PDA

View Full Version : Chip fan failing

Etzell
06-28-2008, 08:05 AM
So, here's the deal. The chip fan on my ASUS A8N-SLI motherboard is failing. When the computer is running, there aren't any issues, my board is currently at 37 degrees (C). But, when I lose power, or shut the computer down for the night, I have to open the case and physically prod the fan for a bit until it decides it feels like spinning when I turn it on the next day. Now, there's an option to disable the warning message and continue on with my reboot.

My build is over 2 years old, so there's no warranty left, and this is apparently a common issue with my motherboard. The question(s) I'm posing to you folk is(are): How simple would it be to replace the fan? Would it be worth it? Should I just say fuck it and ignore the warning message, given how cool my computer is running currently?

Paft
06-28-2008, 08:19 AM
So you have to flickstart the fan nearly every time you switch on the comp?

Replace :)
If you're comfatable doing so the do it.

Prob don't need to know this but..
If the cable plug is unique to the board (dell's usually are) then just buy a fan that connects to the power supply instead and turn the bois warning off. That's what I did on an old dell.

v3rtigo
06-28-2008, 01:09 PM
My board runs at 50 degrees and it doesn't really crash or anything so I don't really think it will matter. BTW, I have an A8n32-SLI deluxe so there should be little difference.

edit: make that 58 :lol:

Innoc
06-28-2008, 03:13 PM
I "think" that the Swiftech mcx159-CU (http://www.frozencpu.com/products/3864/vid-20/Swiftech_MCX159-CU_Universal_Chipset_Heatsink.html?tl=g40c16) will fit your board. It works fairly well...the only thing you have to watch is that it's not compact like your stock one...so you have to verify clearance. I've used them on a number of custom builds in high heat/high availability scenarios.

zSilver_Fox
06-28-2008, 04:04 PM
I overclock on my MSI without any problems with a dead SB fan.

mervaka
07-05-2008, 03:17 PM
fans should be pretty standard and low cost. if you're buying it along with some other bits on and order, then why the hell not? delivery will probably cost more if you bought it on its own.