Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > Tips and Tutorials

Old 12-17-2007, 04:56 PM   #41
GhostBuster
SHUT UP AND SWALLOW

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
DO NOT go into a flaming spree like this

Last edited by 4est; 12-17-2007 at 05:47 PM.
GhostBuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2007, 04:59 PM   #42
Paft
Beta Tester

Class/Position: [O] Med
Gametype: CTF/Skills
Posts Rated Helpful 67 Times
Nah it wasn't a flame. Just can't keep my gob shut. I'll apologize for that...I apologize.
Paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2007, 05:14 PM   #43
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

But he's right. That would go into an ADVANCED Concing video.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:24 PM   #44
GhostBuster
SHUT UP AND SWALLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desyphur
But he's right. That would go into an ADVANCED Concing video.
oh so thats what he meant... and no, i dont think so, the noobs have to know how the physics of the conc are so they can undesrtand where to jump when they throw a conc in the floor, the obvius thing a noob would do after watching the video is throwing a conc in the ground due the HH its a little advanced, and they will go just as close to the conc they can thinking that way the impulse its going to be major, when its going to be a failure.. and ofc showing wich are the most common concs, so they start to practice em and knowing wich ones are effective, concing is not as fun if u get owned by concing in a bad spot.

and the actual flamethrower video is advanced at hell, the guy is bhoping backwards and teaching absolutely nothing userfull for pub/anykind of playing (i say this with all the respect, aaaawsome videos men im just saying this to proove my point).. but taking less damage at falls and going higher and further in jumps and stuff that`s userfull use of the flamwthrower.

And at the demoman, i think its the most important thing ever the "how to place a pipetrap", its not advanced at all.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:32 PM   #45
Paft
Beta Tester

Class/Position: [O] Med
Gametype: CTF/Skills
Posts Rated Helpful 67 Times
I meant quite the opposite actually. Meaning.. how can a person not notice/figure/understand that stuff within a couple of minuets. It isn't possible.

Well, if some actually learns common sense stuff that's all good.
Paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2007, 05:37 PM   #46
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paft
I meant quite the opposite actually. Meaning.. how can a person not notice/figure/understand that stuff within a couple of minuets. It isn't possible.

Well, if some actually learns common sense stuff that's all good.
Yeah but that's the point of a good tut is to over simplify everything to make so that even Paris Hilton after a night out could read it and go "wow it all makes since now!" Seriously better to overkill with simplified stuff then to leave the reader confused or lead them in the wrong direction.

You have to say "Think like this b/c that's how your supposed to think," or they will never get it.
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2007, 05:48 PM   #47
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
Exactly, the beauty of the vids is they are concise and can get a player into the action quickly.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:11 PM   #48
bokko
when ff will out?
D&A Member

Ghosthunter, I realise you are very passionate about the game and eager to show your worth(I'm guessing you are still in your lower teens) but you are coming off as a wanker trying to lecture the guy.

These are basic tutorials, there's no need for covering every single aspect of each technique as newbies would just be overwhelmed. Not saying there's no room for more advanced tutorials in due time and acid more than qualifies for the job.
bokko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2007, 07:52 PM   #49
GhostBuster
SHUT UP AND SWALLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokko
Ghosthunter, I realise you are very passionate about the game and eager to show your worth(I'm guessing you are still in your lower teens) but you are coming off as a wanker trying to lecture the guy.

These are basic tutorials, there's no need for covering every single aspect of each technique as newbies would just be overwhelmed. Not saying there's no room for more advanced tutorials in due time and acid more than qualifies for the job.
Hey men my reaction was just in case he flamed me cos i saw some insults but my compehension of the english language isnt good at all.

And please, read what i sugested, read my arguments, and then tell me "no, this is too advanced"... cos i think explaining the physic of the conc or how to make a pipetrap or how to take less damage using the flametrowher and all that stuff its necesary and easy explainable, wont take more than 20 seconds each.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:53 PM   #50
Arx
AcidReniX

The thing is, when making a tutorial you have to realise people aren't stupid. They can see or work out a lot of the small techniques that aren't mentioned. For example, spreading a pipe trap and using walls to position pipes. This doesn't need to be explained in a video, because they can see in the video that walls are being used to position pipes and the pipes are spread out.

These tutorials are exactly aimed at 100% beginners as those kind of people won't be playing this game. You don't buy this game in the shop so you will have played at least one other 3D game that is very similar to this one.

The demoman in particular is more to show how a demoman is used, rather than how to play a demoman.

The other videos are also to show the manouver, so people can see it, then a brief explanation as to how to accomplish it. You can cover things in as much detail as you want, but you would only be over complicating it. Practise is what makes a player learn how to do the move, not overwhelming with information.
Arx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2007, 07:55 PM   #51
GhostBuster
SHUT UP AND SWALLOW

Aight, u got the final desition, but taking 20 seconds to explain that if ur too close to the conc u wont fly as much as if ur in the edge of the blast isnt overwhelming to me.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:00 PM   #52
Arx
AcidReniX

No, your right on that one. I just don't write a script so everything I say is what I can think of on the spot. I'm too lazy to do extra takes as well incase I forget something. I was meant to include the shotgun in the demoman video, used as a weapon for finishing off a target or to get hits on an escaping flag carrier, but didn't think of it while commentating.

Takes ages to encode and upload the videos, so it's quite unlikely i'll redo them.

Try to remember everything in future videos though

Old 12-17-2007, 08:07 PM   #53
GhostBuster
SHUT UP AND SWALLOW

Hey no problem im just sugesting stuff i know the hard part is the making of the video, i wanted to do one but as i already said, i sound like borat when i speak english so i had to decist.

What im saying is that if this are going to be the 100% official videos, it would be cool that they embraced all the basic stuff, i dont know if with a script but maybe yes with certain ishues that must be spoken for the noob players to undesrtand what are they seeing.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:59 AM   #54
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostBuster
Hey no problem im just sugesting stuff i know the hard part is the making of the video, i wanted to do one but as i already said, i sound like borat when i speak english so i had to decist.

You really do XD. Not trying to insult, but you do sound like Borat when you're talking over the mic

Old 12-18-2007, 05:11 PM   #55
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Any more in the works?

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2007, 08:22 PM   #56
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Hey Acid, fi interested, check out this section about concing/advanced concing techniques that might give you a few ideas if you are making more conc videos:

http://fortress-forever.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=12267
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2007, 11:49 PM   #57
Foxtrick

I know it was mentioned about it somethings being obvious and not needing to be mentioned, but the Youtube videos atleast, are not clear(quality) - in terms of bouncing pipes of the wall for positioning. If it was a high definition video, than no explanation needed, or if it was of the FF home page etc. Otherwise, its something possibly missed 'in translation'.

Thats not meant as a complaint, I think everyone here feels really glad you've done, what is a fantastic job overall speaking. And I am part of that everyone!
Foxtrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2007, 04:56 AM   #58
Arx
AcidReniX

thats the main reason why i uploaded to stage6. I never wanted bad quality vids, but the stage6 ones take ages to buffer, so i thought its best to upload both.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:09 PM   #59
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
and show off, if you can, some of the cool graphics in the game. You know how graphic whores are.
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2007, 10:30 AM   #60
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Any updates on this?