Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 06-22-2007, 02:38 PM   #1
stino

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
looping pointfile?

wtf, i've loaded my pointfile to see what is wrong and it loops around my map, and ends where it started :s
stino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2007, 03:46 PM   #2
own3r
Custom mapper

I am not sure if its related but if it goes out into the void at any point put a brush there I had a strange issue of phantom entities causing leaks but where nowhere near the point. Might have something to do with the origin of an entity being in the void?

If you still have trouble you could try drawing blocks over the map and compiling only bsp (not vis or rad) and record at what point the leak stops and investigate it. Compiling bsp only takes me only about 5 seconds so its quite quick.
own3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2007, 03:51 PM   #3
Beetle
Beta than eva'

Quote:
Originally Posted by own3r

If you still have trouble you could try drawing blocks over the map and compiling only bsp (not vis or rad) and record at what point the leak stops and investigate it. Compiling bsp only takes me only about 5 seconds so its quite quick.
I hated doing that in tfc mapping. I couldn't get my pointfile to work then, so it was ALWAYS blocking out bits of the map till i found the leak.
Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2007, 04:08 PM   #4
stino

the weird thing about it is that there isn't any leak and the pointfile runs around my entire map in an 8 shape red base to the blue base trough the basements, and then to the yellow base, above ground, and then again to red base trough the basements and halfway the map it comes up trough the elevator shaft and goes to the red base where it started. and it hits a lot of entity origins while doing that so i don't even know wich one is creating the problem
stino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2007, 07:43 PM   #5
own3r
Custom mapper

I guess one alternative which im not sure will help but might *shrug* would be to disable entity visibility in the "visgroup" then add a single entity in the center of the map and see if that gives a clear pointfile when you compile the map with BSP only?

Old 06-22-2007, 09:41 PM   #6
shadow
Retired FF Staff

i had an issue similar to this which had me stuck for a month or so. it turns out several brush entities had spontaneously moved their origins out into the void and were causing general chaos. i was searching for a leak in the map geometry when in reality the leak was the geometry. of course, i'm not suggesting this is your problem, (although it is a possibility) the lesson simply is... when the pointfile makes no sense, check everything.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2007, 09:56 PM   #7
own3r
Custom mapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow
i had an issue similar to this which had me stuck for a month or so. it turns out several brush entities had spontaneously moved their origins out into the void and were causing general chaos. i was searching for a leak in the map geometry when in reality the leak was the geometry. of course, i'm not suggesting this is your problem, (although it is a possibility) the lesson simply is... when the pointfile makes no sense, check everything.
Starting with visgroups sounds like a good plan, disable point entities compile it, disable brush based entites compile it and so on.