Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 08-10-2006, 09:08 PM   #21
o_dancingfool

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I'm computer literate and I buy Dell. It's just that I have two qualities. I like quality, and laziness.
o_dancingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2006, 09:26 PM   #22
o_ghost

Hence why I didn't say every single person who buys a dell is not computer literate.

My point was that there are a lot more people out there who are not gamers that just use their computers to surf the net and word processing. Many probably couldn't tell you what RAM actually is much less know what kind to get or know where it is in a computer.
o_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2006, 09:34 PM   #23
o_dancingfool

Every single person who uses a Dell is computer illiterate. Now I said it. I win. Wait....dammit.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:35 PM   #24
o_frenchtoast

Compaq ftw.
o_frenchtoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2006, 09:40 PM   #25
o_yomamashouse

MAC ftw lol
o_yomamashouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2006, 10:29 PM   #26
o_mooga

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhOsT
The majority of PC buyers are still people that aren't all that computer literate and either get a PC from Dell or go to Best Buy.
This bigger problem is that Best Buy sells Computers. I hate best buy...
o_mooga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2006, 10:31 PM   #27
o_voipme

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhOsT
Hence why I didn't say every single person who buys a dell is not computer literate.

My point was that there are a lot more people out there who are not gamers that just use their computers to surf the net and word processing. Many probably couldn't tell you what RAM actually is much less know what kind to get or know where it is in a computer.
Dell also makes some beefy servers too. Now that they've been around for a while and they've established themselves as a reliable company, why wouldn't you want to buy a Dell? The only reason I build my own personal computers is because I can get the parts for cheap. But if I needed a system to be up, stable, and running in a short matter of time, then I'd get a Dell. Not to mention the tech support if anything goes wrong. Just less hassle for me, heh.
o_voipme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2006, 10:46 PM   #28
o_frenchtoast

I wouldn't buy a dell 'cause they seem to spontaniously combust. And their tech support blows.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:08 PM   #29
o_dancingfool

I'm getting a Dell I can rely on. Plus I'm not getting a laptop, and if I was I wouldn't be stupid enough to block all the vents.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:31 PM   #30
o_jinx

I think you guys all missed this article:

Microsoft Releases Vista Beta to Security Experts and Hackers
After suffering embarrassing security exploits over the past several years, Microsoft Corp. is trying a new tactic: inviting some of the world's best-known computer experts to try to poke holes in Vista, the next generation of its Windows operating system.

Microsoft made a test version of Vista available to about 3,000 security professionals Thursday as it detailed the steps it has taken to fortify the product against attacks that can compromise bank account numbers and other sensitive information.
So, this isn't exactly unexpected.
o_jinx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2006, 05:08 AM   #31
o_etzell

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchToast
Compaq ftw.
The only brand that I'd tell someone to buy a Dell instead of.
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2006, 03:49 PM   #32
o_frenchtoast

Pour Quoi? Mine is kicking hard ass.

Old 08-11-2006, 04:32 PM   #33
o_yomamashouse

Some moron from WC3 Battle Net--> "My computer is a dell not a PC"
o_yomamashouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2006, 04:40 PM   #34
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMamasHouse
Some moron from WC3 Battle Net--> "My computer is a dell not a PC"
Wonder if it has a 52X cupholder and a foot pedal too?
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2006, 04:41 PM   #35
o_zaskar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingFool
Every single person who uses a Dell is computer illiterate. Now I said it. I win. Wait....dammit.
LoL i actually own a Dell now (along with their sexerific 20 inch wide screen flat panel)
Their prices (espically when they run a sale, mine was a monitor upgrade discount) make building yourown a ritch mans hobby now.

it use to be if you build yourown using pricepoint, tiger direct, etc for all parts you could make a smokin box for the price of some stock crap from HP/Compaq/Dell, etc. but now the tables are a bit turned. Companies like Dell and HP, etc buy parts in such high volume they get HUGE discounts. Its to the point where building your own with comparible parts will cost you upwards of $300 more.

Mix that with their 1 fucking whole year worth of financing (you have good credit right? ;P) and i just couldnt justify building another machine again when my last one shitted out on me.

Dual Core Processor+mobo+2gig memmory+decent PCI-E nvidia card+SATA Hard Drive+case/power supply+CD RW+DVD rom+Monitor=quite a bit more then $1,200 let alone a flat panel 20 inch wide screen that has almost no ghosting.
And 1 year financing where i diddnt need to have all that money right now.. (i diddnt know my comp was gonna just die, though i should ive done repairs too often :/ but anyways i diddnt have the money saved)

Dont get me wrong, if i had cash in hand and enough to just burn it in excess, id no doubt go and build my own from parts again, Exactly to my brand and spec on every part. But, I dont :/ the other option was just too financially good to pass up.
o_zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2006, 06:26 PM   #36
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Every time I've built a machine I've found the prices to be lower than Dell, Compaq, etc. Of course I'm reusing parts a bit. Plus, you get to choose what goes into it, which is a big advantage.

After admining labs full of Dells and owning a Dell laptop, I will most likely never buy another Dell (at least not a Dell computer). At the comp lab I used to work at, we were having major problems with our Dells network booting - they would fail ~30% of the time and instead try to boot from the hard drive. Turns out there was a compatibility problem between the network card and the motherboard Dell used. Way to test that one, Dell.

Also, our lab would work on computers - of couse the most common computers were Dells. People would come in because their Dells would suddenly not work online any more, or wouldn't even display anything. Turns out Dell's wonderful "screwless" clamps had let the video or network cards slip out of their slots.

Also, after about a year and a half, my Dell laptop's hard drive started running very slowly. It would also sometimes make strange clicking noises. I contacted Dell about it, and they had me run their "special" diagnostic. The tool found nothing, so they would not admit there was any problem at all. It wasn't until ~6 months (of utterly terrible performance) later that the drive totally died, and Dell replaced it (just inside its extended warranty) .

Don't think I'm just picking on Dell, though. Really, most major computer sellers aren't any different.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2006, 06:35 PM   #37
o_zaskar

I hear ya, but i couldnt reuse any parts.

Hard drive was dying, case and power supply formats changed, memmory speed is different, new styles of processor and mobo, vid card format changed. CD RW was also old and going.

I could of used my DvD rom.

Old 08-12-2006, 05:20 AM   #38
o_jinx

and good luck to you re-using any of the proprietary Dell parts in your next pc
o_jinx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2006, 01:28 PM   #39
o_zaskar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx
and good luck to you re-using any of the proprietary Dell parts in your next pc
Dude stop acting like im just some idoit who bought a dell cause they diddnt know about anything.

I prob wont reuse any, but if i wanted to, my CDRW and DVD rom, Vid card, creative sound card, memmory, processor and HD are all non proprietary. (but half those parts would be the reason for updating anyways so....?)

Infact the only onboard parts are the network card, and onboard sound, which i dont use, hey wait a min, that would mean that thats exactly the same as any other Asus or whatever board nowadays.

Oh i guess i cant reuse the case and power suppl;y either.... who the fuck reusses their old case or power supply though?

Reusing parts is the stupidest thing ever, it has been half the reason "new" PC's most people build get some probs after a while, the fuckin reused old shit is acting up.

I specced this so that if i wanted, i could get a asus/abit or whatever mobo, new case... and everything else would transfer over.... if i wanted, but ehh.