Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2010, 06:01 PM   #41
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Seeing how fast quake is that is the last game in the world I would want to try to play on a console
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2010, 02:11 AM   #42
Peon
Altitude Junkie
D&A Member

Class/Position: Agressive Medic or Pyro...as long as I can fly baby!
Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
Seeing how fast quake is that is the last game in the world I would want to try to play on a console
Aww come on Fred.....give it a try.....you'll be pleasantly surprised.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”"
- George Carlin
Peon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2010, 05:21 AM   #43
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
I'm still kind of amazed so many people enjoy playing FPS's with a game controller. To me it's only slightly better than keyboard aiming, and I remember how bad that was.
chilledsanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2010, 05:39 AM   #44
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

Yeah, but if you dont know what you're missing and the game assists you, its not a HUGE deal. Movement on the other hand. The art of good movement is completely lost on ~serious~ console gamers.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:25 PM   #45
Peon
Altitude Junkie
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilledsanity View Post
I'm still kind of amazed so many people enjoy playing FPS's with a game controller. To me it's only slightly better than keyboard aiming, and I remember how bad that was.
Using an X360 or PS1/2/3 controller I 100% agree.....the Wii setup though =
Quote:
Yeah, but if you dont know what you're missing and the game assists you, its not a HUGE deal. Movement on the other hand. The art of good movement is completely lost on ~serious~ console gamers.
Well you don't really have to use the lock-on feature if you don't want to.....I barely did at all. In fact, it felt much better without it.......you know, like you really did something.

As far as movement goes, I really don't know what could beat an analog stick other than a 4-way hat pad. I personally use a Nostromo N52 speed pad for PC games, but the thumb pad certainly doesn't feel as precise as any analog stick I've used on any console.....especially not the Wii's, which is the tits. If you look at the Nostromo you can see that you use your thumb for movement, which frees up your other fingers to access other buttons.

Now, like I said....the thumb pad ain't the best, but you would normally need 2 extra fingers to use WASD or the arrows (for a total of 3), whereas on the N52 you only need 1.....your thumb. I'd really love to use a Wii Nunchuk attachment, but #1) I can't, and #2) it only has 2 other buttons.

I will agree, though, that movement is a bit snappier on WASD or the arrows.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”"
- George Carlin

Old 05-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #46
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
I think technology LIKE the Wii's could potentially be even better than mouse / keyboard, though as I understand it, the Wii itself is sub-par. The Sixense thing might actually fill that gap. And yeah, gamepad aiming is just horrid for anything beyond platformers.
chilledsanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #47
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peon View Post
Unfortunately, if it's going to be something you don't like, that's how the pointer works for FPSs.
To be blunt, it has nothing to do with what I like and don't like. It has everything to do with that style of aiming/moving around making it incredibly tedious or damned near impossible to do the very basic movements required for Fortress Forever gameplay.

At the very least, given enough time, I could BHop efficiently with sticks (especially thanks to the new jump mechanic).

It's going to be incredibly tiresome or just not possible to BHop using the turning mechanic found in Wii FPS. That's the nature of it. Period.

Which was my point.

Edit: The Nostromo is fine for strafing and going straight. I use it with TF2. I can use it with FF but opt not too as it requires a bit of relearning.

The analog stick on the Wii is no different than analog sticks on any other console... other than it not being a circle (which would actually be a detriment to any sort of complex movement a-la TF2).

You could probably program HL2, and by extension FF, to use the Wiimote/nunchuck for playing. In fact, I'm sure you could find a program that would allow you to do that without a problem. If you've got a bluetooth deal on your PC, give it a shot.

You'll probably be disappointed in how absurd it is to move .

Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Credge; 05-23-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2010, 03:20 AM   #48
Agret

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Agret Send a message via AIM to Agret Send a message via MSN to Agret Send a message via Yahoo to Agret Send a message via Skype™ to Agret
Only problem with using wiimote on the PC is the sensor bar, not sure how to get that going. If you want FF on Wii, just use Wiimote on PC and connect PC to tv :P
Agret is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2010, 11:26 AM   #49
gibz
Title title title title

Class/Position: Medic O, Soldier D
Gametype: CTF, Water Battle
Affiliations: :e0: and n-t
Auto-aim doesn't work with any sort of Team Fortress game. TF2 was put out on consoles and what a failure that turned out to be.
The only times you could benefit from auto-aim would be with a hitscan weapon such as a shotgun, assault cannon, etc. There is no way to implement auto-aim for weapons that shoot projectiles (that I know of) and it would work differently than with a hitscan weapon.
Plus, FF is so much faster paced than TF2 and requires much faster response time.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:15 PM   #50
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibz View Post
There is no way to implement auto-aim for weapons that shoot projectiles (that I know of) and it would work differently than with a hitscan weapon.
some cheat authors have this down to a science

I was unaware of how bad TF2 did on consoles. haha

Old 06-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #51
Peon
Altitude Junkie
D&A Member

Quote:
I was unaware of how bad TF2 did on consoles. haha
This fact is kinda bitter-sweet for me......I love Valve and think the world of them. However, I was the first one (that I know of) to come up with the theory that TF2 was designed the way it was to cater to the console crowd.....i.e. dumbed down so it could work with a game pad. The irony of it all, if my theory is correct, is that TF2 (mostly) failed on the systems it was customized for. You could say in retro-spect that they could've made it more like FF, but we've already established how poorly a gamepad would handle that kind of game.

If I were Valve, which I'm not and could be looked at as insane here for saying this, I would buy both Black Mesa: Source and FF and develop them both to a final stage. I would then release a giant HL1(BM:S) + HL2 and Episodes + Portal + Counter-Strike + FF game for the Wii or it's successor. You could even call FF: Team Fortress Extreme, or Hyper, or some shit. But, then again, I might be nuts.
- George Carlin

Old 06-12-2010, 06:38 PM   #52
Agret

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Agret Send a message via AIM to Agret Send a message via MSN to Agret Send a message via Yahoo to Agret Send a message via Skype™ to Agret
Quote:
some cheat authors have this down to a science
Haha, aim-bot and auto aim are slightly different though :P Whereas aim bot gives you a significant advantage the auto aim of a console isn't meant to give you a major advantage, just make it possible to keep the damn crosshair in place as you wrestle the joystick
Agret is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2010, 07:34 AM   #53
MarthKoopa

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Would it be even possible to air control with an analog stick? There's no 100% left/right and 0% up/down, there will always be some percentage of every axis involved, which would really mess up air control if up/down is "active".
MarthKoopa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #54
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag is there any other
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Fitness View Post
We could incorporate Paypal merchant services directly through this site. After the payment of $59.99 is received www.fortress-forever.com would then send the buyer a burnt dvd "all legit of course" and before we know it, everyone on XBL will be hooked. Oh, let's not forget mIRC! How in the world would we do that?...
you realize that this is illegal right. your almost a troll but you don't know it yet. (yea they will rage you just wait. jk) the thing is that would violate a lot of things and xbox if valve didn't, would shut that down and probably developers get sued. then you can say bye bye to fortress forever.

assuming they did allow this they certainly wouldn't let us make money off of this. as a mod you cant make money off of it because, your using someone elses engine unless you buy it but im sure they dont have the money trust me its alot of money.
WiFiDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fortress-forever-xbox360