Old 09-21-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
~kev~
pmagnvs

Class/Position: Engineer - D
Gametype: Free for all CTF - no stupid clan rules
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
After a week of playing, impressions from an old guy

This is more for the developers....

FF has been out for a week and a day, so I just wanted to post what I thought so far.

Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Kevin and and I am 39 years old. My computer gaming started with Doom back in 1996. After that I moved to quake, quakeworld DM, QWCTF and QWTF. From there I moved to Quake 2, LMCTF, TFC, CS:S and now to FF. There were dozens of games left out of that list to simplify things.

After I left quakeworld DM, and went to QWTF & TFC I usually played engineer, HW or Soldier.

Let me just say:

The sounds are freakin awesome. Not since Doom have I heard sounds like this. To be playing D, and hear the rockets in the yard - that is an experience in itself.

The graphics are wonderful.
Not since the first time that I played half-life 1 with a TNT2 - 32 meg video card have I been "wow"ed like that. Or to watch the clouds in quake 1 go floating by, not since those days have I seen a realistic looking graphics as these.

As compared to tf2 - tf2 is not a real tf game, its a laughing joke at what Team-Fortress stands for.

Level design
- is just as good as half-life 1 & 2 first person maps. The FF level design is far better then Quake 4 or Doom 3. These maps are in a league of their own. The detail makes me just say "wow."

Sentry gun - seems just right.

HW guy - The chain gun overheating was a bad idea.

Spy - Seems a little too hard to kill & over powered. Usually its engineer VS spy, and the spy seems a little over powered - maybe too much armor? After all, a suit and tie offers little defense.

Soldiers - Are much improved in FF. The rate of fire and the faster rockets were much needed.

Pryo - where did this guy come from? Its about time he was beefed up!!!

Medic - I have not played.

Sniper - only played once so far.

Demo - I have not played much of.

Scout - I have not played yet.

The overall look, feel and sounds of FF are freaking AWESOME!!!

FF is everything that I had expected, and more. Thank you to all the developers for your long hours of work.
This is an outstanding mod, maybe one of the best I have ever played.

Thank you.
~kev~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2007, 02:57 PM   #2
rebo

Its great you like it kev, and the best thing about FF is that it will constantly improve and get better.
rebo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2007, 03:06 PM   #3
Mr.FuckaCop

same for me as an ol skool player of UnF, q3f, TFC and ETF i really love this mod , thanx dev team (L)
Mr.FuckaCop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2007, 04:29 PM   #4
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kev~
The sounds are freakin awesome. Not since Doom have I heard sounds like this. To be playing D, and hear the rockets in the yard - that is an experience in itself.
<3

i cant take credit for a lot of that work, because Britishtang did a lot of the groundwork. however, i did make a lot of improvements, though mainly technical.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:24 PM   #5
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
I agree with the sounds, It's difficult to explain how they "feel" to me, but they don't seem as intrusive when listening to them as they did in TFC. It's like the general tone of them was brought down, but given more character (if that makes any sense).

Cheers,
Hammock
Hammock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2007, 06:46 PM   #6
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
source engine does wonders for that. check out "distance variant" type sounds in the source engine. its not as good as a true DSP solution, but it basically lets me mix in on the fly a "distant" sound.

a true DSP solution would use SRI values in the VMT files, and from that you could do material based occlusions/reflections etc.. that would rule so much! its years off something like that though

Old 09-21-2007, 10:23 PM   #7
NoPriz

ehh dont agree with the TF2 is a joke, ive played it more than FF so far heh.

But FF is a great mod i must say,cant wait till a good player base gets settled in and league matches get started

maps seem very well done and its going to be cool to see what players come up with for customizations for FF and new map ideas
NoPriz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2007, 10:33 PM   #8
Zencheetah

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPriz
ehh dont agree with the TF2 is a joke, ive played it more than FF so far heh.
He said TF2 is a joke as far as the team fortress games are concerned. Not a joke as a game. I'm sure it's fine, if you don't call it Team Fortress.
Zencheetah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2007, 11:27 PM   #9
BobTheChainsaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zencheetah
He said TF2 is a joke as far as the team fortress games are concerned. Not a joke as a game. I'm sure it's fine, if you don't call it Team Fortress.

Pssh, shut up. It IS a Team fortress game. Get over it.
BobTheChainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2007, 11:31 PM   #10
Zencheetah

Great job.
Zencheetah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2007, 11:38 PM   #11
gizmofo
The Bestest

Send a message via AIM to gizmofo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kev~
This is more for the developers....

FF has been out for a week and a day, so I just wanted to post what I thought so far.

Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Kevin and and I am 39 years old. My computer gaming started with Doom back in 1996. After that I moved to quake, quakeworld DM, QWCTF and QWTF. From there I moved to Quake 2, LMCTF, TFC, CS:S and now to FF. There were dozens of games left out of that list to simplify things.

After I left quakeworld DM, and went to QWTF & TFC I usually played engineer, HW or Soldier.

Let me just say:

The graphics are wonderful.
Not since the first time that I played half-life 1 with a TNT2 - 32 meg video card have I been "wow"ed like that. Or to watch the clouds in quake 1 go floating by, not since those days have I seen a realistic looking graphics as these.

As compared to tf2 - tf2 is not a real tf game, its a laughing joke at what Team-Fortress stands for.

Level design
- is just as good as half-life 1 & 2 first person maps. The FF level design is far better then Quake 4 or Doom 3. These maps are in a league of their own. The detail makes me just say "wow."

Sentry gun - seems just right.

HW guy - The chain gun overheating was a bad idea.

Spy - Seems a little too hard to kill & over powered. Usually its engineer VS spy, and the spy seems a little over powered - maybe too much armor? After all, a suit and tie offers little defense.

Soldiers - Are much improved in FF. The rate of fire and the faster rockets were much needed.

Pryo - where did this guy come from? Its about time he was beefed up!!!

Medic - I have not played.

Sniper - only played once so far.

Demo - I have not played much of.

Scout - I have not played yet.

The overall look, feel and sounds of FF are freaking AWESOME!!!

FF is everything that I had expected, and more. Thank you to all the developers for your long hours of work.
This is an outstanding mod, maybe one of the best I have ever played.

Thank you.
I agree with you on most things besides the spy and HW..
The spy should be able to slaughter an engi- he already has his gun, so theoretically, he gets stronger with time.
gizmofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2007, 11:39 PM   #12
Camphlobactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock
I agree with the sounds, It's difficult to explain how they "feel" to me, but they don't seem as intrusive when listening to them as they did in TFC. It's like the general tone of them was brought down, but given more character (if that makes any sense).

Cheers,
Hammock
You really nailed it. l found it hard to express the quality of the sounds but that's pretty much the best of it.
Camphlobactor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2007, 12:30 AM   #13
OG BongShark

I couldn't agree more. TF was the single game that hooked me. Quake TF back in 97-99 was gold. Mplayer, gamespy (when it wasn't corp'd), border1, the original hunted, techwars. This mod is the only thing that has come close to rekindling the TF fire. THANK YOU!
OG BongShark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2007, 01:13 AM   #14
NewKleer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camphlobactor
You really nailed it. l found it hard to express the quality of the sounds but that's pretty much the best of it.
the only one i have problems with is demoman pipe detonation...it almost breaks my headphones/speakers even though sound is set to a "normal" level.
NewKleer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2007, 01:17 AM   #15
SME
Damn lazy bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheChainsaw
Pssh, shut up. It IS a Team fortress game. Get over it.
Actually it's not but since you think it's ok to tell others to shut up, I'll shut you up with my ignore.

stop the name calling - 4est

Last edited by 4est; 09-22-2007 at 04:20 PM.
SME is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2007, 02:24 AM   #16
SOUNDMAN

I've tried to play TF2 and it just locks up when I try to get to a server. I've been playing FF for the week, and am having great fun getting back into the rhythm of playing. Well done, and I'm surprised more people aren't playing this game.
SOUNDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2007, 02:28 AM   #17
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Psssst Kev, now that you've come out of hiding: http://fortress-forever.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=11323

Old 09-23-2007, 07:00 PM   #18
~kev~
pmagnvs

Class/Position: Engineer - D
Gametype: Free for all CTF - no stupid clan rules
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchToast
Psssst Kev, now that you've come out of hiding: http://fortress-forever.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=11323
I posted a response to your thread...

~kev~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2007, 06:32 AM   #19
V.Boss
Valhalla

Send a message via MSN to V.Boss
Quote:
I haven't played TF2 and I wont buy it either. But still I trust you are right.
V.Boss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2007, 07:50 AM   #20
mixer
Interzone technican

i played ff first time today ...
my initial impression: YES! the long waiting comes to an end
my memories from playing qwtf, q3f & etf are faded already, but i felt the spy is a bit too strong, and im missing opportunities to build sentrys in unusual places, it seems to restricted to me. Beeing unable to 'throw' grens when beeing in water is something i need to get used to ...
Anyway: thanks for everyone involved for this mod!

edit: something that hit me: im playing in 1920x1200, but despite that resolution i have to scroll in the scores-tab

Last edited by mixer; 09-24-2007 at 10:29 AM.
mixer is offline   Reply With Quote