PDA

View Full Version : European ladder, interest?

thiz
05-27-2008, 01:47 AM
I'm hoping to get some competition going in europe again, it's got a bit stale recently. No one is doing much about it.

How well would a 4v4, 15 minutes as offence, 15 minutes as defence per map game style be accepted?

I would prefer 8v8 but it's probably not viable just now, until we get more players. So is there enough interest? :)

I'm sure we can rely on the regulars from =AS=, [HoL] and [-], as well as maybe bringing a few in from #tf.pickup players and former / half assed guys like xeno and USRF. I've asked a guy who used to run a TFC ladder for help, anyone who knows about this kind would be appreciated.

Dr.Satan
05-27-2008, 02:17 AM
UGC is fully prepared AND willing to start up a euro league...just need to playerbase to get it running...

thiz
05-27-2008, 02:39 AM
Yeah it's appreciated Dr. Satan. I might be calling on you guys for help, do you have formulae for this kind of thing? I'm hoping to emulate Wireplay TFC ladder if anyone remember that, I've asked SteveP who used to run that for help. It's got to the stage where we can't realistically have a league anymore, we just don't have enough. A ladder would allow clans to join / leave etc. and should be more suited I think, at least help build a playerbase for league to start.

pF
05-27-2008, 06:37 AM
I agree, a ladder format is better suited to the fairly quiet .eu clan scene..

I'm not sure what's going on with DoP, but any way i'd be glad to participate in a match or two, either as merc or maybe as part of a "player pool clan". Would be great to get something moving.

thiz
05-27-2008, 02:27 PM
Turns out it wasn't SteveP but Edge that used to run it, so that's not good :(

I had a look at Case's ladder though, you can set up a ladder etc. but it's a lot more complicated than we need.

BlisTer
05-27-2008, 05:16 PM
We've still got 6 active FFers in [-], so yeah we're up for it. Even though 3 (maybe 4) clans is very little, we might turn those sunday night pickups into a "king of the ladder" kind of thing, for laughs ;)

DISASSEMBLER
05-27-2008, 05:43 PM
UGC offers both, ladder or season formats. It is the amount of clans is the problem. But I can see a 4 or 5 vs being easier for teams to get together, then 8vs.
Check out our site http://www.ugcleague.com We are running TFC, FF & TF2 leagues. Some are ladder, some are season formats.
We have an FF Europe section already set for seasons, but can be changed and can modify the rules from 8vs to 4vs.

thiz
05-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Well a 4v4 ladder sounds good to me.

If you can get another two players to sign up blister you can have 2 teams [-]a and [-]b etc.

myersjr
05-27-2008, 06:39 PM
Well a 4v4 ladder sounds good to me.

If you can get another two players to sign up blister you can have 2 teams [-]a and [-]b etc.

Thiz, does it have to be euro players?? I would be willing to step in and play a few games if it helps to accomplish the goal..granted, im not that great a player, but i will help out new folks if i can. Hope that counts for something..another thing to account for is time difference..usually the best time for gaming for me, is Sunday afternoon or evening. I think if it gets too late, most of the euro guys will have gone to bed..remember the match i scheduled with you guys?? Even though no one showed up, it was a good start time..something like 1pm our time, 9pm your time..I couldnt really get there much sooner than that..church and all..

pF
05-28-2008, 11:36 PM
I don't see why it would need to be restricted to EU players.. i think there were people from Europe playing in UGC no?

DISASSEMBLER
05-28-2008, 11:40 PM
There wouldn't be any restriction to EU players. Just the NA players would have to deal with EU times. Like the EU players that deal with the NA league times.

thiz
06-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Yeah I'd be happy for americans to play in it aslong as they didn't insist on playing at bad times for europeans. Clans can sort between them the best time though.

Dr.Satan
06-01-2008, 07:52 PM
I think if we get an EU league going...then it should be at prime time for EU clans and if NA players and / or clans wished to play they should have to play at the same time. Just makes more since IMO since we don't really change the time for any EU clans to play in the NA leagues.

zE
06-02-2008, 12:05 AM
Ye that pickup format would be ideal, 4 vs 4 15 min off/15 min def, ladder style. Would be perfect cuse 4 its easy to get, and maybe we could enter with 2 teams lolz AS a and AS b : )

reaper18
06-02-2008, 01:50 PM
lol, im sure US clans could compete as well.
Seeing as the pings arent that bad for the most part.

thiz
06-02-2008, 03:03 PM
Well is it possible for UGC to set this up? I don't see a ladder on your site. looking on the web it seems most companies charge for ladder websites, nothing that looks too great either.

Dr.Satan
06-03-2008, 01:42 AM
there is a UGC EU ladder...can't remember what format it is for, but that can always be changed:

http://www.ugcleague.com//home_ffeu.cfm

zE
06-03-2008, 09:45 PM
the format was 7vs7 or 8vs8 i think, put it in 4 v 4 :P

thiz
06-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Yeah if you could scrap whats been done before and start again with a 4v4 format and new signups allowed all the time.

Do you have an automated point system / calculator thing on this? i.e. clans just play and put in the scores?

Bakez
06-10-2008, 11:19 PM
Your work for FF is appreciated thiz.

!nF3D4L
06-10-2008, 11:40 PM
thiz best thing to do is go to ugc forums and pm dissambler your ideas or padawan that way they can talk to u about getting things going

Mase
06-11-2008, 07:41 AM
Looking forward to it tbh

DISASSEMBLER
06-16-2008, 09:57 AM
Yeah if you could scrap whats been done before and start again with a 4v4 format and new signups allowed all the time.

Do you have an automated point system / calculator thing on this? i.e. clans just play and put in the scores?

We'll most likely scrap the 8vs ladder for the 4vs, which is not that hard to do. It's just the webmaster and I both have little time atm and need some time to get this together for all of you. 2 or 3 weeks, but I am not promising that deadline at this time. But I will promise a 4vs ladder asap.

Yes, the site is fully automated for the clan leaders to add players to the rosters and report scores after matches are played, then the site calculates the places.

Please keep discussing and rule sets or maps that you will want to see. You can discuss here or at the UGC forums.

thiz
06-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Just posting this here cause no one seems to have seen it on ugc, discuss!

4 vs 4
15 minutes as offence, 15 minutes as defence per map
open signups
clans have A teams and B teams (C teams if they have the members)
clans from around the world can play, but they must play at EU times if playing an EU clan
games can be organised as one quick half hour map if the clans can decide 1 map
if clans can't decide on a map, or just want to play 2, 2 maps are played over 1 hour (15/15/15/15)
no players can be transferred between map reloads, so people have to be skilled at offence and defence
cap each clan at around 6 (maybe?) members, getting people to play rather than sit in a clan that has too many members
winner of an all spy knife fight gets to choose offence or defence first? :)

I dunno about class restrictions / midfield defence etc. don't think we need rules on it really.

=AS= Pt
06-17-2008, 11:42 AM
I dunno about class restrictions / midfield defence etc. don't think we need rules on it really.

I'm quite a clan rules defender, so i think having no Bt its a must. As long as for no hw atack...i think it is one exclusive defence classe, but the scout "man cannon" makes it easy to off, so i'm not a fundamentalist in this ^_^

I like all the other points. Specialy the spy figh (lol =) ... ) and the 15/15/15/15 ... 1 hour niiiice

thiz
06-17-2008, 04:35 PM
can't backtrack because there's only one team with offence, it's just whether or not we rule out defence outside of the base or not, i.e. hwguy front door on monkey, soldier outside base openfire.. these can work but do we want it?

pF
06-17-2008, 06:34 PM
HW at door while the flag is in FR or on the move? two different situations..

Opty
06-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Sounds good :)...

Although it might be an idea to clarify server issues, would clans from around the world be expected to play on an EU server (if playing an EU clan), or would it be a home and away type jobby?

thiz
06-17-2008, 11:07 PM
Hmm, well what do people think? I don't mind playing on a US server too much, but I would rather not really, I suppose we have to see if anyone signs up first too :p

pF
06-18-2008, 01:08 AM
Hm well, since it's a ladder and clans will make their own arrangements for matches anyway, i'd say leave that decision up the clans as well.. but yeah, it does kind of lose its .eu bias that way..

Gator-
06-19-2008, 03:17 AM
well the game is small right now, so you have no choice but to accept non-eu applications for now (if any non-eu clan signs to being with..)

the home | away format is run by the league, so if an American clan decides to sign up you'll have to play in their server for one round

I've notice that the ping doesn't really lower my performance much....so I might sign up the goodfellas for some 4v4 action

zE
06-19-2008, 05:58 PM
Its ok to us clans to aply but..if i aplyed in UGC league i would have to play both maps in us servers, so if it was a eu league, both maps would be played in eu servers, whats kinda logic tbh. If its one map in a eu server and other map in a us server.We wont join tbh : \ soz but no fun playng with 180 ping..

Skanky Butterpuss
06-19-2008, 08:20 PM
Its ok to us clans to aply but..if i aplyed in UGC league i would have to play both maps in us servers

is that in the rules or something that i missed? i always thought that it was 1 round in each teams server, regardless of location...

Gator-
06-20-2008, 04:15 PM
Its ok to us clans to aply but..if i aplyed in UGC league i would have to play both maps in us servers, so if it was a eu league, both maps would be played in eu servers, whats kinda logic tbh. If its one map in a eu server and other map in a us server.We wont join tbh : \ soz but no fun playng with 180 ping..
actually no

clans from around the world can play, but they must play at EU times if playing an EU clan

doesnt necessarily mean that we have to play in eu servers both rds :P

Bully
06-20-2008, 04:38 PM
actually no

doesnt necessarily mean that we have to play in eu servers both rds :P

Is this thread titled EUROPEAN ladder interest or world ladder interest?

Your right Ze it's no fun at all playing with a big ping, especially in a match.
WhenFFouted last year just before the FF NTFCL games we did [HoL] played a US clan on their server for both rounds, it was hell tbh and if we hadn't have been hampered by the lag we might have scraped a draw from what i can remember.

It is do-able tho at a push but if it's a euro league / ladder then the games should stay on euro servers imho.

BlisTer
06-20-2008, 05:37 PM
Well if that will keep US clans from joining then i'd rather play 1 on eu serv and 1 on us server.

!nF3D4L
06-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Only dedicated servers in the continental United States running on a T1 or better connection can be used for matches unless both teams agree ahead and in a logged form.

Therefore i can only expect it would be the same with the euro leauge

zE
06-20-2008, 08:15 PM
Well if that will keep US clans from joining then i'd rather play 1 on eu serv and 1 on us server.
Lol u guys are funny, being that way, its very simple, and i have the solution, just sign up in us leagues ugc or the other one that i dont recall the name. simple tbh! but i dont recall any eu clan joining a us league.. any idea why : O, i have a slight idea why.. 8 pm us = midnight , and frickin pings ^^

thiz
06-21-2008, 11:26 AM
Tough one, don't want to exclude US clans or exclude european clans that don't want to play on US servers...

What if we had a US side and a EU side, with the top 1 or 3 clans play off for gold / silver / bronze world champ spots or something?

I realise there is not a lot of EU clans, but that's exactly why we need a ladder, I don't see a rush of EU clans signing up to the current UGC (US) league :(