Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Help & Technical > FF Technical Support

Old 10-12-2008, 03:10 PM   #1
Orangelink

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Computer slows down after playing FF

Whenever I play fortress forever after I exit it my computer slows down considerably. I've looked in the task manager, but none of its tasks were still running. Even if I start up Fortress Forever again, it's lagged. It's only cured by turning my computer off and then on. I've tried compressing the fortress forever gcfs, but that didn't work. Also, even though I have a great internet, it takes forever to "send client info" and "receive server info". My specifications are as followed:
Windows XP professional service pack 3
AMD Athlon 64 processor 3500+
2.20 GHz, 1.00 GB of ram
I have the latest Directx and omega drivers
ATI Radeon X550/X600 series
Orangelink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2008, 03:51 PM   #2
CaLeB-
Whitest Kid You Know
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Just speculating, but I think you need more RAM.
CaLeB- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
Orangelink

Could very well be it, considering that I have less than the recommended ram, but it's doubtful as I have twice as much as the minimum ram.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:25 PM   #4
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

Could have something to do with SP3... but yeah, that's a weird problem.

When you look in the task manager when your comp is slowed down, do you see 99% idle?
Sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2008, 07:41 PM   #5
Orangelink

Just checked, and yes. It's 99% idle.
EDIT: Also, another odd thing is that if I click restart, the slowdown stays there. If I shutdown and turn it back on again, though, it's gone.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:05 PM   #6
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

Do you mean that if you click restart, your computer reboots and is still slowed down when rebooted?

Old 10-12-2008, 10:34 PM   #7
Orangelink

Yes. However, if I shut down the computer and turn it on normally, I have no problems.
EDIT: Also, the slowdown only happens after actually going for some netplay, not if I simply enter the game menu and exit. My internet is great, so I'm not sure what could be causing it... All other internet related things don't do anything like fortress forever does to my computer.
EDIT2: A possible cause may also be my AVG antivirus 8.0, but I've never heard of problems stemming from 8.0 and I always disable it before I do anything, as it takes up quite a bit of my computer's resources.

Last edited by Orangelink; 10-13-2008 at 01:09 AM.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:26 PM   #8
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

Ohhh AVG 8.0

Remove AVG from your computer completely and try again, I'm like 99% sure it's AVG.

I've seen AVG 8.0 cause major slowdowns on other computers before, version 7 was alright, but they did something wrong with 8.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:01 PM   #9
CaLeB-
Whitest Kid You Know
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
For the hell of it, make sure you're not running crap that doesn't need to be ran. Go to Run and load up "Msconfig" and go to the startup tab. Uncheck any exes you recognize that don't need to be loaded on startup. Running programs can be negatively effective sometimes when you only have 1GB of RAM.

We can start shooting blanks, really. Defragment your drives, dust out your computer, wipe your video drives so no old drivers are interfering with your newest one, Ccleaner, scan for viruses. Who knows what'll happen if you do all this? At least your computer will run faster.
CaLeB- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2008, 08:21 PM   #10
SGM Division ******
Wiki Team

Class/Position: Defensive
Gametype: Capture The Flag
Affiliations: [SG-X] Clan - http://www.sg-x.info
Send a message via ICQ to 417
It sounds like you are having memory related issues for sure. I have seen the same issue before (older ram tends to have major issues if it ever overheats) RAM is pretty cheap and I would suggest that upgrade to 2 gig when you can scrap up the funds to do it.

It might also be Spyware/Adware on your system as well. In addition to C Cleaner [http://www.ccleaner.com] I suggest that you install/run SpyBot S&D [http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html] and remove everything it finds.

To troubleshoot your ram and have it setup to automatically free up tied up resources you might want to track it's usage with a Memory Manger program [In Example: http://finitysoft-memory-manger.software.informer.com/]

Another thing I have seen similar to this is a bad network interface card.

When they go bad with them they don't process packets correctly and they get bounced around causing major issue for the system. If the problem persists after upgrading your RAM then this would be the next thing to look into.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:42 PM   #11
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
I've had this same problem and I still do. I've had it with SP2 and 1 gig of RAM as well as with SP3 and 2 gigs of RAM. Maximizing/minimizing windows does this bitchin' afterimage thing.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote