PDA

View Full Version : Badlands - Make all posts related to this map here

o_osiris
04-25-2005, 06:51 AM
Here's my official Badlands remake thread, just like with Warpath, this is designed so that any comments, questions, and requests you guys have will be seen by myself. Also, all updates and status reports will be made here so if you'd like to keep informed, check back often.

Current Status:
Basic Brushwork: 70%
Detail Brushwork: 5% (includes displacements)
Texturing: 0%
Optimization: 0%
Entities: 0%

I should be able to get some screenshots up within the next few days, though I cannot promise that they will be ingame shots.

Idea:
So I have this idea that the pipe-entrance into each base could be made to open with a detpack (un-close-able). It could add some extra use to having a demoman in the map and it might add a little extra teamwork to defend from having it opened up. This is just a thought and won't be implemented if the general thoughts are negative, what do you guys think of this?

o_otiz
04-25-2005, 08:01 AM
Good luck with it, I'm sure it'll be great based on your Warpath pics ;)

o_etzell
04-25-2005, 11:50 AM
As per your idea, I don't think it's a good one. I mean, face it, what's the point of defending an entrance that simply leads to a ladder. It makes much more sense to defend the staircase, so you get all incoming O from the front doors (or just the ones that don't conc into the FR) AND incoming O from that pipe.

o_eradicatus
04-25-2005, 02:52 PM
How do you know exactly how many % you have finished?

This puzzles me everytime.

:)

o_osiris
04-25-2005, 02:55 PM
im physcic

o_travis dane
04-25-2005, 04:08 PM
im physcic

*psychic

Spelling 50% of your post incorrectly is not a good thing :lol:.

On-topic,
Yes I agree other classes should play larger roles in base-breaking (demos blowing entrances, engies constructing ladders etc).

o_sobe green
04-25-2005, 04:13 PM
In public play it would be great. I'm not sure if anyone would bother guarding it in a match as it is easier to guard the ladder or tunnel itself.

But thats what I've always liked about well. The first line of defense should be at that grate. Things like this adds to teamplay IMO.

I've always wanted more maps to have small things like this. It makes no sense that a "fortress" or "fort" or "base" would just have an open area for passage by anyone.

o_osiris
04-25-2005, 04:37 PM
*psychic

Spelling 50% of your post incorrectly is not a good thing :lol:.
I knew I had that spelt wrong I just couldnt bother to find a spellchecker *shrugs*

o_binarylife
04-25-2005, 04:46 PM
Eye thinck tha yu peepal nede too lern too bea moor flexabel inn juging peeple's spellling. Sinse yu now wat theey ar saying any waay, it dosent madder if som thing iss spellled rong.

o_rival13
04-25-2005, 09:20 PM
Having a Det open the pipe could provide a cool effect but I think that is all it will be, just a fireworks show. It would be pointless to waste a player to gaurd that tunnel. However, if you are refering to the area outside under the bridge and not actually within the base then it could be worth doing becuase when I play badlands on a public server half the defense is usually outside and covering that area anyways.

o_valk
04-26-2005, 01:25 AM
add it

o_broodingdude
04-26-2005, 01:49 AM
I think it should be re-close-able and re-open-able... endlessly. IMO

o_sobe green
04-26-2005, 03:56 AM
The problem with closing it is that you end up in a battle with who can keep the thing open or closed and eventually one person gets tired of it. I don't know anyone who would rather open/close a hole the entire game than to kill or cap.

I guess it doesn't matter either way.

o_osiris
04-26-2005, 05:23 PM
I completed the basic brushwork (VISblockers) for the entire exterior of the map. When it comes to the actual base, I have completely finished the bottom level/exterior with only texturing to finish up.

Im hoping to have a compile finished by tonight as im within 30 minutes of finishing the main spawn/flag-capture room completely. Progress should go fast after school today! :D