Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 01-03-2005, 10:41 AM   #1
o_rmx

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
why is...

TFC looked down upon by other fortress communities such as Q3F (ETF)?

i want to know gameplay-specific details, i already know the simple "they're not used to it" deal
o_rmx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2005, 11:23 AM   #2
o_ekim

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Grenades are overpowered. The skill level is far far lower. That's about it.
o_ekim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2005, 11:28 AM   #3
o_zydell

I guess that you could say that tfc gameplay is somewhat slower and indeed the grenades... but other then that I couldnt really think of other reasons, I guess it could be a matter of personal opinion
o_zydell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2005, 12:08 PM   #4
o_afx

Having played both i dont really think tfc is considerably slower than q3f if it is at all, There are only a few maps in q3f that are the exception to this i.e stag where you can pretty much go from fd to fr with one conc and a bit of bunnyhopping.
As for skill level well again lets just say airshots are considerably easier in qwtf and q3f, Im not really in a position to compare the relative amount of skill it takes to play soldier in each game though.

Id say it just comes down to the fact that tfc isnt on the quake engine so a lotve the hardcore qwtf players had difficulties accepting it as a true fortress mod and probably never even gave it a chance, You'll probably get the same reaction with fortress forever unfortunately, regardless of the quality of the mod.
o_afx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2005, 01:54 PM   #5
o_zydell

I havent really played q3f too much but what I always found the gameplay on the q3 engine smoother and faster but that might be a personal opinion. An argument for tfc would be that the original hl engine was based on the q1 engine (and not q2) though it all doesnt really matter as they've modified it heavily.

I do think that if a mod really is good quality (not just in graphics) it will eventually attract the public whether they are die hard (quake) tf fans or not, only problem is that I see a lot of team fortress mods pop up..
o_zydell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2005, 07:44 PM   #6
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

QWTF is Quake. Q3F is Quake. TFC is HL. That's about the crux of it. It's the same as anything, really. TFC'ers generally treat CS'ers like crap, just as Quakers usually treat us like crap. I've talked with plenty of Q3Fers over the years and while quite a few acted like nobs towards me because I was a TFCer, just as many if not more were helpful and nice chaps.
Defrag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2005, 02:20 PM   #7
o_pedro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defrag
QWTF is Quake. Q3F is Quake. TFC is HL. That's about the crux of it. It's the same as anything, really. TFC'ers generally treat CS'ers like crap, just as Quakers usually treat us like crap. I've talked with plenty of Q3Fers over the years and while quite a few acted like nobs towards me because I was a TFCer, just as many if not more were helpful and nice chaps.
Half-Life is modified Quake.

I don't see how a TF mod not using a 100% ID software based engine makes it any different to the others...
o_pedro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2005, 07:43 PM   #8
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

HL is Quake modified to the point of it being unrecognisable :P The point is that the QWTFers largely stuck with their own game or moved to Q3F.
Defrag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2005, 10:22 PM   #9
o_pedro

It's still Quake :P

Played MP Quake1 the other day for a laugh... its surprising how simular it is to HLMP
o_pedro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2005, 02:06 PM   #10
o_afx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
It's still Quake :P

Played MP Quake1 the other day for a laugh... its surprising how simular it is to HLMP
You might say that but the to the people who'd played qwtf for a few years the hl engine obviously wasnt quakelike enough.

You can understand it in a way, you get used to a mod, youre still having fun playing it so why change, especially as at the time tfc came out i think the qwtf community was still going pretty strong.
Id say FF has come just at the right time for tfc though because whilst its not on its last legs its not exactly healthy.
o_afx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2005, 08:26 PM   #11
o_returner

I switched from QWTF to TFC, and loved it. It's a bit different than QWTF, but that's not a bad thing.
o_returner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2005, 09:39 PM   #12
o_storm

I think it is safe to say that the majority of players within any mod will look down on someone else. Thats just the way of humanity, it makes people feel better about the time they spend playing a game.
o_storm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2005, 02:32 AM   #13
o_anthraxium[wu]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm
I think it is safe to say that the majority of players within any mod will look down on someone else. Thats just the way of humanity, it makes people feel better about the time they spend playing a game.
word.

Just today we had a guy come into our channel and bash TFC in favor of QWTF ... I can understand thats its old school and that everyone liked it, back then ... but why bash TFC now? meh ... doesnt matter seeing as how we will have TFC:S soon anyways then they can bash all they want but @ least we will know our game pwns
o_anthraxium[wu] is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2005, 03:17 AM   #14
o_damage

Because TFC isnt 'pure' CTF thus people think its easier, suckier, lamer etc..
o_damage is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2005, 10:17 PM   #15
o_rmx

wasn't Q3F/ETF going to be the same "TFC-style" ctf?
o_rmx is offline   Reply With Quote