Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > Fortress Media

Old 12-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #1
~kev~
pmagnvs

Class/Position: Engineer - D
Gametype: Free for all CTF - no stupid clan rules
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Openfire game play december 5th or 6th

This was filmed either the night of december 5th, or december 6th. The server was rocking that night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF7MNP4DPb4
~kev~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
RocKwell
Regular or Menthol?

Affiliations: :e0: .o`
I'm sorry, but how does this categorize into "Fortress Training"? This is just a few offensive runs as a soldier destorying the same sentry gun. No bunny hopping, and you don't use the jump pad at :25 that you walk over. Plus, I'm not sure if it's YouTube or not, but the quality makes the classes completely unrecognizable.

I don't mean to bash your video, and it's great that you're helping out with the community. I just don't see how this would assist a first time ff'er.

Fake edit: I just looked through a couple of your other videos, and I think what would really help would be some commentary throughout the clips. Perhaps explain the basics of each class or the map, etc. Talk about the differences between the maps now and in TFC...
RocKwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2008, 04:51 PM   #3
~kev~
pmagnvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocKwell
I'm sorry, but how does this categorize into "Fortress Training"? This is just a few offensive runs as a soldier destorying the same sentry gun. No bunny hopping, and you don't use the jump pad at :25 that you walk over. Plus, I'm not sure if it's YouTube or not, but the quality makes the classes completely unrecognizable.
I dont bunny hop - sorry to disappoint you on that topic.

A couple of strategy videos for TF2 have been released as well as some rocket jumping videos. I like making the TF2 strategy videos, mainly because their maps are so lop sided.

Lets say you walked into a store, any store and all they had was one or two products. The products just looked a little different, maybe a different wrapper, or packaging. Would you really like to shop there?

You then walk into another store and there are dozens, maybe hundreds of different products.

Which store will you spend the most time in? If your a guy, you may say "I dont care, I know what I want." But not "everyone" thinks that way.

The purpose of the videos of regular gameplay is to offer an assortment. That is the reason there is a Painkiller video, and a Quake 1 E1M1 video - assortment.

These different videos also grab more then just one range of keywords in youtube. If the video description has the same keywords over an over, you will only be reaching a narrow market.

The goal is to reach as wide of a market as possible, with a wide range of products and introduce them to Fortress Forever. Believe it or not, there are a lot of gamers that have never heard of FF. That is part of the market I am trying to tap into.

I want to grab that person looking for videos about game X, grab them, get them to the website and tell them all about FF. That can only happen if I produce a wide range of videos, not just Fortress skills videos.

The people that already play FF, those are not the people I want watching the videos. I want the guy / gal who has never seen or heard of FF. That is the person I want to watch the videos, and that is the person I want to click the link to go to either fortress-forever.com or fortresstraining.com

Last edited by ~kev~; 12-11-2008 at 04:56 PM.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:57 PM   #4
tim_
mimic- 3k. leisure^BtU

Class/Position: Fucker/On Your Mom
Gametype: ADL
Affiliations: #mimic #pick
I don't know what made me cry more the HORRIBLE quality on youtube, or that it is about 100 times to dark, the lack of any action for the majority of the video, or the fact that you suck at solly.

I totally agree with Rockwell, usually the people that are good train newbies, not the noob leading the noob.

As far as the quality of the video if you PM me I can help you get started making good quality videos Example (its just some shots i have saved set to music to show the quality)

Old 12-11-2008, 05:01 PM   #5
~kev~
pmagnvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_
As far as the quality of the video if you PM me I can help you get started making good quality videos Example
I do not want to see an example I have to download. How about a youtube link?

Whats your player name in game? I'll be looking out for you.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:06 PM   #6
tim_
mimic- 3k. leisure^BtU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kev~
I do not want to see an example I have to download. How about a youtube link?
Well im lazy and don't want to make a youtublow account, also the video was not rendered for youtube shitty resolution

Old 12-11-2008, 05:13 PM   #7
RocKwell
Regular or Menthol?

Affiliations: :e0: .o`
Quote:

A couple of strategy videos for TF2 have been released as well as some rocket jumping videos. I like making the TF2 strategy videos, mainly because their maps are so lop sided.

Lets say you walked into a store, any store and all they had was one or two products. The products just looked a little different, maybe a different wrapper, or packaging. Would you really like to shop there?

You then walk into another store and there are dozens, maybe hundreds of different products.

Which store will you spend the most time in? If your a guy, you may say "I dont care, I know what I want." But not "everyone" thinks that way.

The purpose of the videos of regular gameplay is to offer an assortment. That is the reason there is a Painkiller video, and a Quake 1 E1M1 video - assortment.

These different videos also grab more then just one range of keywords in youtube. If the video description has the same keywords over an over, you will only be reaching a narrow market.

The goal is to reach as wide of a market as possible, with a wide range of products and introduce them to Fortress Forever. Believe it or not, there are a lot of gamers that have never heard of FF. That is part of the market I am trying to tap into.

I want to grab that person looking for videos about game X, grab them, get them to the website and tell them all about FF. That can only happen if I produce a wide range of videos, not just Fortress skills videos.

The people that already play FF, those are not the people I want watching the videos. I want the guy / gal who has never seen or heard of FF. That is the person I want to watch the videos, and that is the person I want to click the link to go to either fortress-forever.com or fortresstraining.com
I understand where you are coming from, exposing this mod with media to those who have never heard of this game is a great idea. However, the video itself is nearly impossible to follow if you have never played a fortress game to begin with, let alone Fortress Forever. That's why I suggested commentary; it provides clear explanations of what the narrator is doing in-game, and most importantly, why. I don't speak for everyone, obviously, but even I was a bit lost watching it, and I've been playing since launch day.
RocKwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2008, 05:25 PM   #8
~kev~
pmagnvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocKwell
I understand where you are coming from, exposing this mod with media to those who have never heard of this game is a great idea. However, the video itself is nearly impossible to follow if you have never played a fortress game to begin with, let alone Fortress Forever. That's why I suggested commentary; it provides clear explanations of what the narrator is doing in-game, and most importantly, why. I don't speak for everyone, obviously, but even I was a bit lost watching it, and I've been playing since launch day.
Understood.

And, take into consideration you are only seeing a small part of a much bigger picture.

http://www.fortresstraining.com/openfire/

http://www.fortresstraining.com/shutdown-2/

These generic videos can be placed into several articles, where videos trying to cover a "certain" topic can not.

I have done some videos with commentary,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GW0UeprvyY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpyXmzjWjbY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAq-jCC_AmQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjuxlV8n6JY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSxUtOs6qAA

Last edited by ~kev~; 12-11-2008 at 05:35 PM.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:39 PM   #9
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Quote:
Well im lazy and don't want to make a youtublow account, also the video was not rendered for youtube shitty resolution
Youtube's got HD quality now, 720p res. So you can throw that idea right out the window. Plus, how many people are gonna download your video outside of the FF community? If you post it on youtube, it just might get some new people interested in FF. Youtube has millions of subscribers. IMO, I'd like to see some of them DL and play this mod.

Anywho, about the quality of video, it's a good effort, but even if you do get some TF2 players or players from other games to watch some of your FF videos, I'm concerned with the first impression you are giving to people with the lack of action and regular movement abilities you are showing in your videos. I know most of the videos are an explanation of some of the features and maps in ff, but I would leave it to others to 'WOW' people into playing this mod. I don't mean any disrespect, but if a game doesn't look good by watching a few videos about it, I'm not going to play it, simple as that.

There are already quite a few FF videos on youtube, we need more, but we need better ones. With new players becoming interested in making FF videos, that opens an opportunity to show people outside this community that FF can shine.

Videos need to POP to get people to become interested. Instead of taking your demos straight to youtube, edit them, have some cool visual effects, throw in some different music. I've seen 3 videos of yours with the same techno tracks. I like techno, and you talk about variety, but when I watch your videos, I hear and see the same thing over and over. Like I've said before, if you need help in making videos or recording some good demos, there are a slew of people who could help you, including myself.

Quality over quantity. I know you have the ability kev to make some good videos, but I'd rather see a few good videos than a ton of low quality half-ass attempts.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2008, 05:48 PM   #10
~kev~
pmagnvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg
Quality over quantity. I know you have the ability kev to make some good videos, but I'd rather see a few good videos than a ton of low quality half-ass attempts.
Thank you.

The techno is royalty free, as are a couple of other tunes in videos. If anyone knows where I can get more royalty free music send me a link. But I am not adding copyrighted music to my videos only to have them removed in a few months and risk getting my account deleted. The audio swap on youtube could be used, but I do not want someones banner on my videos.

Ok, I will be working on making my next video a lot better and with more action.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:53 PM   #11
tim_
mimic- 3k. leisure^BtU

Quote:
?!? If you are trying to get people to play FF from TF2, show some of the MAJOR difference would be nice, because like we all know TF2 has no movement what so ever, bhoping is a MAJOR part of FF and you just skip over it cause you don't know how...

Old 12-11-2008, 05:58 PM   #12
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

You could use FF music

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 12-11-2008, 06:04 PM   #13
~kev~
pmagnvs

Quote:
?!? If you are trying to get people to play FF from TF2, show some of the MAJOR difference would be nice,........................
I am not listening to you any more, ~kev~ sticks fingers in ears, la la la la la,,, I can not hear youuuuuu.

Quote:
You could use FF music
????? Huh??

Some of the royalty free music I have looked at starts around $25 a song. The music I use in the videos was free and royalty free. As long as I give credit to that guy Rick van Man, nobody can file a copyright claim.

The lack of quality music is a big hold back on my videos. I have looked all over the place for music. One site had maybe a hundred songs, but they were "bland".

What I need is "music" - I can get the videos, that is not a real problem and I need time to put the video together.

Maybe I should resort to classical???? Everyone loves Bach, Mozart and Beethoven.

Last edited by ~kev~; 12-11-2008 at 06:11 PM.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:14 PM   #14
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

How many years before music becomes public domain? 100? 50?

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 12-11-2008, 06:22 PM   #15
~kev~
pmagnvs

Quote:
How many years before music becomes public domain? 100? 50?

The last time I looked the copyright laws up, anything (books or music) made before 1923 is in the public domain. Or, its something like 100 years after the death of the creator. Disney got a law passed a few years ago that extended the time frame from 75 to 100 - or somewhere around there. It seems that the copyright on mickey mouse was about to expire, so they got the mickey mouse act passed.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:12 PM   #16
exosexattack
your mother and sisters

Class/Position: Soldier / D
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: GoodFellas
Send a message via AIM to exosexattack
why would anyone wanna see something that they could go in any server and do themselves
exosexattack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2008, 08:24 PM   #17
tml
make it rain

what a waste of bandwidth
tml is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2008, 08:48 PM   #18
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by exosexattack
why would anyone wanna see something that they could go in any server and do themselves
Are you retarded?

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 12-11-2008, 08:52 PM   #19
~kev~
pmagnvs

And we really have to wonder why the FF community is not growing?

A member of this community (myself) posted a video on youtube of something he enjoys doing, and nobody has had a single good thing to say about it. Why would anyone want to be part of a community that is filled with insults and negativity?

All of you are right, I will not make any more videos. I will not be wasting anyone elses time or bandwidth with these "stupid" videos.

When Korey comes back to my house, I will help him make some game play videos of his conc jumping and bunny hopping. Considering that is all anyone wants to see.

As for myself, I'am done.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:22 PM   #20
tim_
mimic- 3k. leisure^BtU

Quote:
And we really have to wonder why the FF community is not growing?

A member of this community (myself) posted a video on youtube of something he enjoys doing, and nobody has had a single good thing to say about it. Why would anyone want to be part of a community that is filled with insults and negativity?

All of you are right, I will not make any more videos. I will not be wasting anyone elses time or bandwidth with these "stupid" videos.

When Korey comes back to my house, I will help him make some game play videos of his conc jumping and bunny hopping. Considering that is all anyone wants to see.

As for myself, I'am done.
Its your 5th or 6th video of the same thing, with no music, no explantion of what you are doing, horrible quality which would make any FF or non FF player close it before it got 5 secs in, saying your trying to make FF grow, but people go and down load the mod cause it looks fun what you were doing didn't look fun at all, they could go play TF2 and have way better graphics and step by step instructions in game, so just because you post a video doesn't mean people have to post rave reviews about it. Most of what people said was not off base and they were trying to help you by explaining what THEY think people are looking for (exclude TML and exo). Videos that make people want to play the game have a WOW factor that excites people into playing, i used to watch bad ass TFC videos and i would want to play after watching it. In conclustion if you can't come down from your ivory PUB tower and except that there are 2 sides to this game clan and pub, and one is just as important as the other than you can just piss off.

Last edited by tim_; 12-11-2008 at 09:31 PM.
tim_ is offline   Reply With Quote