Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > Tips and Tutorials

Old 03-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #1
Rck

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Scores and captures

After now 2 months of playing, although only for a few hours at weekends, I am starting to understand the game and really enjoy the pickups

I have been watching the excellent streams and casts BT Neo and friends and noticed a few things which I would like to get an opinion on

Generally I play soldier on defence and tend to get 30-40 kills per map. Looking at the parsed logs in mIRC after the game, my percentage is usually 50% shotgun, 30% rocket and 20% grenade. There are some people which is the opposite with more grenade kills, and noticed from casts that people kill themselves or go back to respawn to heal and get more grenades

Obviously grenades are powerful so the more the better, but by doing that you are missing on a few people getting in with no incoming to your teammates. So my question is which do people think is better/prefer... A weaker teammate on low health which gives an incoming, or no incomings but possibility of fewer later on as they have grenades and full health?

Also what I think would be useful is a table or some idea of average captures per map, just so you can get a feel of if the team are doing well or not, if you need to change strategy etc
Rck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
Elmo
Gets tickled by FF
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med Solly HW
Gametype: Any/CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 41 Times
Some really good questions that someone like me playing the game since release and TFC for a good number of years before would also love to know...

There seems to be expectations from other players that you don't leave your position - you'd get shouted at for doing it and yet many others do and seem to get away with it and more-so they make it work in their favour.

Grenades are just a matter of timing and throwing accurately. I tend to waste many many grenades, my timing and accuracy lacks. Personally I think timers for all grenades are too long considering the pace of this game but that's another topic.
Done: ff_warpath
Forever Doing: ff_medieval (beta#99999999)

Last edited by Elmo; 03-12-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
WubbaDucky

Class/Position: Going for pr0 Engi
Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Good question

Personally: I kill myself because i was a dumbfuck that primed a grenade too late, or my keyboard doesn't cooperate.
I get Tked alot in certain maps because 99% i run into pipes when blocking medics or trying to scoop bags for upgrading SG.

In my opinion, incomings are alot more useful from certain positions where the second line doesnt have any clue or can see the O.

But stats can vary alot depending on the whole team. The best player can be the best if the other teammates can play like a well oiled machine.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
NeonLight
NeoNL
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier, Medic
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: +M|M+ -RS
Posts Rated Helpful 170 Times
Weapon kills really depend on the person. Some people are better with the SSG opposed to the RPG and the nades are just all round.

Now the big thing is the position convo. When low health players kill them selve so they are back to 100/200 (even demo if the time permits). The reasoning is if offense come your way and say you're 30/65 you're going to die almost instantly anyways. You will get the comms but your camera will be out of position unable to call the incomings since you'd be respawning. If you read the offense, when they die and the travel time form base to base you can kill yourself and get yourself atleast half way to your position while still being able to call out incomings.

It's very situational but as long as you can get incomings off the secondary defense can set up and be ready for it.
NeonLight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #5
Rck

Good to see its sparked some discussion!

I agree with Elmo that there is a duty or pressure to stay in your position, which is why I am asking the question as I don't kill myself or go to respawn

But Neo makes a good point, on maps like destroy for example where bottom respawn is only a rocket jump away from switch and top respawn means you can go via FR and "mop up" the incomings on your way back to position. So I guess it does really depend on position and timing

Old 03-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
eomoyaff
The Crowbar Commander
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Anything.
Gametype: CTF/CP (AvD needs fixing)
Posts Rated Helpful 28 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rck View Post
Good to see its sparked some discussion!

I agree with Elmo that there is a duty or pressure to stay in your position, which is why I am asking the question as I don't kill myself or go to respawn

But Neo makes a good point, on maps like destroy for example where bottom respawn is only a rocket jump away from switch and top respawn means you can go via FR and "mop up" the incomings on your way back to position. So I guess it does really depend on position and timing
By example, on Destroy -- Playing the button as soldier is a very important task. There are several situations that can occur depending on the choice of the soldier when dying (not dead.)

When LOW HP
- Informs FR of HP ("I'm gunna die"); Either

A) *Kills self*
B) *Falls Back further into doorway to FR to choke and Suicide while doing damage to enemy

These options both are fine as long as the call of death is relevant in the situation; so that the engi may be prepared, and the demo may blue or mirv/nade the choke point.

-On Spawn; Either

A) Soldier RJ's to Button, grabs bag while negating all attackers, before returning to zero position.

B) Soldier plays front door momentarily before resuming to option A.

Both in A and B can comms be called by the soldier until stated back in position. While A is the usual route that most soldiers take, Players who choose B are normally really good soldiers (Homie, Vinny, Matt, FDA ,Blade) -- The risk of this is that if they remain too long, players can easily get by, going top, and comms can be missed. Though attackers who are damaged early before they get into the flagroom are less likely to do much when they reach it. So the situation is rather conventional as it is unconventional.

Pressure on a Soldier depends on the player. I know if and when a soldier is performing which option when I play Engi or demo because a lot of that pressure is removed from the Soldier due to his position, and of course a flood of medics rape me from button side of FR. 3 medics button = I get out there early and help the soldier or I'm going to get destroyed.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by eomoyaff; 03-18-2013 at 01:31 PM.
eomoyaff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
Rck

Thanks for reply, some interesting points. I think it depends on situation and timing of the offence to make your decision.... and also my lack of any accuracy when aiming rockets or shotgun means its probably better I do die and get the grenades!