Old 02-23-2012, 01:24 AM   #1
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 35 Times
ESR Promotional Post

Hello FF community!

Here is the first rough draft of a post that I will be making on ESR and GameSpot to help raise awareness for FF. I highly encourage constructive criticism and insight such as different wordings, things to add or take out, and better links for showing off FF and TFC gameplay.

===================================

Hello ESR! New poster, but I’ve been playing Quake for a while.

In any case, I would like to humbly inform you of a fantastic, free Source mod: Fortress Forever.

Fortress Forever is, in essence, a modern rendition of Team Fortress Classic that “is supposed to be about bringing Team Fortress to modern times, evolved into something more fun and appealing without losing its soul.”

Originally a Quake mod by Robin Walker, John Cook, and Ian Coughley, Team Fortress combined the strategic class, team-based elements in 1996 that we see in Fortress games today with fast pace of Quake to make a dynamic and engaging experience for all involved. It became widely popular mod that was played by the thousands.

The next iteration of Team Fortress came about as a mod for Half-Life in the form of Team Fortress Classic, which became wildly popular and successful.

Team Fortress “revolves around a number of teams competing in a variety of game modes with players selecting one of nine classes to play as… The way a player acts in a game is mostly defined by which class they select, and as such, Team Fortress Classic relies heavily on teamwork between players of different classes.”

Fortress Forever was released on September 13, 2007 as a free Source mod that was heavily inspired by Team Fortress Classic, but was nonetheless built from the ground up. The idea of Fortress Forever is to provide new players with an engaging, endlessly compelling game to get engrossed in while at the same time providing Team Fortress Classic players with a pleasing, more modern alternative to their beloved, timeless game.

The gameplay is fast-paced, dynamic, engaging, and very difficult to master, similar to the beloved Quake physics. The nine classes that have been ingrained in the game for so long are all dutifully represented in style in the Source engine. The developers are active and engaged with the community, which is comprised of quite a few passionate, dedicated, and helpful individuals. It is an enjoyable, adrenaline-pumping, fantastic team-based game that is sure to please both TFC and Quake players with its superb, fast physics and its awesome gameplay.

There is a relatively active pickup community, which can be found at #ff.pickup on QuakeNet, and spectating them is always encouraged for new players and old. Participation, after some time spent in-game, is encouraged even more. Although the community is still small in comparison to a number of other shooters out there today, our community is slowly growing in size, and we’re starting to reach out to the gaming world at large to help expand, as well as reaching out to various leagues and event organizers.

So why not swing by www.fortress-forever.com and check it out? If you have any fond memories of Team Fortress, TFC, or are simply interested in trying out a new game that will hopefully appeal to you as a Quake player, I can’t recommend Fortress Forever enough.

Here are some videos if you have made it this far.

And finally, some TFC gameplay:

I hope you check it out, and thank you for reading. Join our amazing, bustling community, and help this wonderful game grow!

Have a good one.

=====================================

I realize that the links should be adjusted based off of the superior knowledge of the users here in comparison to me. Even things such as the order of how the link should be posted is crucial, I think, for marketing purposes for those who are clicking merely out of curiosity.

That's all I have for now. Cheers!

Last edited by CaptainAhab; 02-24-2012 at 11:09 PM.
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
TL;DR

No just kidding. What I'm trying to say is that your post is a little long winded. You could definately cut a paragraph or two.
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Nice
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDA_Approved View Post
TL;DR

No just kidding. What I'm trying to say is that your post is a little long winded. You could definately cut a paragraph or two.
Haha yeah, I tend to rant. What would you personally recommend snipping?

I figured I should give a brief history of the TF genre for those who have not been properly acquainted, so people aren't scratching their heads as much as they are observing and appreciating the history coupled with the unique gameplay.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:39 PM   #5
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
Haha yeah, I tend to rant. What would you personally recommend snipping?

I figured I should give a brief history of the TF genre for those who have not been properly acquainted, so people aren't scratching their heads as much as they are observing and appreciating the history coupled with the unique gameplay.
:P No offense meant. Idk if any of the paragraphs need snipped, but definately condensed. Let me read it over a couple times, and see if I can come up with any advice.

EDIT:

Quote:
On April 7, 1999, Team Fortress Classic was released with much critical acclaim by Valve Software, who hired the original team to develop TFC. It was originally released as a free addition to the groundbreaking game that I’m sure most of you remember and hopefully have played, Half-Life.
This can be condensed a lot. It's not as important to your cause. (showing people FF) I'd suggest something along the lines of "The next iteration of Team Fortress came about as a source mod for Half-Life in the form of TFC."

Quote:
Typically, players have the choice of two equal teams, red and blue, although certain game modes allow for more than two teams with access to different classes…
Snip that IMO.

Quote:
As per the FF website: “Fortress Forever is a Team Fortress mod for Half-life 2's Source Engine. Our independent team has created this mod entirely from scratch. Fortress Forever should please those who have stuck with or been a part Half-life: TFC over the years while at the same time doing more for new TF players than any prior Fortress attempt.” I am pleased to say that it does this in spades,
Snip, but leave the bit about being fun and adrenalin pumping action for quakers and tfc players.

Other than that I tend to like it. Just needs to be streamlined and to the point for certain people to give it the time of day.

I really like the posting of videos. Good idea to show off some FF fun. And I should have a video with pub frags out in the next couple days you could add.

Last edited by FDA_Approved; 02-23-2012 at 11:49 PM.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:38 AM   #6
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Wow, thank you so much for the informative reply! I will get to work on this post in my Word document later tonight when I have more time, then edit my OP accordingly.

More constructive criticism and comments are more than encouraged, guys!

Also, note that many of the Quake references in this post are specifically tailored for ESR. They won't necessarily be present in my post on various other, more general gaming websites. Unless, of course, you guys feel that the Quake references add a lot to the integrity of the post. I'm sure 90% of people reading this post on the general gaming websites will have some sort of a clue what Quake is. If not, it won't be the first time I post a few frag videos and educate someone.

Last edited by CaptainAhab; 02-24-2012 at 12:44 AM.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:40 AM   #7
aleXtric
#FF.Pickup Dictator
Beta Tester

Gametype: ADL
Affiliations: KiNGz .
Posts Rated Helpful 100 Times
id wait to post this until the new patch comes, if theyre experienced FPS players they'll instantly think this games a joke the first game they play when they get killed by 15 lasers. not being a generic laser hater but its true.
aleXtric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2012, 01:44 AM   #8
Atreuce
Tiny Asian Penis Man
Beta Tester

Class/Position: D - Engy/Demo
Gametype: CTF/AvD
Affiliations: rQ
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Send a message via AIM to Atreuce Send a message via Yahoo to Atreuce Send a message via Skype™ to Atreuce
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleXtric View Post
id wait to post this until the new patch comes, if theyre experienced FPS players they'll instantly think this games a joke the first game they play when they get killed by 15 lasers. not being a generic laser hater but its true.
true.
Atreuce is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2012, 01:45 AM   #9
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Ah, understood. Is there any projected release date for the next patch?

No rush whatsoever... this is just a rough draft.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:46 AM   #10
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

And yes, most of the people that tend to post on ESR and frequent it are experienced Quake players (and... the community there is relatively toxic).

Old 02-24-2012, 01:46 AM   #11
Atreuce
Tiny Asian Penis Man
Beta Tester

Send a message via AIM to Atreuce Send a message via Yahoo to Atreuce Send a message via Skype™ to Atreuce
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
Ah, understood. Is there any projected release date for the next patch?

No rush whatsoever... this is just a rough draft.
Could be a few weeks... few months... maybe even a year. Who knows?

Old 02-24-2012, 01:48 AM   #12
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Who knows indeed.

Alrighty, thank you!

Old 02-24-2012, 02:01 AM   #13
Atreuce
Tiny Asian Penis Man
Beta Tester

Not trying to troll - just saying, it's really no telling when it could come out... May not want to wait too long to do your post because of that reason alone. =o

Old 02-24-2012, 11:08 PM   #14
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Edited in my Word document, and will be re-posting in just a second.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #15
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

I've finally posted enough on ESR for admins to stop checking my posts every time I submit something.

Once FDA has finished his movie I'll add that to the list, switch out the YouTube Plays of the Month with the Vimeo ones, and we'll be good to go!

Old 02-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #16
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

I finished it and uploaded it as unlisted to see how it turned out. One of the songs was tagged I guess, but the video was not blocked. Kinda thinking about changing it but I don't really want to.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #17
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDA_Approved View Post
I finished it and uploaded it as unlisted to see how it turned out. One of the songs was tagged I guess, but the video was not blocked. Kinda thinking about changing it but I don't really want to.
Do whatever you feel is best!

Old 02-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #18
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

It's up!

I'll try to keep it near the top as long as I can -- ESR is a huge Quake and gaming plaza.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:54 PM   #19
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Links to thread plox. Also my video is up and ready.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #20
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

http://esreality.com/?a=post&id=2228714 There ya go. Saw the video and loved it, FDA!

About to post on GameSpot now.