PDA

View Full Version : Should More Games Follow Deus Ex's Damage System?

zSilver_Fox
06-10-2008, 04:13 PM
With All Capital Letters for the First Letter of Each Non-Particle Word in Topic Titles?

In Deus Ex, damage to different parts of your body registered differently. If you were shot in the legs, you would move slower. If both were shot out (100 points of damage to each), you would drop down to the ground at a crawl. Arm hits would reduce accuracy. Damage to the torso and head would kill you after 100 points of damage to either one.

Should more "realistic" games follow this? Nothing is more of a killjoy than playing games that claim to be realistic, yet finding out you can kill people by shooting their toes off.

v3rtigo
06-10-2008, 04:19 PM
I've always thought that deus ex did this nicely, so unless it's a crappy imitation, I'm all for it.

Innoc
06-10-2008, 04:22 PM
I've always thought that deus ex did this nicely, so unless it's a crappy imitation, I'm all for it.
+1

It's always cracked me up to be able to off a bad guy by putting a half a dozen rounds into his foot...

Hawk Eye
06-10-2008, 10:59 PM
If the game is going for realism, I think this would be great. Then again.. a body only has so much blood after being shot in the legs so much.

Bleeding DoT would get annoying for most people though, methinks.

fireb0rn
06-10-2008, 11:08 PM
I thought it was cool in Fallout 1 & 2, though VATS in Fallout 3 just sounds weird. More games should do this, as long as it's done well. Damaging body parts should be more strategic rather than simply aiming for the eyes/etc all the time though.

Anshinritsumai
06-11-2008, 12:38 AM
I'm all for it if the game is going for realism. Add in a little Euphoria middleware to get those limping physics-based animations.. le w00t.

bokko
06-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Wouldn't you collapse and black out from the pain, and then bleed to death though?

Circuitous
06-13-2008, 12:53 AM
Not if you were cybernetically enhanced in all of these games.

If you're going to do a properly realistic damage system, pretty much anything that doesn't just graze you will take you out of the fight.

If you shoot me in the leg, fuck it. I'm down. None of this "oh I can still walk I'm just a little slower," I'm done. I guess I could try hopping but I get the distinct impression that moving my shot leg around a bunch, even if it's just from the inertia of hobbling, would hurt like a bitch.

Arm hits would reduce my accuracy in that I'd stop holding the weapon up because my damn arm has a bullet and/or hole in it.

So yeah if you've got cybernetics or heavy armor or some shit, Deus Ex's system makes a fair amount of sense, but for most "realistic" games it'd just be... well, awkward. Better than dying in one hit, but awkward.

Suite307
06-13-2008, 06:03 PM
Not if you were cybernetically enhanced in all of these games.

If you're going to do a properly realistic damage system, pretty much anything that doesn't just graze you will take you out of the fight.

If you shoot me in the leg, fuck it. I'm down. None of this "oh I can still walk I'm just a little slower," I'm done. I guess I could try hopping but I get the distinct impression that moving my shot leg around a bunch, even if it's just from the inertia of hobbling, would hurt like a bitch.

Arm hits would reduce my accuracy in that I'd stop holding the weapon up because my damn arm has a bullet and/or hole in it.

So yeah if you've got cybernetics or heavy armor or some shit, Deus Ex's system makes a fair amount of sense, but for most "realistic" games it'd just be... well, awkward. Better than dying in one hit, but awkward.
CO-CO-CO-COMBO BREAKER!

zSilver_Fox
06-14-2008, 12:02 AM
Inappropriate use of memes = fail. Unless you were trying to abstract it a bit by applying it to the breaking of logic, in which case, you fail for mixing intelligence with memes.

Circ, you could also hold it up with your other hand/arm, which would greatly reduce accuracy. Plus, dropping down to the ground sounds like a good idea.

Crazycarl
06-14-2008, 12:41 AM
No sense in worrying about realism when you have magic health kits that cure bullet wounds anyway.

That health system really just adds a bit of micromanagement to the system. I think it's kind of pointless in a single player game, unless you give the player some way of protecting body parts from enemy fire. In muultiplayer I think it'd be pretty cool.

Circuitous
06-14-2008, 07:40 PM
Inappropriate use of memes = fail. Unless you were trying to abstract it a bit by applying it to the breaking of logic, in which case, you fail for mixing intelligence with memes.

Circ, you could also hold it up with your other hand/arm, which would greatly reduce accuracy. Plus, dropping down to the ground sounds like a good idea.

I guess if you were dead set on getting in a few more shots before they finally put one in your head, yeah.

Edit: Also, that motivational poster is accurate. I installed Deus Ex yesterday.

Damascus
06-15-2008, 04:05 PM
It would be nice, I guess...

Kinda cheap if you shoot bullets to both legs, so your enemy goes to a crawl... then hold a pistol into his forehead... And then shoot about 99081301 bullets into his brain.

Suite307
06-15-2008, 09:12 PM
I got invisible war, i put everything in my arms and now i'm beating the crap out of people.

zSilver_Fox
06-16-2008, 01:35 AM
Failure sequel. Deus Ex is king.

greenday5494
06-16-2008, 01:39 AM
i enjoyed system shock 2

Etzell
06-16-2008, 02:23 AM
Giving a fuck about usage of memes is far worse than misusing them. When idiotic memes have rules, there's a problem.

greenday5494
06-16-2008, 02:31 AM
well, he's using a meme when he's comdeming use of a meme. Fail is pretty much a meme, which he uses all the time, and is getting tediuous, old and annoying

zSilver_Fox
06-16-2008, 02:43 AM
well, he's using a meme when he's comdeming use of a meme. Fail is pretty much a meme, which he uses all the time, and is getting tediuous, old and annoying
Bitching about random people online isn't normal. On meth, it is.

Thinking that "Fail" is a meme when I'm using it as a contraction of "failure", going along Super Smash Brothers isn't normal. On meth, it is.

Greenday, you must be on meth. Bonus cookies to whoever remembers that meme. But Etzell's just an angry person. Like Skanky.

greenday5494
06-16-2008, 05:07 AM
Bitching about random people online isn't normal. On meth, it is.

Thinking that "Fail" is a meme when I'm using it as a contraction of "failure", going along Super Smash Brothers isn't normal. On meth, it is.

Greenday, you must be on meth. Bonus cookies to whoever remembers that meme. But Etzell's just an angry person. Like Skanky.
I love your irony.

zSilver_Fox
06-16-2008, 05:18 AM
It's what I do best. Some people call it hypocrisy though. I just like to consider myself an asshole.

greenday5494
06-16-2008, 05:30 AM
well, imma go ahead nad leave this thread so you guys can continue your assholery and discussing epic games.

Constipated_Zombie
06-16-2008, 07:36 AM
Being an asshole is great. Some people just don't know what they're missing.

Etzell
06-16-2008, 08:16 AM
Funny assholes are good to have around. Pathetic ones, well, they somewhat explain themselves.

Ihmhi
06-16-2008, 09:40 AM
I remember reading about a fighting game where you can break bones with certain hits and further incapicate your opponent. This was like 5 years ago?

Damned thing never came out. ):<

Circuitous
06-16-2008, 08:29 PM
I remember reading about a fighting game where you can break bones with certain hits and further incapicate your opponent. This was like 5 years ago?

Damned thing never came out. ):<

Bio F.R.E.A.K.S. (a little-known fighter on N64/PS1) had this, although you're probably thinking of Tao Feng: Fist of the Lotus, as made by Mortal Kombat co-creator John Tobias. It did come out.

That or you meant Thrill Kill, but that was released on the internet.

Ihmhi
06-16-2008, 08:36 PM
I don't remember what it was. It was a loooong time ago...

Circuitous
06-16-2008, 08:36 PM
Do you remember what it looked like, what system it was on, etc.?

Skanky Butterpuss
06-16-2008, 08:38 PM
definitely not thrill kill. i modded my old ps2 so i could play that game, and it was badass (for being a ps1 game). but there was no bone breaking thing that hes talking about, just really cool character designs and finishing moves :)

Circuitous
06-16-2008, 08:40 PM
Prolly Tao Feng, then.

Bio F.R.E.A.K.S. had a character with a backhand chop move, just hit Back+Punch. If it hit a standing opponent, it decapitated them, and you'd win. Good way to pick on stupid players.

Guilty Gear was worse, though. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=rpj4O7CBnD8)

Damascus
06-16-2008, 08:47 PM
Inappropriate use of memes = fail. Unless you were trying to abstract it a bit by applying it to the breaking of logic, in which case, you fail for mixing intelligence with memes. Over 9000, b*tch.

(on topic)
I just noticed - wouldn't this system of damage be cheap?

v3rtigo
06-16-2008, 09:22 PM
Why?

Damascus
06-17-2008, 12:09 AM
Shoot both legs, arms, and he's all yours.

v3rtigo
06-17-2008, 10:23 AM
As long as the same goes for you and your enemies are actually intelligent, I don't see how this is unfair. Of course, level design would play a huge part in this.

FrenchToast
06-24-2008, 10:52 PM
Shoot both legs, arms, and he's all yours.

In the mean time, get shot in the face. Arms and legs are small fickle things, and much harder to hit.