Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 09-26-2007, 08:38 PM   #61
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Show me where I once said that review was right and you were wrong? Reread my first three posts in this topic. Then you can easily understand and hopefully comprehend the fact that I'm not agreeing with the review at all merely accepting that it did bring up one fine point which I have been trying to debate on for the past day yet you two are trying to say that I'm agreeing with the review 100%. Can you see the error in your ways now? Good I hope so. Aside from you two everybody pretty much agreed that it was true. I hope that when you two graduate middle school you get a little smarter.

Last but not least I'm not attacking TFC. I played it all the way out until servers were full of bots. TFC was and is ugly. TFC was never pretty. Look at the default models (not the new ones). Try and tell me that looks good. You are trying so hard to argue on the internet. I don't know if its your lack of friends or if maybe your pissed that mommy didn't get your milk and cookies but damn kid get your head straight before just trying to look cool.

Last edited by SoBe Green; 09-26-2007 at 08:46 PM.
SoBe Green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 08:59 PM   #62
SomeOldGuy
older than dirt

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
All of you (and you know who you are), cease and desist on the childish name-calling which is escalating in this thread.

You can "defend" your opinions without resorting to "neener neener" flaming.

So stop it already.
SomeOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 09:12 PM   #63
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Quote:
Sadly a lot of this review is true.
That's agreeing with the review. Also, SOME people on the thread agreed with the review, not "pretty much everyone."

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe Green
I don't know if its your lack of friends or if maybe your pissed that mommy didn't get your milk and cookies but damn kid get your head straight before just trying to look cool.
And get the HELL off the pedestal Mr. High and mighty, what gives you the right to talk down to us because we don't agree with you? You should take your own damn advise.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:46 PM   #64
~kev~
pmagnvs

Class/Position: Engineer - D
Gametype: Free for all CTF - no stupid clan rules
IBTL!!!!!
~kev~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 09:48 PM   #65
Foxtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe Green
Not only do I think that, it is true. Over the years CS was not only something new in terms of multiplayer fps it looked new too. Yes TFC had a larger player base than CS did in the early CS days. But compared to CS TFC is/was very ugly and that can not be contested. Over the years the Half-Life engine received updates and CS was updated to take advantage of these updates. Anyone who remembers when de_piranesi was released will remember how awesome it was to see a realistic tree on the HL engine. TFC was never given any opportunities or visual upgrades except for the newer player models which most hardcore TF players will swear were the worst thing to ever happen to the game. Its that kind of thinking that can hurt FF. Who here hasn't honestly saw a new guy play TFC and say "This game is ugly as hell." I see it now in CS 1.6. Yes people still play both games and visualizations aren't everything but they damn sure do hook people from the start and a game like this thats based on an idea so old needs that more than anything.
I'm sure you're a gamer like most people on here, or atleast was one. You know, as I do, the general trick in modern games, is just like other industries. All the original and great games(also films) have been done. Now its just making twists and turns on some original concepts and evolving technologies to make things seem new. That isn't a bad thing. In all, I don't think in that case, the FF team played it even 'safe' and stuck closely to TFC - They have gone wayward with some changes, some things people did or didn't like have argued about them.. new players was a real concern for the developers. Look at how easy it is to maintain abit of speed after any kind of powered jump(explosion based/conc etc), a simple jump will suffice.
Okay, to any new player it may not be obvious.. and takes you up the blind hill towards bunnyhopping but there has to be a element of developed gameplay or even advanced, that someone who regularly plays will have to learn for themselves. But CS has exactly those things aswell. Running with a knife at spawn? Scripted buy scripts? CS is just as guilty as TFC for being 'elitest' at times.

On a side note, I don't actually remember a single player complaining about new player models(ofcourse people had a initial opinion) TFC was given, I was amonst the 'hardcore', and it was a nice change but if you knew.. No player was forced to use them - you could switch it on or off..
Foxtrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 11:14 PM   #66
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

I'll agree to disagree with you guys.

Fact
FF isn't very newbie friendly but a lot more so than TFC was. This will hopefully be improved in the future through the training system and hopefully added signs and arrows on official maps will help the new players out when trying a new game. The hints are really great for showing players what they can do now if they just learn where to go. I'd really like to see some round based play or maps like rock2 that gave more benefit to the player or team capping. TF2 has taken the idea of round based play and overall improved teamwork to the point that you feel good when your team wins on 2fort. I can't wait to see what FF becomes in the future and can only hope some of you carry better attitudes in game than you do here.

Foxtrick you are right CS is just as elitist as any other game that old I just always felt the objective was much more clear and rewarding in CS. Capping the flag and everyone respawning further down or ahead on the map or the map filling with gas gives players a reason to push ahead. Messages letting the other team know their flag was capped doesn't hurt much on the morale in a pub game and most players don't care the flag was capped when they can just keep fighting in the "yard". Look at flagrun. It was great everyone was defending or trying to get those flags for the blackout. I remember how awesome it was to be the guy that would scream "LIGHTS OUT" when the last flag was capped. I also remember how much it pissed me off when I was on the other team. That next round you'd have some people switch classes to hopefully keep their team from losing. You don't get that on standard CTF.

Last edited by SoBe Green; 09-26-2007 at 11:21 PM.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:47 AM   #67
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Quote:
I'll agree to disagree with you guys.
Fine. But why do you continue your post with more talking about the argument? >.<

Old 09-27-2007, 12:53 AM   #68
summit

Because you weren't the sole people he was talking to. He was merely inciting discussion.
summit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2007, 02:02 AM   #69
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

I never said he was.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:54 AM   #70
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
sigh, another topic derailed. well, i lked the hlworld (the gamespy one) better, not because it suger-codes it, because it seeems more professionally done, without the sexual jokes and whatnot. actually, i would say TF2 is the bastard child of TFC/TF becuase its so different.
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2007, 03:29 AM   #71
summit

Desyphur I never said you did, I merely provided reasoning why he's continuing with a thread he started

I think the "bastard-child" comment shouldn't be taken offensively - it was just a poor way of commenting on where the character inspiration was derived. No one can really dispute that it's extremely influenced by TFC.
summit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2007, 03:31 AM   #72
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

To me TF2 couldn't really be the "child" of TF or TFC. Its a sequel and not a remake. The only part that really makes it hard to accept is that there is rarely ever a sequel to multiplayer FPS games. You have TF and then TFC added to TF then quite a few other games remade their version of TF on other engines. TF2 isn't a "remake" but a take on a different angle of TF which means it is totally different. You can't compare Half-Life and HL2. The idea of a TF2 has never been accepted. Even the early idea of TF2 was horrible to most. I'll admit I'm one of those people but I gave the game a chance and I do enjoy it. I went into playing FF knowing I was going to love it. I went into TF2 expecting to join in on everyone else making fun of it while playing, instead I had a medic following me around while I lit people on fire and telling me when we had a guy on our ass. There is no bastard child of TF/C. FF is just what people have been doing for years now, trying to reproduce and fix the things Valve never helped do. The difference here is its in TFC's home town and success is an easier achievement.

Think of TF2 and FF as football and soccer. We are the Americans and Euros and there isn't a single way to establish which game is really called what.