PDA

View Full Version : Concussion Grenade Jumping

DrFire
09-16-2007, 04:49 PM
What is the best way to jump using concussion nades? I've seen my friends fly really far, but all I can get is a small boost. Can someone show me what is the best technique to do this?

Da Spadger
09-16-2007, 04:58 PM
Be on the outer edge of the conc blast. It'll give you the most push.

halo
09-16-2007, 05:04 PM
It's best to learn hand-held concs first I think. They're the most versatile and easy to use when you're being shot at. Hold the conc, using the visual timer at the bottom of your screen, until it's just about to explode, then jump. It takes practice to get the timing right consistantly but you can go quite a long way. And high too.

Low jumps are useful for areas with a cieling and you can use them to hit ramps. If you conced into a ramp then you'll slide up it and over the top. The most common use of that is the ramp leading to the Shutdown2 Flag Room.

Lost
09-16-2007, 05:17 PM
It's best to learn hand-held concs first I think. They're the most versatile and easy to use when you're being shot at. Hold the conc, using the visual timer at the bottom of your screen, until it's just about to explode, then jump. It takes practice to get the timing right consistantly but you can go quite a long way. And high too.

Low jumps are useful for areas with a cieling and you can use them to hit ramps. If you conced into a ramp then you'll slide up it and over the top. The most common use of that is the ramp leading to the Shutdown2 Flag Room.

While HH is the most useful, its not the easiest way to learn.

Really, probably the best way to get practice is to toss the conc on the ground, position yourself in front of it, and as it goes off, jump. Keep an eye on your timer and the sounds, jump just as it is about to activate and you'll be flung for a goodly distance.

BoltR
09-16-2007, 06:37 PM
Hmm, someone should write an 'advanced FF concing ' or 'trick jumping guide' which includes all the little tricks you can do for extra velocity and such. I'd do it, but I'm sure I would miss something.

THBRonx
09-16-2007, 09:55 PM
Hmm, someone should write an 'advanced FF concing ' or 'trick jumping guide' which includes all the little tricks you can do for extra velocity and such. I'd do it, but I'm sure I would miss something.
...and maybe examples@youtube =D

sycsummit
09-17-2007, 12:47 AM
it will probably be just a matter of time till the old concjump/rocketjump/etc maps are redone for ff... thats how I learned all that stuff...

Zatoichi
09-17-2007, 01:36 AM
i was going to horde this...but here. this script basically plays the conc sound from your computer not bouncing it off the server..therefore its mostly lagless, all you need to do is jump right at the very end of the final set of beeps(your timing may be a tad different then mine). also setting your grenades to double tap helps alot. this works well for me..my ping at night is usually over 300 with 30+ loss...but if my loss gets higher i still miss some concs.

alias kgren1_throw "+gren1;wait;spk default;alias kgren1 kgren1_drop"
alias kgren1_drop "throwgren;alias kgren1 kgren1_throw"
alias kgren2_throw "+gren2;wait;spk default;alias kgren2 kgren2_drop"
alias kgren2_drop "throwgren;alias kgren2 kgren2_throw"
alias kgren1 kgren1_throw
alias kgren2 kgren2_throw
bind f kgren1
bind g kgren2

IF YOU WANT A DIFFERENT TIMER JUST CHANGE DEFAULT TO WHATEVER TIMER YOU USE.

BoltR
09-17-2007, 02:46 AM
The thing is, in FF there is more to concing than just proper jump timing...

Zatoichi
09-17-2007, 02:59 AM
umm i was referring to drFires post.
"What is the best way to jump using concussion nades? I've seen my friends fly really far, but all I can get is a small boost. Can someone show me what is the best technique to do this?"
proper timing will certainly boost his concs....

and so far its not a whole lot different then tfc..a few aspects but once i got timing down..i was concing almost as good as tfc..i imagine after my new video card comes and im not getting 10-40fps and whole bunch of stuttering ill be able to conc a bit better.

DirkPitt
09-17-2007, 03:40 AM
One of the tricks that its hard to pick up is that if you strafe into the jump you can fly farther with a hh. Hold the nade and right before it goes off run perpendicular to the direction you want to go and then jump while holding the strafe button and moving your mouse in the direction you want to go.

This isn't written very well and its much easier to show someone it so if you want me to show you sometime just pm me, or find me on irc.

Mr. Happy
09-17-2007, 05:05 AM
Anyone else finding it alot easier to HH in FF than in TFC? I used to hit maybe 1 in 20 HH's meaning I had to resort to spinning around while jumping and throwing the conc behined me just before it went off, but now I usually hit 1 in 4 HH's.

As for learning it, I usually recommend people start out with pipe jumping since you can carefully place and then tell the pipe when to go off, and the move on to water conc's since you can easily place your body, rocket jumps to get a better feel for angles, then placed conc's on the ground, then the backwards spin and then hh's.

For real fun though learn to emp jump :D

Zatoichi
09-17-2007, 05:16 AM
yeah dirk they used to call that slingshotting in tfc(i think) but that was way back in teh day, it became a habit for me, i do it on every conc...worked well for straight line concing as well. strafe and sling the mouse to the opposite side of the strafe then towards it and jump all very quickly.
@mr.happy i was happy when i learned the engie could now HH nade jump without exploding..i cant do it in tfc.

raidyr
09-17-2007, 07:12 AM
Alright, I came from TFC so I know how to conc jump. However, which direction should I look in when about to jump with the hand-held one? I mostly use down, and it works about 50% of the time.

Rojola
09-17-2007, 08:40 AM
Look where you are going?

Circuitous
09-18-2007, 12:02 AM
HH'ing is easier in FF than in TFC because of how the conc pushes you and where it actually goes off in an HH. It drops slightly right before going off, if you HH it. Gives a better push.

Gunslinger
09-18-2007, 12:22 PM
Which direction you are looking in does not matter, it is which direction you are moving in (and how fast and at what angle) which makes the difference.

qbaler
09-18-2007, 03:40 PM
There are already some beta concmaps released and I recommend joining a server running a concmap to learn. Just go in to FF server list and typein "conc" for the mapname filter.

Skanky Butterpuss
09-18-2007, 10:11 PM
Which direction you are looking in does not matter, it is which direction you are moving in (and how fast and at what angle) which makes the difference.

unless you are banana concing and such :-P

using strafe in conjunction with mouse movements can get you a considerable amount of extra distance (thank you air acceleration)

Gunslinger
09-19-2007, 08:09 AM
Maybe, but it still doesn't give you any extra distance. You can conc as far going backwards (or sideways) as going forwards, in any situation. It's all how the movement is relative to each other; which direction your view is going matters not a jot.

TomTom316
09-20-2007, 07:13 AM
does crouching help?

i mean: either handheld or dropped conc, but right after you jumped hit the crouch key and hold it. i hit some good concs with that technic - or does it not help at all?

and for handheld jumping - in what direction you are looking with your mouse? does it matter at all?

BillyPilgrim
09-20-2007, 09:16 PM
does crouching help?

I personally don't think crouching helps you concer farther or higher. The only thing it seems to do is take away your air control, and air control is really key to becoming a good concer. For example, on well I quite commonly hand held out the sniper porch, but I don't aim straight for the water tunnel entrance in their yard. I take the turn quite wide in order to confuse any good snipers, then strafe hard to the left and land in the water right in front of the water entrance. Basically bypassing any and all NME offense that would shoot you, and any random yard D they could have.

and for handheld jumping - in what direction you are looking with your mouse? does it matter at all?

Some people believe different things and have their own superstitions. I haven't really noticed any superior difference between one way and another way.

-Billy

anubis0zero
09-21-2007, 04:24 AM
i loved those maps!

GeoKill----->
09-21-2007, 06:27 AM
Also if you double jump and then conc, you gain great distance and speed

hunterw
09-21-2007, 11:10 AM
heres my super secrat trick for conc jump

the conc makes 3 single beeps and then the beepbeepbeep. hold down ur nade key. let it do the the 3 single beeps and get the timing from them. the exact microsecond the beepbeepbeep starts is when you jump.

Adam-g1
09-21-2007, 06:53 PM
Decided to delete my post here and make a new thread with it. http://www.fortress-forever.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11606