PDA

View Full Version : LAN Help?

FrenchToast
06-13-2008, 12:28 AM
Yo, bit of a problem here. I've just inherited a new desktop, and I have a lot of files on my laptop that I want to transfer onto it. However, while both the computers can connect to the internet, they're completely unable to contact eachother, and it's driving me mental. I've done all the network setup wizards and shit, but the two computers still refuse to communicate. Any ideas?

Hmmm... when I use the laptop to ping the desktop, the request times out, but from the desktop to the laptop it works fine....

EDIT: Mkay... I think I've figured it out. This fucking Norton antivirus that my dad put on has intrusion prevention and incoming traffic filters and all this bullshit, and I think that's stopping me. The only problem now is i can't figure out for the life of me how to turn it off....

EDIT2: Okay... turned it off, still having troubles. I've now plugged the two computers directly into eachother, and they still don't fucking work.... help?

Circuitous
06-13-2008, 01:11 AM
You have a router, right? And they're both running XP?

Are they connected to the same LAN? (Usin' that network setup wizard, default name MSHOME?)

FrenchToast
06-13-2008, 01:20 AM
they're both on MSHOME, one of them connecting wirelessly to the router, one directly.

Pixel
06-13-2008, 03:22 AM
Do you have a 3rd computer you could plug in?

FrenchToast
06-13-2008, 03:35 AM
I've got 7.... for why?

Mooga
06-13-2008, 10:47 PM
You might need to go in and "open up" rights to the folders.
Have you tried conecting through IPs?

mervaka
06-14-2008, 12:32 AM
this is exactly where XP home stumbles :/

GeoKill----->
06-14-2008, 01:45 AM
Just make a torrent of all the files and thats it, you will dl it really fast.

Mooga
06-14-2008, 03:30 AM
set up an FTP server.

Innoc
06-14-2008, 05:40 AM
FT, if you know the IP's of the computers and they're definitely private addresses (192.168.x.x) then make sure that Windows Firewall and all other firewall software in turned off at least during the time you're trying to share files. If you can ping from one to the other you "should" be able to set up and use file sharing.

Go into Windows Explorer on the machine where you want to do the sharing. Do NOT share the root of your system drive....ever. Find the folder(s) you want to share and right-click on it....select Properties. Within properties select the SHARING tab. Once there select the SHARE THIS FOLDER radio button and give the share a name. You will need to identify which users will have access to this and what permissions they should have. Note that you should NEVER try to do a share with a user name that has a blank password...Windows will/may choke or behave erratically. Once you've done these things go ahead and close Windows Explorer.

From the other machine open up WIndows Explorer. Locate My Network Places and right click on it. Select MAP NETWORK DRIVE. The drive letter really doesn't matter so long as you not trying to use a reserved one or one that's already in use. In the folder place enter the following \\192.168.x.x\share. Replace the x's with the correct octets of the address of the PC where you created your share. Also replace the word "share" with the name of the share you created on the other PC. I would leave RECONNECT AT LOGON unchecked. When you click finish, if all goes well, you should have a useable share that should allow you to transfer what you need.

When you are done with this....remove the share you created. No sense in leaving it there. Then restore your Firewalls if you need it.

Hope you can get what you need.

פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
06-14-2008, 07:44 AM
Do NOT share the root of your system drive....ever.

I'd like to point this out just once more, that's VERY important!
I once did it and you don't wanna know what a mess I had to clean up.

FrenchToast
06-14-2008, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the advice Innoc, but once again my desktop can ping the laptop, but it can't connect to it using Map Network Drive.

And although the desktop connects to the laptop and not vice-versa, this is an issue with the desktop, as that idea worked on every other computer in my house...

Innoc
06-14-2008, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the advice Innoc, but once again my desktop can ping the laptop, but it can't connect to it using Map Network Drive.

And although the desktop connects to the laptop and not vice-versa, this is an issue with the desktop, as that idea worked on every other computer in my house...
Have you tried doing it both directions? Sounds like you still have something firewalling one of the machines. You can put the share on the other machine and make the transfer from the constipated one to your destination.

FrenchToast
06-14-2008, 04:20 PM
Alright, I'll try that after my current BF2 game. I didn't think to try since the laptop can't ping the desktop... but who knows....

FrenchToast
06-14-2008, 04:38 PM
Yup...didn't work.

Innoc
06-15-2008, 03:58 AM
You didn't directly confirm Circ's question about both machines being XP. Are they? It sounds like you may have to resort to something a bit unorthodox to do this successfully. Can you please post the IP's, subnet and gateways of each just so we can eliminate that as an issue?

FrenchToast
06-15-2008, 04:53 AM
Desktop:

Windows XP Pro SP 3

IP 192.168.0.101
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.0.1

Laptop:

Windows XP Home SP 2

IP 192.168.0.102
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.0.1

Innoc
06-15-2008, 01:57 PM
Then it definitely sounds like you're fighting against a firewall issue. I suspect that using non-traditional methods still risk entanglement with the FW. If you know what's running have you tried googling for tips on killing it?

FrenchToast
06-15-2008, 02:31 PM
No, I diddled in msconfig and turned off EVERYTHING, so I have no idea at all what's blocking it.

FrenchToast
06-16-2008, 11:00 PM
So I'm in the process of installing games onto the desktop because it runs everything nicer, and when I tried to install Steam I got this error: Steam.exe (main exception): Unable to load library Steam.dll

I googled it and it seems to happen when people have faulty connections with the net. Mine is obviously working fine, so could these two issues be related? There must be something left on my computer blocking my interwebs.

FrenchToast
06-17-2008, 01:24 AM
Kay, I've decided I'm pissed and I'm going to completely wipe Norton off my computer, but the symantec ftp is down for me right now. Can anyone get to it and download the Norton Uninstall Tool?

I fucking hate this program so much...

EDIT: I DID IT! I FINALLY GOT IT! IT WAS NORTON ALL ALONG! I TURNED OFF EVERY FUCKING FILE THAT PROGRAM WAS USING AND IT STILL FUCKED MY COMPUTER! YAAAAAAAY

Thanks all y'all for your efforts, this is finally done with.

YomMamasHouse
06-17-2008, 02:20 AM
The lesson of this ordeal is: Fuck Norton.

Mulchman MM
06-17-2008, 05:04 AM
or just open ports for netbios to do windows filesharing...

פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
06-17-2008, 12:19 PM
The lesson of this ordeal is: Fuck Norton.