PDA

View Full Version : Loading games into an emulator

myersjr
04-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Hey guys, was wondering how many of u have any experience with emulators. I have one sitting on my computer, but have to admit that the directions give no clue as to how to load stuff into them. Whatever info is provided in the readme.txt is very general and or vague at best. Any ideas??

Hawk Eye
04-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Can you specify the emulator program you are using?

Pixel
04-02-2008, 10:23 PM

. .

Mooga
04-02-2008, 11:14 PM
Game System Emulators? Computer Emulators? OS Emulators?

Circuitous
04-03-2008, 01:18 AM
Definitely a lack of information in this topic.

Suite307
04-03-2008, 03:18 AM
EMULATION STARTER GUIDE!
You need :
Roms / Isos - ( Which are games and roms are for catridge games and isos are for games that are from Cds )
Emulator - For the console you want to emulate.

leilei
04-03-2008, 03:49 AM
You can try reading the readme file it comes with.

Do people do that anymore or do they think they're too cool for that?

Circuitous
04-03-2008, 05:04 AM
If I had a nickel for every useless readme file, I'd have a lot of nickels.

'Course if I had a negative nickel, an anti-nickel if you will, for every website or forum that covered what the readme couldn't, I'd only have about twenty cents.

Firefox11
04-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Say, for example, you've got a SNES emulator. ZSNES, Snes9x, whichever. To play the games, you'll have to search for [name of the game] ROM, so if you want, say FFVI, you should search for "FFVI SNES ROM". Searching for "SNES ROMs" will probably give you websites with tons of ROMs. This procedure applies with all the Cartridge based consoles - Genesis, NES, GBA, etc.

If you are looking for CD based games, like PSX, you'll need to DL the ISO of the game. Usually, setting up CD console emulators is way harder than Cartridge ones.

When you've got everything, start up the emu, and search for "Load ROM/ISO". Click there, search the game, load. Then notice you don't know which keys you have to press to play, so configure the buttons however you like.

פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
04-04-2008, 10:47 AM
I had a C64 emulator once...

Damn I need to download that again and beat Ghostbusters for once and for all!

myersjr
04-21-2008, 04:39 PM

Sorry, i lost this topic. Its an snes emulator..dontknow the title right off hand..if m not mistaken, its zsnes..yeah, thats the one..

myersjr
04-21-2008, 04:41 PM
Say, for example, you've got a SNES emulator. ZSNES, Snes9x, whichever. To play the games, you'll have to search for [name of the game] ROM, so if you want, say FFVI, you should search for "FFVI SNES ROM". Searching for "SNES ROMs" will probably give you websites with tons of ROMs. This procedure applies with all the Cartridge based consoles - Genesis, NES, GBA, etc.

If you are looking for CD based games, like PSX, you'll need to DL the ISO of the game. Usually, setting up CD console emulators is way harder than Cartridge ones.

When you've got everything, start up the emu, and search for "Load ROM/ISO". Click there, search the game, load. Then notice you don't know which keys you have to press to play, so configure the buttons however you like.

I know there were a few sites that i checked out. Should i check back with you when i find some?? Id love to find a few snes rpg's..i loved those breath of fire games..im telling you..

Suite307
04-21-2008, 06:01 PM
Breath Of Fire 3 and 4 is available on PC :D

myersjr
04-21-2008, 06:31 PM

I really liked the first two. BOF 3 i didnt care for very much. The fishing mini game was cool but the whole game as a general rule kinda sucked..didnt like the look or the feel of it..but if i could grab the first two onto this emulator that i have, that would be kicking.

I had the snes but i had to give it away, cuz i had no room. At the time, i had 1 8bit nintendo, nintendo 64, playstation, ps2..and the super nes. Just not enough room for all the gaming systems..plus, i had really put alot of time into the Resident evil and Final Fantasy games, so its like i had also forgotten about my snes..

SizeableSSonic
04-21-2008, 07:15 PM
CoolRom (http://www.coolrom.com/) has a lot of roms. No ESA stuff though-which means to Mario, Donkey Kong, etc.

myersjr
04-21-2008, 07:19 PM
CoolRom (http://www.coolrom.com/) has a lot of roms. No ESA stuff though-which means to Mario, Donkey Kong, etc.

Would you be able to explain loading them up into this emulator?? In laymans terms??

Suite307
04-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Click Load / Load Rom in your emulator software.
Explore till you find where you put your Rom
Double Click / click load.
Enjoy.

It all depends on the emulator really. ZSNES is rather newbie-friendly :D.

TheWetMule
04-21-2008, 09:38 PM

Wat. When did this happen D:?

Firefox11
04-21-2008, 10:08 PM
You could check Emu Paradise (www.emuparadise.org too) (May be not child safe, I think they had a few hentai ads or something). Has plenty of ROMs, not only from SNES but Genesis, handhelds and others. I'm not sure if it's legal tho =| But it has BoF 1&2 to download if you want them.

When you get the ROM, it usually is compressed, either by .zip, .rar or whatever. You've got two options then:
- Try to run it while compressed
- Uncompress it in a separate folder and load the .rom file alone
I do the latter, just because I'm like that. Also, some ROMs don't work properly while compressed, so I take the safe way.

Either way, fire up the emulator. First thing you should do is make it so it's comfortable for you to use, so change the resolution (careful with this... 16 bits at full screen it's NOT pretty), the controls, etc. When you are done, click the main menu (in my case, running ZSNES, the GAME menu, open by default when you fire the emulator) and choose Load ROM/Load. A window will appear asking for the ROM direction, so navigate through all your folders until you find it. Double click, enjoy.

Also, most of the emulators have "Save state" slots and a Quick Save/Load. In ZSNES I think they are F2 and F4, while F1 lets you choose the Save state slot, while in Snes9x I think it was something like Ctrl + FX keys to save and FX keys to load (in this case, each FX key is a save state on his own). This feature saves the game in the point you pressed the buttons. Careful though, since any accidental load after a regular ingame save will override the ingame save if the Save State was made before saving (since you actually haven't saved the game). Many saves have died because of this, so please be careful.

=D

Iggy
04-22-2008, 12:09 AM
I hate using emulators.

Seriously. It's much better to play on the real hardware, with the real controllers/joystick/paddles/track-ball/etc..... than running emulation.

No bullshit, I have an original Atari 2600(which was bought for me back in '78)...all original hardware Commodore 64's, Amiga systems....you name it.

I may have a shitload of hardware/systems, but they are all original, and well maintained.

myersjr
04-22-2008, 03:03 PM
I hate using emulators.

Seriously. It's much better to play on the real hardware, with the real controllers/joystick/paddles/track-ball/etc..... than running emulation.

No bullshit, I have an original Atari 2600(which was bought for me back in '78)...all original hardware Commodore 64's, Amiga systems....you name it.

I may have a shitload of hardware/systems, but they are all original, and well maintained.

Pretty impressive iggy. But, as earlier stated, i gave away a few of my systems. Didnt have the room for them.. :/ I didnt want to have to unplug and replug. Lazy i guess.. :)