Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 05-16-2005, 02:42 PM   #21
schtoofa
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
We're not keeping things from you, derno

Here's the scoop, plain and simple. Our coders have picked up the pace. We love doing media releases. Seeing people interested in FF makes us giggle like schoolgirls and drives us to work faster and make more time. With the summer season approaching you can expect some killer progress. However!

Many things are being worked on in parallel. Sometimes people hit a snag when working on something and when they get half done, they move onto another. It helps spark creativity and reduces monotony.

Think of it like this: we'd much rather show 3 things that look 95-100% done, as opposed to 15 things that look 55-65% done. The reasons for doing things this way are pretty clear from the previous posts. All that said, you can expect an update RSN (real soon now).

Old 05-16-2005, 08:34 PM   #22
o_derno

i know, but i mean, since people are sooo impatient about updates, when you update with like 8 things, why not update once with 4 and then a week later again, just dont tell anyone lol
o_derno is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2005, 11:02 PM   #23
o_deadeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by derno
i know, but i mean, since people are sooo impatient about updates, when you update with like 8 things, why not update once with 4 and then a week later again, just dont tell anyone lol
I'd rather have the 8

Anyways, just to point out .. WP defrag (on finishing exams and the rest of team) im sure alot of people are looking forward to the update and dont mind waiting too much Keep up the (what sounds like excellent) work.. 7 models!! think someone needs to give rebo a pat on the back

o_deadeh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2005, 11:17 PM   #24
o_broodingdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeh
Quote:
Originally Posted by derno
I'd rather have the 8

Anyways, just to point out .. WP defrag (on finishing exams and the rest of team) im sure alot of people are looking forward to the update and dont mind waiting too much Keep up the (what sounds like excellent) work.. 7 models!! think someone needs to give rebo a pat on the back

Hear hear!
o_broodingdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2005, 02:57 AM   #25
o_duodecimal

Well, I think that there is a distinct difference between showing us, the hardcore forum goer fans of FF, a couple screen shots of half completed works and doing a full blown 90% complete media release on the main site. The main site media release is designed to attract new people to the mod and generate excitement about a project that looks awesome. The odd screenshot that we'd like to see isn't about showing us a completed model, or a fully textured map. What we want is exactly the opposite(Or at least, what I want. I don't really know how many people I'm speaking for, maybe none. ^_^) I want to see the unfinished maps and the unskinned models, I want to see the progess step by step and get a feel for how you guys are progressing, even if it is just one screenshot a week or something stupid.
Sure, I stop by this forum for the discussions, and because I whole heartedly beleive that I'm going to be playing FF with you guys in the(near?) future. It'd definatly be nice to know the people who'll be stabbing me in the back as a spy, or blowing my brains out the back of my skull as a sniper. But, I also come here for updates and news on what's being worked on and what ideas are stewing about in your brain meats. I don't mean to be pushy, and I certainly appriciate the fact that you may not want to release one screen shot at a time. I'm just asking that you do, because I have every right to ask, just the same as you having every right to refuse. Don't tell me to be patient or to get off the team's collective backs, because I feel like we are being patient and for the most part we aren't on their backs about it. We're just making ourselves heard, which in the end is the most important thing about a community, any commuinity.

Ok, I'm done. ^_^
o_duodecimal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2005, 04:03 AM   #26
PHISH
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Have you guys ever done a senior design project and had to do weekly progress reports and tons of intermediate presentations and papers? Its such a hassle and actually interferes with the real work being accomplished. I think the dev journals are enough to let everyone know progress is being made, in fact I like them more for not spoiling anything

Characterizing the site as tumbleweeds and such when there have been very regular dev journals is a misnomer.
PHISH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2005, 04:36 AM   #27
o_thegoatmaster

sigh... *raises hand and suggests a new team member gets recruited and assigned specifically to maintain the website and post updates, media etc.*
o_thegoatmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2005, 06:04 AM   #28
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

.... FB already does that, but it's not like he can touch up or pose a model, fix some lighting on a map and compile it or anything like that. That's down to everyone else to do and pass the screenshots on to him so he can post them.

Again, this is the first time we've had a 'media drought' so to speak, and it's mainly just down to circumstances such as sev & decs being busy with RL, and the coders making the biggest strides as opposed to the arty people. An update will be posted inside a day or two tops.

Old 05-17-2005, 08:05 AM   #29
o_d3pth charge

Defrag, no offense but you are completely wrong about news sites being picky with what they post. If anything, they are the OPPOSITE and everyone knows it. Halflife2.net and Planethalflife have been posting utter shit for the last 3 months... one time hl2.net posted a picture of a frikken wooden fence....

phl posted 1 concept shot of a shittily drawn daemon the other day... if they will post that they will post anything. If you aren't releasing stuff cuz you are worried about the news sites not posting it, dont worry. first of all, everyone in the hl2 community loves ff, i havent heard one troller talk smack about it... and one screenshot of the quality you guys produce will be fine.

I hope there is an update tomorow....
o_d3pth charge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2005, 08:06 AM   #30
o_sp0rk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defrag
A media update will be out jolly soon (as in next day or so afaik).
Never _ever_ give any sort of date for something to be released!!!

By the way, anyone annoyed by the underlines being used for emphasis hasn't been on the internet for very long...or maybe too long, depending on how you look at it.
o_sp0rk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2005, 08:26 AM   #31
o_thedarkone

Re: *Tumbleweed Rolls By; Harmonica Plays*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap
It's a shame I personally won't be here to see it when you _do_ release an update. As of the day after tomorrow, I'm shipping off to bootcamp, and AIT training after that, effectively putting me out for the entire summer.

To be optimistic about it, I'll be so busy that Fortress Forever will come out a lot faster for me than for the rest of you poor blokes! (Or so I tell myself, as part of the multi-prong campaign to pysche myself up.)

So, even though I won't be here to benefit from it personally, this post is a selfless request to stimulate the rest of the guys here, who, like me, have went over with a fine-toothed comb every single word and pixel on this site.
I dunno, it comes off as a shameless guilt trip to me.
o_thedarkone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2005, 10:57 AM   #32
o_ekim

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
By the way, anyone annoyed by the underlines being used for emphasis hasn't been on the internet for very long...or maybe too long, depending on how you look at it.
I've been on the internet a long time and been a part of a lot of communities and forums and this is the first place I've seen underscores used for emphasis.

The forum code has bold and italic tags for a reason :P
o_ekim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2005, 02:46 PM   #33
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Defrag, no offense but you are completely wrong about news sites being picky with what they post. If anything, they are the OPPOSITE and everyone knows it. Halflife2.net and Planethalflife have been posting utter shit for the last 3 months... one time hl2.net posted a picture of a frikken wooden fence....
Ok, fair point, but those two sites aren't necessarily representative of all news sites, and it's pretty lame to release an update of ... lame.. stuff

Old 05-17-2005, 02:50 PM   #34
schtoofa
Retired FF Staff

Back in BBS days, the underscores were _fairly_ common :P

But back on track... we like to put some thought into the releases. It's nice if we can have media correspond (for example, weapons with their sound, models with their concepts, etc.). Waiting for people to finish their respective parts takes time

The next release will have several parts to it.

Old 05-18-2005, 02:12 AM   #35
o_spud

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I maj just ejeculate. Hurry I can't hold it much longer.
o_spud is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2005, 10:30 PM   #36
o_mikequist

Note to team: This is not humane. LOL. I understand not giving us media, but saying you will and then not! BAH on you and your silly mind games! I'm going to go play console games!

pfft. lol. As if anything can qualify as a console anyways..
o_mikequist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2005, 01:23 AM   #37
o_bokko

If you _fail_ to see how _retarded_ typing like _this_ makes you look, then perhaps you've been spending too much time on messageboards over the years and developed some kind of nostalgic value to underscores.
o_bokko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2005, 01:41 AM   #38
o_broodingdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokko
If you _fail_ to see how _retarded_ typing like _this_ makes you look, then perhaps you've been spending too much time on messageboards over the years and developed some kind of nostalgic value to underscores.
Now really, nitpicking about another person's typing habit is the same as an American nitpicking about accents when it's an individual's second language. Maturity, anyone? I have it in a jar.
o_broodingdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2005, 03:17 AM   #39
o_thedarkone

To me, deliberately using underscores when bolding and italicizing are available is like setting your computer to 8-bit colour when both your graphics card and monitor are capable of running at 24-bit.
o_thedarkone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2005, 05:46 AM   #40
o_sp0rk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkOne
To me, deliberately using underscores when bolding and italicizing are available is like setting your computer to 8-bit colour when both your graphics card and monitor are capable of running at 24-bit.
TFC is six years old. I don't care if you still like it, quit playing it.
o_sp0rk is offline   Reply With Quote