Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 12-26-2007, 10:52 PM   #1
battery
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Usage of Spy's gas grenades

Hello guys, I just want to share my view on how to use spy's gas grenades effectively:

1) Put some gas grenades at the entrance of your base. That will slow down enemy offensive.

2) In 2fort, toss some gas grenades up the sniper deck to halt their sniper operations for a short while. This buys some time for your HWGuys, Pyro, Soldiers and Spies to get across the middle bridge safely.

3) Use the thick, green gas as a smoke screen. If you have played Counter-strike before, you should know how to use smoke screen. Excellent against snipers.

4) This is, in my opinion, the most effective use of gas grenades. Whenever your teammates is attacking the flag room, or attempting to retrieve a dropped flag inside the enemy base, PLEASE, toss a couple gas grenades in front of enemy spawn rooms. This will slow down enemy defense for sure. If they decide to run thru the gas cloud, they will suffer significant damage. Plus, a hallucinated person will see everyone (including his own teammates) as foes. Needless to say, it's far easier to deal with defensive HW guys and demonman when they are on drug.

5) Any effective spy will frequently be unmasked and killed. The key is keep a low profile even as your are being killed. There is no need to alert every opponents of your presence. When you are uncovered by a lone soldier, just die quickly so he won't need to sound the alarm. IF, however, you did something blantant in front of everybody, then you shoud just run. No, not back to your base, no! Run toward their spawn room and unload your gas grenades there.

6) Once they've entered a spycheck panic mode, you should either change class, or try to put gas nades outside of their spawn. Keep this up, and they WILL have to deal with the annoyance. They will need to divert some of their defensive power to protect their spawn, preferably a sentry gun...which means one fewer gun guarding the flag or base perimeter.

Gas have a small radius. If you can't make sure that your victims pass thru the gas, then don't bother dropping it. The only logical places would be enemy spawn, entrance to your base, exit of enemy base, and around a dropped flag.
________
ASIAN BOOTY

Last edited by battery; 03-31-2011 at 11:30 AM.
battery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2007, 11:52 PM   #2
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by battery
This is, in my opinion, the most effective use of gas grenades. Whenever your teammates is attacking the flag room, or attempting to retrieve a dropped flag inside the enemy base, PLEASE, toss a couple gas grenades in front of enemy spawn rooms. This will slow down enemy defense for sure. If they decide to run thru the gas cloud, they will suffer significant damage. Plus, a hallucinated person will see everyone (including his own teammates) as foes. Needless to say, it's far easier to deal with defensive HW guys and demonman when they are on drug.

5) Any effective spy will frequently be unmasked and killed. The key is keep a low profile even as your are being killed. There is no need to alert every opponents of your presence. When you are uncovered by a lone soldier, just die quickly so he won't need to sound the alarm. IF, however, you did something blantant in front of everybody, then you shoud just run. No, not back to your base, no! Run toward their spawn room and unload your gas grenades there.

6) Once they've entered a spycheck panic mode, you should either change class, or try to put gas nades outside of their spawn. Keep this up, and they WILL have to deal with the annoyance. They will need to divert some of their defensive power to protect their spawn, preferably a sentry gun...which means one fewer gun guarding the flag or base perimeter.
NO! BAD! That is NOT something you want to do. That is not fair play, and it doesn't encourage any defence of the spawn room, or anything other than that, it is simply an annoyance.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:48 AM   #3
battery
D&A Member

Thank you for your opinion. I agree with you that gas, napalm, or pipebomb in front of your spawn is annoying.

Any time there is a tactic one cannot counter easily, it is not just an annoyance. It's a threat.

Can you tell me how to deal with gas grenades at your doorstep? Give me an "inexpensive" solution, and I will agree with your point about it being nothing more than annoyance.

some bad examples:
1) Put a medic in front of spawn to cure teammates who have just ran thru toxic gas.
2) Put Sentry there
3) Put HW there

None of these solutions are easy, because you have to put in resources. The medic could have been grabbing the flag, the sentry could be near the flag.

Of course, you can opt to do nothing about it. The price you pay is a reduction of combat effectiveness, due to the effects of hallucination.
That's what I have to say about the efficacy of the tactic.

Let's discuss the fairness of the tactic. Let me guess the reason behind your sentiment against this. Team Fortress is full of objects that denies access to different areas of the map. For example, dispensers blocking the entrance to flag rooms (ramps in 2fort) serve as a area denial tool. Pipebombs are even more versatile and effective for this purpose. Gas nades in front of spawn are similar. It prevents opponents from accessing parts of the map. In this case, however, it prevents them from entering ALL parts of the map. This is why you think it's unfair.

Areal denail tools are not indestructable. Dispensers can be taken down, pipebombs can be detonated with EMP, and gas grenades will not be a problem if you stop the spy! Don't let the spy get near your spawn. Sentry works wonder against cloaked spies.

I believe inundating spawn exit with gas is a fair tactic, because it can be countered. Yes, it takes resources from your team, which is why I do it. This, my friend, is what Team Fortress is all about: measure and counter-measures.
________
Interracial Gangbang

Old 12-27-2007, 12:52 AM   #4
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

You of course could, I dunno, IGNORE it? It's an annoyance, but it doesn't need to be dealt with by "expending" resources.

Aren't you the batter from the [AE] server who asked if you could spam our spawn with gas nades?

Last edited by Desyphur; 12-27-2007 at 12:58 AM.
Desyphur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2007, 12:59 AM   #5
battery
D&A Member

If you think you can deal with incoming offense under hallucination, then you should have no problem at all with the issue. I personally cannot fight effectively when all my teammates are dressed as enemies. The green glow also decreases the contrast of my vision. Clocked spies can easily run across my field of view undetected.
________
Ffm Kissing

Old 12-27-2007, 01:55 AM   #6
C-Aim
Better than Never

Spamming spawn entrances is and always has been the gayest thing ever. People who do it are t3h suck. This is terrible advice and will get you kicked out of any server with mods who give a damn.

Are you ex-cnbl by any chance lol.
C-Aim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2007, 02:01 AM   #7
GhostBuster
SHUT UP AND SWALLOW

I play a lot of spy and i almost never use gas nades, mostly cos they alert the enemy team about a spy beeing around and in that area.

What i do is start throwing gas nades when i got the flag and im beeing chased, that fucks up with the ones that follow you for sure (i throw them infront of me with out helding so they will activate when i pass them, affecting the enemy for sure.
GhostBuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2007, 02:58 AM   #8
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
You we're going great until you talked about spawn nading. That is, by far, the griefiest thing in the world. It's almost as bad as playing an MMO that has open-world PVP and simply ganking lower levels because it makes you feel good about yourself.

It's like masturbating into a cup.
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2007, 03:01 AM   #9
GhostBuster
SHUT UP AND SWALLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge
You we're going great until you talked about spawn nading. That is, by far, the griefiest thing in the world. It's almost as bad as playing an MMO that has open-world PVP and simply ganking lower levels because it makes you feel good about yourself.

It's like masturbating into a cup.
Meh, they take little damage, be a tough boy and handle it, it isnt a big deal.

Is like if then u spill the cup content into a girls face, isnt that bad at all but still isnt as good as directly cumming in the girls face.
GhostBuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2007, 05:14 AM   #10
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
I was talking about spawn spamming in general.
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2007, 07:17 AM   #11
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
I thought the FF gas nades did like 1 damage total... has that changed or something?

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2007, 07:22 AM   #12
Jester
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: O: Scout
Affiliations: {NFO} - New Family Order
It does continuous damage like an infection. I don't think it's much but it's definitely more than 1.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2007, 07:34 AM   #13
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
Annoying people since 1986

Class/Position: O fatty, pyro - D engy, pyro
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: This space for rent.
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via MSN to פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
I like to call 'em "fartbombs"
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2007, 02:20 PM   #14
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
I thought the FF gas nades did like 1 damage total... has that changed or something?
It does a total of 10 damage if you sit there and stand in the cloud methinks.

But that's not the point. You still get gassed when you get out of spawn. It's like you waking up to your brother mooning you and farting in your face. Totally unexpected and unforgivable...
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2007, 02:28 PM   #15
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
Annoying people since 1986

Class/Position: O fatty, pyro - D engy, pyro
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: This space for rent.
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via MSN to פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg

But that's not the point. You still get gassed when you get out of spawn. It's like you waking up to your brother mooning you and farting in your face. Totally unexpected and unforgivable...
'Hey bro?' What? *FTOOOOMPH* "AH DUDE THAT'S GROSE DAMMIT EEEEWWWW"
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2007, 06:02 PM   #16
battery
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg

IF you don't defend your spawn area, and IF you decide to ignore the enemies running freeing all over your base, and IF you fail to value your spawn room as the supply line of your army...

Then...expect to be gassed as you walked out of your doorstep.

But still, that is not your biggest problem.

YOU might eat a SENTRY GUN rocket as you open the spawn room gate!!!

Forget about grabbing the flag, or even defending the flag for now. First thing first. How do you plan to reinforce and resupply your troops? In Team Fortress, the only reinforcement you get is your spawn rooms. An army that stretch its supply lines too thin risks being cut off and encircled. Same deal here in Team Fortress. You will quickly find yourself confined to your tiny arsenal if your don't protect its escape routes.

Don't tell me you have not experienced this:
Level 3 sentry outside of your spawn. A HW guys with his auto-cannon all warmed-up, and a bunch of pipebombs covering every inch of ground. Medics and Scouts capping your flag every 30 seconds.

I don't care how well your flag room is fortified. If you cannot resupply your team with fresh troops and ammo, you will fall.
________
Vaporizer affiliates

Old 12-27-2007, 07:50 PM   #17
Jester
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: O: Scout
Affiliations: {NFO} - New Family Order
Whatever you say battery. Just be sure to read each server's rules before you find yourself banned unknowingly.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2007, 08:00 PM   #18
pF
no war but class war
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Soldier / Scout
Gametype: ctf
Affiliations: [w~k!]
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Having to walk through a spy gren isn't half as bad as wading through a mirv, though.. just slightly annoying. Next up: no backstabs! Too annoying!
pF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2007, 08:02 PM   #19
C-Aim
Better than Never

lol you are clearly alone on this one battery. Everything you describe is griefing and people don't like it. The reason is simple: it is unsportsmanlike. Games like FF and TFC and TF2 (to a lesser extent) are fun as long as people are not doing things that intentionally exploit the game's weaknesses and ruin the overall experience. There is no skill or tactics involved in spamming a respawn door, and the only people that like it are the people actually doing the spamming.
C-Aim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2007, 08:03 PM   #20
battery
D&A Member

That's a very important point you brought up, Jester.

Make sure you obey the server's rules. Tactics that seem valid and commonplace in one server may be a bannable offense in another. I have seen a TFC server that prohibits the Pryo class. They claim that Pyro is useless and anyone who uses Pyro is not contributing to the team. So read carefully before you take actions.

FF is still in it's infant stage. There aren't many FF servers out there, so please be careful. You don't wanna be banned from any of the merely 10 servers out there.
________
BLACK AMATEUR VIDEOS

Last edited by battery; 03-31-2011 at 11:31 AM.