PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to bitch about RPGs.

Credge
05-31-2008, 03:26 AM
Or rather, I'm going to bitch about people having a hard time classifying games because they are butt-hurt that what they think an RPG is is all that RPGs are.

The majority of genres of games are actually RPGs. Any game where you, a player, play a character, you are playing an RPG. The player does need a myriad of choices, multiple levels of good and bad, etc. All that needs to exist are:

1. A main character.

2. A story.

That is it. If there is a main character and a story, it is an RPG. Very. Simple.

This is the very basic definition of an RPG.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_game

http://www.answers.com/topic/role-playing-game?cat=technology

If you want to argue with this fact, you can take it up with wikipedia. I have layed down the definitions for the discussion and if you have beef with it, take it up with them.

The definition, of course, is really fucking obvious and self explanatory and shouldn't be debated at all.

So, why do people get confused with this? Because they want to feel like if they don't have complete control over every aspect of their character, such as an infinite scope of good, evil, and everything in between then they aren't playing an RPG. The problem with this, though, is that it doesn't even fit with the entire premise of a role playing game.

Role playing games are not about the choices you make, but how you make them. It shouldn't matter if there are only three choices (good, bad, and neutral) to a situation. Do you really think it's going to matter if you say "No, I'm not going to give you my money" and "DIE YOU VILLAINOUS THIEF!"? The outcome will be exactly the same... the thief will mug you.

In D&D, you are, usually, following a plot that is written in a book somewhere. This, in the exact same sense, is exactly like playing a game like Final Fantasy. It matters not if you cast magic missile into the darkness or if you rush into the caverns of Kltuch'ka shouting your name at the top of your lungs. The fact that you are playing a character in a story is all that is required.

It is also very true that some FPS games are RPGs as well. An example of such a game is Half-Life.

Two questions to be asked.

1. Who is the main character of Half-Life?

2. What is the plot of Half-Life?

*SHOCK*
*GASP*
*HORROR*

IT FITS THE CRITERIA! AMAZING! What a fucking shocker.

The reason for this, though, is because the definition of RPG is broader than my asshole. This is why I can easily say that the majority of games are, in fact, role playing games because they fit the bill! This is why, when talking about games, we use subgenres to define them.

FPSRPG
ActionRPG
StrategyRPG
MMORPG
E.T.C.

Generally, though, a game is only considered an RPG (in todays gaming market) if the following exist:

1. Stats

2. Levels

3. Inventory

If the game only has one of these, they are considered to have RPG elements. Sadly, these are not actually RPG elements at all. They are, however, what people have grown to know as what defines RPG.

So, yes, FF:T is a fucking RPG. You play as a nearly-fully customizable character (the only thing you can't customize is his gender and appearance) that follows the incredibly deep plot of the Lion War.

If you actually think that role playing games are an incredibly narrow genre then you are sadly mistaken. You goshdarned cunts.

P.S. Fuck.

squeek.
05-31-2008, 03:47 AM
Hi Credge.

Circuitous
05-31-2008, 04:15 AM
If you want to argue with this fact, you can take it up with wikipedia. I have layed down the definitions for the discussion and if you have beef with it, take it up with them.

Within the rules, players can improvise freely; their choices shape the direction and outcome of the games.

My post is shorter than yours because I know what I'm talking about.

leilei
05-31-2008, 05:05 AM
RPGs suck because they take too long to reload and I don't really have a satisfactory payload with them.

zSilver_Fox
05-31-2008, 04:34 PM
Especially in Day of Defeat. Seriously, a Panzershreck can hit four feet from you and you won't die. But perhaps you should invest in a blog, Credge. You have a lot of anger to get out of your system.

leilei
05-31-2008, 05:27 PM
you also have the hair and appropriate glasses to get on myspace

Circuitous
05-31-2008, 08:27 PM
But perhaps you should invest in a blog, Credge. You have a lot of anger to get out of your system.

I'd read it.

Suite307
05-31-2008, 11:15 PM
Classifying games is like classifying techno nowadays, you shouldn't give a shit about what they are and enjoy the shit out of them. You guys just sound like assholes.

zSilver_Fox
05-31-2008, 11:35 PM
Credge just needs to feel important.

Credge
05-31-2008, 11:39 PM
My post is shorter than yours because I know what I'm talking about.

Weird, you'd think with what you quoted you would have been able to read the first three words, yeah?

Within the rules, players can improvise freely; their choices shape the direction and outcome of the games.

Yeah? The rules? Weird, because, last time I checked, the rules of all games dictate what you can and can't do in a game, making that entire sentence a complete waste of time.

"Oh, you can do whatever you want... as long as it is within these guidelines."

SOUNDS LIKE EVERY GAME EVER MADE, YEAH?

YEAH?

YEAH????

Credge just needs to feel important.

No, it's amusing to watch people squirm when they realize that everything is an RPG because the definition of RPG is wider than the hole in their soul after realizing it.

It's also amusing because nobody can define RPG coherently without leaving out a wide spectrum of what the genre actually is.

It's sort of like when people don't really understand what a word means, such as download.

Etzell
06-01-2008, 12:04 AM
Yeah, but saying that almost everything is in the genre is fucking obvious. If someone says: "I want a good RPG", you don't just hand them HL2, unless you're trying to be a twat. They say they want an RPG, they're looking for a more specific type of game than: "Duuur I play as a character with a story", and I think you know that.

Regardless of its Wiki definition, there are cases where it helps to be specific. I don't know why you'd even try to argue that.

zSilver_Fox
06-01-2008, 02:52 AM
No, it's amusing to watch people squirm when they realize that everything is an RPG because the definition of RPG is wider than the hole in their soul after realizing it.

It's also amusing because nobody can define RPG coherently without leaving out a wide spectrum of what the genre actually is.

It's sort of like when people don't really understand what a word means, such as download.

Case in point. But allow me to define it by industry terms: A game that revolves around a character's choices and whos storyline is influenced by them to a much larger extent than other games.

Shooters are linear. GTA3 and beyond can be considered RPGs in a loose context, but more of a sandbox RPG. An RPG tends to revolve around one character and that character's development along with what I stated above.

You really do need to feel important on here, don't you? First you rant about how all the games in the world are similar because they use humans for main characters, now you rant about all the games in the world being RPGs because there's a focus on a character and a light storyline.

Nezumi
06-01-2008, 06:35 AM
I like a good argument, so I won't fault Credge for starting this thread. :P

BUT I take issue with his definition of RPG. Mainly, Wikipedia's definition of RPGs is very broad. In the specific case of videogames, RPG has become a term that refers to games where your character gains attributes by defeating enemies.

So, a game like FF:T is an RPG because getting into random fights will get you more xp/jp/etc. that is used to increase the power of your character.
Games like Battlefield 2 are also an RPG because, even though there's no plot or character, you gain points for weapon unlocks by killing other players. A game like Super Metroid is NOT an RPG because even though you power up through the whole game by picking up energy tanks, new guns and so on, you do not gain strength by beating up enemies.

Now sometimes this definition can be a little ambiguous. The Penny Arcade Xbox Arcade game may not be an RPG because there are a fixed number of enemies in the game. After you kill them all, you're at full power, and you can no longer increase your stats. (actually, there are enemies you don't have to defeat to complete the game, so it's not like you can consider every fight to be a plot event that results in stat increase, which would preclude RPG status, as opposed to killing your enemy being the cause for stat increase). So it is an RPG, with a really low level cap, but if you HAD to kill every enemy in the game to beat it, it wouldn't be.

ICB
06-01-2008, 09:15 AM
Isn't it self-evident which games are RPGs? Nobody says FF is an RTS, nobody calls Diablo/II a FPS and I don't believe I've heard Age of Empires referred to as an RPG.

Battle on.

Circuitous
06-01-2008, 11:08 PM
a bunch of weird, probably unnecessarily loud, shit

"Within the rules" assumes that, at some point, the game actually has rules for defining the world around it and the character being played.

In Half-Life, are there any "rules" for, say, beating a level ahead of schedule and averting the entire Black Mesa crisis, or really even doing anything that wasn't completely scripted in advance with only one proper way to complete it? Say no, because there isn't.

If a game doesn't even have the rules, the "Within the rules" part becomes superfluous: an RPG is no longer being defined here.

I don't see your need to complicate this.

I can offer you a concession: by the Wikipedia definition (honestly the very concept of a Wikipedia definition strikes me as pointless, it's a damn wiki), more games could be considered RPGs than I would give credit for such. FFT would, as far as Wikipedia is concerned, be an RPG.

As a purist, I stand by my point that it's not really an RPG, and you'll never, ever, under any circumstances, change my mind about that. If that was your goal, give up, because you failed before you even started. But Wikipedia is, for what it's worth, on your side.

Nezumi
06-02-2008, 02:59 AM
My argument is based on functional usage and is, therefore, substantiable.

Point Nezumi.

פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
06-02-2008, 11:46 AM
You're all gamernazis.

Oh, I'm sorry, RPGnazis!

KubeDawg
06-02-2008, 04:22 PM
I play Runescape.

uBeR
06-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Credge always complains about the most nonsensical things over. First for Gordon having brown hair, and now this. Ridiculous.

פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
06-02-2008, 04:53 PM
Credge always complains about the most nonsensical things over. First for Gordon having brown hair, and now this. Ridiculous.

GORDON HAS BROWN HAIR????

Nezumi
06-04-2008, 05:36 AM
No, everyone knows it's actually green.

Handym
06-22-2008, 11:37 AM
I play Runescape.
FAIL

Constipated_Zombie
06-23-2008, 01:38 AM
I play Sherwood.

Skanky Butterpuss
06-24-2008, 03:11 AM
I play Sherwood.

i used sherwood for years, but switched to the easton synergy because i needed more speed and a better shot from the point. more expensive, but many much more gooder.

Suite307
06-24-2008, 08:25 PM
i used sherwood for years, but switched to the easton synergy because i needed more speed and a better shot from the point. more expensive, but many much more gooder.
HOCKEY STICKS OF +3 ACCURACY!