Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 01-22-2007, 11:38 PM   #1
o_madjester

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
How long did it take?

Just wondering, how long did it take for yall to complete your maps (well obviously its not complete till we get the entity set, but you know what I mean)

Please include a link to screenshots.
o_madjester is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2007, 04:25 AM   #2
o_imbrifer

It really depends on the size/complexity of your map.

Sky and Attrition each took me <1 month, but 2morforever took me the greater part of a year since I spent so much time refining and coming back to it. I'm still working on Lake, which I began over a year ago. But I usually work on multiple maps concurrently, so its not like I'm plugging away at one constantly for any given time period.
o_imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2007, 03:17 PM   #3
o_donny

It pretty much depends if you decide to have life in the middle. I usually map when I feel like it, when Im not mapping Im processing the idea in my head and thinking of stuff to it.
o_donny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2007, 04:44 PM   #4
o_gambit

like he^ said it depends on if you want a life in the middle...

i have a 2 week old son that is taking time away from FF_Hollow...and it doesnt bother me one bit...aside from that...this is what i do...i work on the map...i go in it check it out and take screenshots...then while i'm at work(cant work on map)..i sit back and look at the screenshots...and i think...what could i do here?..what can i do next?...what would make this area more appealing?...and when i get home i play with my son and lil girls and then i get to work on it....

my g/f doesnt take any of my time away from the computer...it actually helps our relationship...all we do is fight and she ends up telling me to "go play your game"...so i just stay on it...lol..

EDIT: i completed both "Cube_Gam" and "SGwar_Gam" in one weekend...but there nothing major...
o_gambit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2007, 04:48 PM   #5
o_own3r

I am currently doing level design about once or twice a month at current with exams at the moment, I make the distinction between level design and mapping because they are not the same thing. Mapping is taking the plan and implementing it level design is what it says on the tin designing a level.

Anyway I've been very irregularly designing bits of my level for about 4 months, its developed a lot from the original. So taking your time is worth while I think, also my creativity is sparse at best so mulling things over for a while helps.

If I had sat down and done some every day I would had done about two weeks work I reckon so far.
o_own3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2007, 05:10 PM   #6
o_bumgravy

Been working on colossus (im totally oging to change the name) on and off for about six months now, learning source mapping while I do it, and for being what I would think of as a large map Its getting very close to completion.
o_bumgravy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2007, 05:29 PM   #7
o_madjester

I've mapped a long time before, so I know about the off and on ness of it. I recently booted up Hammer v2 and started screwing around with source. All these new things are like woah! I know they are there, but I can't seem to figure out where I would use them best. (displacements)

But for anyone out there that knows me, and follows some of my maps. I have begun working on Divinity for source. I have a ton of time on my hands (I am currently bored leveling in wow) since I am in alaska. Not too much to do during the week. I threw up the construct walls for the main floor, today I'll prolly do either the basement or the roof. Then comes the horrible task of finding a theme/texturing/detailing that takes up the most time. UGH!

I have never made a map on source but:

My (imho) best map took 7months of off and on, untill I lost the source ina hard drive crash. (Divinity)

My shortest map ever took a week of hardcore mapping. (Waterwar)

Old 01-23-2007, 05:40 PM   #8
o_gambit

make your own textures

Old 01-23-2007, 06:04 PM   #9
o_madjester

I'm not very artistic when it comes to textures. In fact, I down right suck at them.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:13 PM   #10
o_gambit

do what i do....find 3 good matching repeatitive textures that you like...and out of those 3(or more) make all of the textures you need...the textures i have in hollow i made from 2 textures....and now have about 30-40(i'll have to check)

i still have those textures i started with on hollow that i'm not going to use...i may try and finish them for a small texture pack for ya'll....we'll see...

EDIT: i found some screenshots of Cube_Gam and SGwar_Gam that i was talking about...thought i'd share a few...

Cube_Gam...very very fun...all out war...no where to hide!!

SGwar_Gam....fun...but couldve been better

can you tell how much i love the blue and red colors?...expect it in hollow as well...just not as over powering...

Last edited by o_gambit; 01-23-2007 at 06:19 PM.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:45 PM   #11
o_madjester

Here is the result of my texturing in TFC:

Old 01-23-2007, 08:45 PM   #12
o_nodnarb

whats wrong with it?
o_nodnarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2007, 10:42 AM   #13
o_nezumi

I just realised that I've been working on cacti for nearly a year. It's been especially slow though. Most of my maps I start and get 80-90% done (brush count wise anyway) within 2 weeks, then take more than a month to do the rest of the way.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2007, 09:47 PM   #14
o_madjester

yea, I spent about 3 good days. and I have the bases laid out. brush work only. (on divinity for ff)

But since then I have stopped.

grr...

Old 01-27-2007, 11:53 PM   #15
o_ginger lord

According to my Epicenter thread, it took me about 2 months to get to the first released version. That was a fair amount of work a day and I'm a fairly quick mapper too.
o_ginger lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2007, 12:20 AM   #16
o_jarek

best map ever too bad i dont have time to map for FF

edit: woaaa majorly misunderstood the purpose of this thread, sorry skipped to few responses
o_jarek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2007, 01:14 AM   #17
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Two weeks before I trashed it.

Many thanks to kam for not holding back. That map was shit.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:28 AM   #18
o_bumgravy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
Two weeks before I trashed it.

Many thanks to kam for not holding back. That map was shit.
Everyone sucks after two weeks. Look back at the first page on my map post, after I posted my first set of pics, your first comment was "the yard sucks". All you need is a little bit of inspiration* and some time, learning mapping is a fun and rewarding process!

*Bigbaggaweed
o_bumgravy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2007, 06:48 PM   #19
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
You dare inspire me to take up mapping again? CAN'T SAY I RECOMMEND THAT.

Also I don't smoke. So yeah, no inspiration on my end.