PDA

View Full Version : FF not starting or listed on steam

finalgambit
09-14-2007, 03:18 AM
i installed, but when i click on the shortcut on my desktop it just opens up my computer...FF is not listed on my steam games list, and i can't locate the files on my computer.

when i re-click on the installer to try to install again, it skips over all the files because it thinks they are there...but i cant find them. help! ;o

Demasu
09-14-2007, 03:20 AM
Did you remember to exit steam and then run it again?

Dimashq
09-14-2007, 03:32 AM
Having this same problem

Demasu
09-14-2007, 03:33 AM
Having this same problem
Same question to you, just gotta make sure all the bases are covered.

Dimashq
09-14-2007, 03:34 AM
Same question to you, just gotta make sure all the bases are covered.

Yup, exited it and restarted it like 3 times... went to the FF folder and clicking the FF icon does nothing

Demasu
09-14-2007, 03:46 AM
Yup, exited it and restarted it like 3 times... went to the FF folder and clicking the FF icon does nothing
Well if you're seeing the same FF icon that I'm seeing, it's an ico file, and that won't run a game. I told steam to create a shortcut on the desktop for me, and the target was this: "E:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 215 -game "e:\program files\valve\steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\fortressfor ever" (EDIT: it's wanting to put a space when you copy this, so make sure the space doesn't get in it)

Now you're going to have to make sure the path is right(replace E: with whatever drive your steam folder is in), but that could work. So just make a new shortcut on the desktop, right click and go to properties, and under "Target" in the "Shortcut" tab, put in that path, quotes and all, just make sure it's fixed. See if that works for you.

Dimashq
09-14-2007, 03:52 AM
Target is fine... there isn't any .exe file in the Fortress Forever folder at all

Demasu
09-14-2007, 04:00 AM
Target is fine... there isn't any .exe file in the Fortress Forever folder at all
Yeah, I know. If you look at that path it starts steam.exe with a special line that tells it what program to open(-applaunch 215 -game (fortressforever path)), so just make sure that's right, and if it is and still doesn't work, try going to the folder with steam.exe and then creating a shortcut of it(right click > create shortcut). Then right click the shortcut, go find the target field, and put "-applaunch 215 -game "(path to the fortressforever folder(\steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\FortressForever )"" (without the very first and the very last quotes). I was able to run FF using this method, just make sure you have everything EXACTLY right.

blackguy32
09-14-2007, 05:07 AM
I had to delete my client registry.blob in my steam directory for the game to install properly. But before I did that, It was doing the same exact thing

Paft
09-14-2007, 12:39 PM
Probably don't even have half-life 2 or something silly like that. : ]

finalgambit
09-14-2007, 06:42 PM
I had to delete my client registry.blob in my steam directory for the game to install properly. But before I did that, It was doing the same exact thing

for those of you having the same problem, this was the solution that worked for me. thanks everyone