Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
MarketGarden

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Excessive infecting unsportmanlike?

Hi, I would like your candid opinions:

1) Is it considered to be "good behavior" for a medic to dedicate all his time in infecting enemies? You know, the kind of medic who give you a conc, tag you once with med pack and run away...and repeats for as long as he lives. Is this considered okay in a pubic server?

2) In clan matches, are offensive medic allowed to infect defense at all?

Thank you in advance for you input.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:53 AM   #2
Firefox11

Class/Position: O&D: Pyro, Sniper
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: FF.AvD [FF AvD/ID guild]
AFAIK pub play allows for almost everything, unless the server rules say otherwise.

Don't know in clan matches, but a Medic trying to infect the Defense won't be all that productive for his team, because he can be killed faster than if he just tried to grab the flag and run. Of course that giving a death penalty to a D is a good thing, but that Defender can just kill himself between Offense waves...

Old 05-19-2008, 09:04 AM   #3
v3rtigo
Lock 'n Loll!

Class/Position: Scout, Spy, Sniper
Gametype: CTF
Ya, infection is more of annoying the other guy/team rather than an effective tactic. That's why it's much more popular in pubs...

Old 05-19-2008, 09:21 AM   #4
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
It's a hell of a defensive tactic! One Medic can screw over most of the enemy offense. Mwa ha ha ha ha...

Shoulda taken your vaccinations, boyos!

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:50 PM   #5
dys
I am the nip to your bud.

It's inevitable in pub play. Not to be frowned upon, not to be glorified.

In league matches it's perfectly acceptable to do to the opposing team's defense, but not their offense. In today's leagues of pussification it's against the rules for anyone to OvO.

Infecting the opposing team's D can be very helpful in certain situations. If it's on a defender that's playing a position that his offensive buddies (medics) won't be able to heal him, you've guaranteed your team one man to be out of position at some point.

It was probably more worthwhile in tfc, however, as the HW was the prime target for infection. Also, since FF only has a 5-5 league and an imaginary 7-7, it is probably easier for the defenders to suicide and get back into position since there aren't as many attackers.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:57 PM   #6
Private_Joker
a fucking comedian
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout and Medic
Send a message via AIM to Private_Joker
Yeah, I concur with all of that. Go ahead and spam infection all you want, because medkit is not very effective when used indiscriminately, now that spreading is removed.

I play Medic frequently, and I only infect classes that are temporally isolated from their teammates or objectives--that is, classes that would take alot of time to get healed or get to a useful position (e.g. offense). These include Snipers, HWs, and sometimes Soldiers. In the time it would take them to do anything, the infection makes it very likely that they'd die, and hence be useless. Alternately, with Scouts and the other quick classes, they can still get alot done while infected, including being healed by a friendly Medic, so I just pass them a primed frag nade and send them on their way (to HELL!).

...and that's why spamming medkit is ineffective.

The war is never over!

-Joker

Old 05-19-2008, 08:15 PM   #7
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
When I play medic I pretty much only infect someone if I know I'm going to die anyway. Like if I make it to the enemy base and fight off a pyro only to be left with no armor and 3 health. I'll try to infect as many people as I can before dying.

Or, if a player is annoying me by running into respawn in the middle of a fight a lot. Then I just infect them and run away. That way, they have to stay in respawn to live!

Old 05-19-2008, 08:59 PM   #8
Handym
I got some bread, bitch

Send a message via MSN to Handym Send a message via Skype™ to Handym
It's a game feature, of course it's not unsportsmanlike. That's like saying using AWP in CS is unsportsmanlike.

(You'd be surprised how many actually do think that)

Old 05-19-2008, 09:15 PM   #9
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handym
It's a game feature, of course it's not unsportsmanlike. That's like saying using AWP in CS is unsportsmanlike.
or like saying that piping and spamming enemy respawns is unsportsmanlike, right?

constant infecting is pretty obnoxious and not really all that helpful to your team. i usually only do it to enemy snipers, who are also pretty obnoxious and not really helpful to the team.
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit

Old 05-19-2008, 09:54 PM   #10
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
It bothers me that people would only infect people, when the Medic has one of the best arsenals in the game.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:26 PM   #11
Peon
Altitude Junkie
D&A Member

Class/Position: Agressive Medic or Pyro...as long as I can fly baby!
Seeing as infecting isn't as effective as it used to be, a player who did that all the time would not be very productive. I only infect dudes I catch unaware, Spies who try to chase me down with a knife, or anyone who's close by when I'm near dead. Constantly infecting will just get you killed more.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”"
- George Carlin

Old 05-19-2008, 10:26 PM   #12
Private_Joker
a fucking comedian
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout and Medic
Send a message via AIM to Private_Joker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handym
That's like saying using AWP in CS is unsportsmanlike.

(You'd be surprised how many actually do think that)
All of CS is unsportsmanlike, especially the AWP. That game is just broken.

-Joker

Old 05-19-2008, 10:51 PM   #13
tml
make it rain

if you can infect a demoman who is piping the flag it is a good play imo. that is if he doesnt hit you with a blue first

Old 05-19-2008, 11:10 PM   #14
myersjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
It's a hell of a defensive tactic! One Medic can screw over most of the enemy offense. Mwa ha ha ha ha...

Shoulda taken your vaccinations, boyos!
IM gonna go with this response, but, you dont wanna try that in scrims and or competitive play..you're job is to score when competing. If you're not scoring, or perhaps giving something else for the d to watch out for then maybe that might work in pubs. If the D is halfway good tho..they'll kill before you even get close enough to infect..

Old 05-20-2008, 12:56 AM   #15
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
It kind of makes me wonder why spreading was removed in the first place. Like someone said, I can't imagine infection being a serious tactic in clanmatches, but it's awesome for pubs, watching clueless players bump into each other.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:16 AM   #16
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
team infection was removed because avoiding your teammates is inconsistent with the fortress style gameplay, which is to work with your team to complete objectives. among other reasons.
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit

Old 05-20-2008, 03:26 AM   #17
zE
Pew pew ze beams

Gametype: Gathers
Affiliations: pew pew
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
ye medic infection is lame..sniping is lame! but FUN! kinda taking the fun stuff out of the mode. now sniper is bleh, infection spread was a lot of fun in TFC days, in FF is bleh. I play clanstyle mainly and neither sniper or infecting is allowed, but in pubs ye it was fun, in ff bleh. and tbh u only see team work in clanstyle, pub powa is search/destroy/annoy/kill/lame/fun so lets put the fun in again!

Last edited by zE; 05-20-2008 at 03:39 AM.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:40 AM   #18
fireb0rn

once you play enough, it just becomes a nonissue. Most of the time you can just kill them without even being infected, but even if they do infect you, they're wasting a lot more time to do it than you are by just suiciding.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:22 PM   #19
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanky Butterpuss
team infection was removed because avoiding your teammates is inconsistent with the fortress style gameplay, which is to work with your team to complete objectives. among other reasons.
^^^

On the flip side, that is one of the reasons why infection was such a great tool. IMHO, if the medics weaponry was toned down a bunch, then that team infection stuffs would work decently as a good balance. But I can't stand team infection. Best feature of 2.0 IMHO.

Ronald Reagan

Old 05-20-2008, 07:24 PM   #20
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanky Butterpuss
or like saying that piping and spamming enemy respawns is unsportsmanlike, right?

constant infecting is pretty obnoxious and not really all that helpful to your team. i usually only do it to enemy snipers, who are also pretty obnoxious and not really helpful to the team.
Piping respawns isn't a "game feature" it's an abuse of something that can't be gotten around at the moment, short of making pipes ineffective out of spawn. (which I don't think should be done)

The game is specifically coded to allow for the existence of infections. If a med is gonna run around and do nothing but infect then let him. As far as pubs go he should be able to do what he wants, and he's not gonna get anywhere playing that way. But to complain every time any kind of infection hits you is just annoying.

There are so many people that suicide as soon as they get infected or are clear from it, and I think it's hysterical. Thing is, you're the fatass that wasn't moving fast enough, good enough, or paying enough attention to prevent from getting infected. You deserve to die. (*1)And to kill yourself under the claim of "better helping your team" is just way for you to avoid taking the embarrassment of everyone seeing the med pack kill sprite in the upper right corner.

1: I'm not saying it isn't helpful to your team, just that most of the claims in that particular thought process are relatively cowardly.

Closed Thread