Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 10-24-2007, 07:52 PM   #121
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
But the problem, Udge, is that I can go to that factory if I chose to and meet the person that made it. If I chose to, I could see the materials used. If it fails I can sue them and get compensation.

I can't go see the materials that made god. I can't walk onto a god factory and inspect the god desiner's methods. I can't, in turn, sue the maker of god if he doens't grant my preyers. I can't complain or get compensation.

This isn't ment to disprove god, but more so the way that you approached it. The point of god isn't that it makes sence, or is possible, or logicle. The point of god is to believe freely, and openly. If you can't do that, then you shouldn't believe in god. If you can't say to yourself "There really is no reason for me to believe in God, but it just feels right. It feels like there's God and that is enough." Then you have some serious questions to ask yourself un-related to this forum...or me for that matter. I'm just an asshat killing time while he's at work because there are no customer and it's boring and slow

But back on topic. Believing in God, and having that faith has very little to do with interpritation of the bible. Lets say God wrote the bible, and God is infalible. The bible as it was written no longer exists. It's been translated, and re-written time after time. It's been re-interpriated and so on that in it's current stage it's not that unlike the product of generations upon generations of inbreading. Too many cooks ruins the stew, if you will.

The only point I'm making on the issue, in reguards to the reaction to homosexuality, is that your faith should not sway your interpriation of what the bible is. Do you really think that God wants you to go around condemning homosexuals? I mean, really honestly, truely, purely beleive that if you don't call every homosexual a "fag" and harass him and his family and keep him/her away from your children that you and your family will be burned in Hell for eternity? That's the important question. Because if you do, then I ask you this: Do you feel equally as strong about stoning your children when they don't listen to you? If your answer was yes to the first question, because of your faith in god, then it damn well better be yes to my second. Because the bible puts equal emphasis on both requirements.
BinaryLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2007, 08:12 PM   #122
Spiderm4N
Banned

harry potter sux
Spiderm4N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2007, 08:17 PM   #123
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzy
Faith, as I am referring to it, is more than the definition you provided,
ARE YOU FUCKING STUPID?

I fucking STOLE that definition from the dictionary. As in, THAT IS THE FUCKING DEFINITION (ALL 3 OF THEM) OF THE WORD FAITH. Go read up on Websters sometime.

Holy shit. Try re-reading what I said. You'll notice I'm talking about how all blind faith, regardless of which definition it follows, is stupid. Of course if your head wasn't stuck up your ass you'd realize this. However, you've got to try to make your point no matter how stupid it makes you look.

P.S. I asked a rhetorical question.

P.P.S. Lol@yourreadingcomprehension.
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2007, 08:24 PM   #124
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Credge, I think what he means to say is that he is referring to it as a philosophy, not as its defination. Examples of this would be:

Faith is a way of life
Faith is a reason for being
Faith is a powerful force that can change lives
etc

In its noun form it can mean more to a person that its definition. This can be aplied to any word, not just faith.

Also, I think you over reacted just a tad.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:20 PM   #125
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryLife
Credge, I think what he means to say is that he is referring to it as a philosophy, not as its defination.
Yes, lets throw out the English language when we are talking in the language. Let me have a go at it.

You're just as stupid as your mother looks.

But really what I'm saying is that using the word faith in a different context than the definition states isn't using the word faith but, instead, using a different meaning for a word that does not have that meaning.

The thing is, this has nothing to do with blind faith. People on this forum can't seem to keep things in context. I think this has to do with how stupid your mother looks compared to how stupid you are.

Here is a graph for those with terrible reading comprehension.

Clearly, your mother looks pretty stupid.

P.S.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:53 PM   #126
SizeableSSonic
Joystick Junkie
D&A Member

Class/Position: Engineer or Sniper
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to SizeableSSonic Send a message via MSN to SizeableSSonic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suite307

Best Photoshop ever. Period.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:28 PM   #127
bokko
when ff will out?
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innoc
You say that because it is the only way you can keep your straw man standing. Is it so hard to accept that there continues to be something you're not grasping?
I think that it is arrogant of mankind to think itself capable of grasping the workings of an universe infinitely bigger than itself.

I accept that there is no man who can be sure wether God is or not.
Those who live by faith see no alternative, and this is essentially why it is blind.
bokko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2007, 10:29 PM   #128
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokko
Those who live by faith see no alternative, and this is essentially why it is blind.
This man has a firm grasp of the English language.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:37 PM   #129
Suite307

This whole debate is kind of stupid.
Lock this shit up.

Even stupid claims that have something to do with Harry Potter are causing this stupid crap in the Off-Topic Forum.
Suite307 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2007, 12:54 AM   #130
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokko
I think that it is arrogant of mankind to think itself capable of grasping the workings of an universe infinitely bigger than itself.

I accept that there is no man who can be sure wether God is or not.
No, my point being that you narrow minded people who keep hammering at this want to use a single, all-encompassing, label to describe all people of faith so as to support your narrow view. Crying and soaking piles of kleenex while holding up a dictionary that you've turned to the page that has it's definition of "faith" clearly displayed does not bridge the gap of understanding that you're missing.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2007, 02:39 AM   #131
Stankyfingers
Kalikop

Send a message via Yahoo to Stankyfingers
Its official...you people will argue over ANYTHING!! 7 pages of this stuff!
I have never read a Harry Potter book but my kids love that stuff.I skiped over about 4 pages of this stuff but I just want to say as a parent I hope I dont have to explain this homosexual situation to my 8 yr old! I thought these books/movies were for kids? Makes me not want to let her watch the next few movies just to avoid that till she is older.
Stankyfingers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2007, 03:07 AM   #132
Backstaber
Custom User Title
D&A Member

Class/Position: Scout Offence
Gametype: Capture The Flag
Affiliations: None
Stankyfingers, it's what we do Best.
Backstaber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2007, 05:02 AM   #133
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Credge we've let ourselves get completely lost. More importantly, you've lost your standing on this point. Either you're ignoring the point, or just not seeing it. It's not a big deal, this is just the solution to boredom for me, and I can't imagine it being much more to you (or anyone for that matter). But still, it's time to retire. There's no point in waisted energy.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:23 AM   #134
Zydell
Ex-king
D&A Member

Affiliations: Knights of the Round
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via MSN to Zydell Send a message via Skype™ to Zydell
Quote:
No, my point being that you narrow minded people who keep hammering at this want to use a single, all-encompassing, label to describe all people of faith so as to support your narrow view. Crying and soaking piles of kleenex while holding up a dictionary that you've turned to the page that has it's definition of "faith" clearly displayed does not bridge the gap of understanding that you're missing.
Arrogance++++++

If there's a group of narrow minded people that I know, then it's sure as hell not the people who admit that they can't possibly know and are open to more than what mummy and daddy tried to indoctrinate them with. Try comparing that with people who's back-up argument always has been, and always will be ‘it's in the book’.

If there's one thing shared by people with 'faith' that I've seen in many so far then it's their (most of them) arrogant view that (they only) hold 'the truth'. (for example we miss understanding because we don't believe; really the only reason we don't have faith is because we lack something right? we lack something; we lack understanding; we do not understand something that you do. It's not even a possibility that I for example understand more then you ever will and therefor chose not to believe. That is impossible right?

The reason why you get attacked is not because we're crying christian-bashing people (as much as you might want us to be) I let everyone be and respect what they chose to believe in, I have enough christian friends for example. It is just that you cannot possibly tolerate that some people have a different opinion on matters that seem so important to you.

Last edited by Zydell; 10-25-2007 at 06:38 AM.
Zydell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2007, 01:07 PM   #135
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zydell
The reason why you get attacked is not because we're crying christian-bashing people (as much as you might want us to be) I let everyone be and respect what they chose to believe in, I have enough christian friends for example. It is just that you cannot possibly tolerate that some people have a different opinion on matters that seem so important to you.
Actually, the narrow minded ones are you guys. You simply cannot let people be free to believe what they choose...as much as you claim you do the opposite. It's pretty clear hypocracy. This thread has been rife with it. Look, even you couldn't resist jumping in on the exact same issue.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:18 PM   #136
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zydell
Arrogance++++++

If there's a group of narrow minded people that I know, then it's sure as hell not the people who admit that they can't possibly know and are open to more than what mummy and daddy tried to indoctrinate them with. Try comparing that with people who's back-up argument always has been, and always will be ‘it's in the book’.

If there's one thing shared by people with 'faith' that I've seen in many so far then it's their (most of them) arrogant view that (they only) hold 'the truth'. (for example we miss understanding because we don't believe; really the only reason we don't have faith is because we lack something right? we lack something; we lack understanding; we do not understand something that you do. It's not even a possibility that I for example understand more then you ever will and therefor chose not to believe. That is impossible right?

I apologize to you for them if they happened to be self-proclaimed christians who said that you miss the understanding because you don't believe.

Christians who think that other people lack understanding because they don't _believe_ have clearly never read the whole bible. The emphasis is primarily on knowing first. While i think it's justified to say that someone doesn't understand if that someone has never read the whole bible, even as a book of literature or history, it's certainly incorrect to say that the "lack of belief" is the cause of not understanding.

According to the theology that a christian believes in, faith can be a matter of self-will or something that is given by God. Calvinists believe that faith is given by God alone and therefore cannot be taken away no matter what. Armenians believe that faith relies on the self-will and therefore, can be lost depending on the person's maintenance of it. Baptists believe that while faith is given by God, and therefore cannot be lost, it is the duty of the Christian to maintain it, and cannot help maintaining it, if infact, the faith is genuinely given by God and not a self-delusion.

As much as it pains me to say this, Christians today are not a very good sourced to find out what the christian faith is about. There's a group of christian surveyers under George Barna. In one of their surveys it turned out less than 40% of professing Christians have read the whole bible. So, in laymens term's those 60%+ christians are talking out of their ass when they're talking about their faith or the bible.

Even that "God hates fags" cult family probably has never read the whole bible. The old and new testament both condemn homosexuality, but if anything, the context of the whole bible is to condemn only the sin, not the person, to hate sin, but love the sinner. The phelps are not doing anything remotely close to what their so-called christian faith is requiring them to do.

And to put this in further perspective, instead of condemning america, they should be pro-active in doing good works, like feeding the poor and homeless in america, or teaching the illegal immigrants the american constitution through summer programs or after-school activities, because in the bible, book of Jeremiah chapter 29, "And seek the peace of the city whither I have caused you to be carried away captives, and pray unto the LORD for it: for in the peace thereof shall ye have peace." Picketting funerals doesn't seem like seeking peace =\.
Dr.Uudge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2007, 02:59 PM   #137
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Dr.Uudge,

It's more than simply reading the entire Bible. It's not just the words that are written there. There is an understanding that happens at the hearts level. It's not something that someone outside of it can understand. It is that missing piece to which I have referred ITT. Fact of the matter the only people being attacked ITT are, as per usual, Christians. Why, mostly because we have a number of people that go out of their way to do so. This is the inevitable toilet that such threads are dragged into.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:23 PM   #138
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

Quote:
Dr.Uudge,

It's more than simply reading the entire Bible. It's not just the words that are written there. There is an understanding that happens at the hearts level. It's not something that someone outside of it can understand. It is that missing piece to which I have referred ITT. Fact of the matter the only people being attacked ITT are, as per usual, Christians. Why, mostly because we have a number of people that go out of their way to do so. This is the inevitable toilet that such threads are dragged into.
Yes, i agree. There is certainly a deeper level of understanding. I'm just not quite sure if its faith that's accountable for it, or if its has more to do with wisdom of understanding, though i tend to think its the latter. It's actually something i've been doing some research on to find out some sort of a basic answer. I've been combing through spurgeon's sermons on the online archive to see what he thinks, in addition to reading through matthew henry's commentaries.

But i do find it sad that often times, christians have not read the bible =\

Old 10-25-2007, 03:32 PM   #139
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Uudge
Yes, i agree. There is certainly a deeper level of understanding. I'm just not quite sure if its faith that's accountable for it, or if its has more to do with wisdom of understanding, though i tend to think its the latter. It's actually something i've been doing some research on to find out some sort of a basic answer. I've been combing through spurgeon's sermons on the online archive to see what he thinks, in addition to reading through matthew henry's commentaries.

But i do find it sad that often times, christians have not read the bible =\
I actually had occasion to read the entire Bible during my days as an arrogant Atheist in College. This was a 5 credit (the average class was 3 credits) class titled "Bible as Literature". Quite interesting actually...except for Deutoronomy and Numbers...If I live to be 200 I hope I never endeavor to read those in their entirety again. Anyway, the class and the subject matter were very compelling. At the end of it my certainty of where I stood philosophically was gone and I was left with far more unanswered questions.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:49 PM   #140
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

Quote:
I actually had occasion to read the entire Bible during my days as an arrogant Atheist in College. This was a 5 credit (the average class was 3 credits) class titled "Bible as Literature". Quite interesting actually...except for Deutoronomy and Numbers...If I live to be 200 I hope I never endeavor to read those in their entirety again. Anyway, the class and the subject matter were very compelling. At the end of it my certainty of where I stood philosophically was gone and I was left with far more unanswered questions.
How did you do with 1 chronicles? LOL that book alone took me several months to get through. I had to draw out this geneology tree to figure out who was born from who and had to go back to the previous samuel/kings books to match what seemed like slight differences, but turned out that they weren't. And even then i was kind of confused.