Go Back   Fortress Forever > Help & Technical > Server Administration

Old 09-29-2007, 03:26 PM   #21
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
I'm not going to comment either way on whether I consider enforcing clantags on public clanstyle servers to be a good idea or not, but there is logic behind it: if someone even realises that he has to wear a tag and then does so, then he is much more likely to also understand the other etiquette and concepts surrounding clanstyle play. It's basically a very simple filter that helps make the admin's job on public clanstyle servers much easier, and it proved very successful in TFC.
caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2007, 04:03 PM   #22
SmellyCat
Darknight

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
But at what cost?
SmellyCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2007, 04:19 PM   #23
Geenie

nm

Last edited by Geenie; 09-30-2007 at 06:42 AM.
Geenie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2007, 04:47 PM   #24
Atari

Don't close it. I like this thread, it's my favourite
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2007, 01:03 AM   #25
Bakedbean
Crap, where's a gun!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geenie
you had 300+ ping, so you were lagging your way past the defense, you were offense pyro, and you wernt using [] , but in the end i can kick or ban you if i plain don't like you, i paid for the server and when you join a server you accept the rules or go play somewhere else..

Way to go you llama. This is the crap that hurts FF.

FYI client ping does not lag the server. K. Just so you know before hand.
Bakedbean is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2007, 01:20 AM   #26
NewKleer

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesium
if someone even realises that he has to wear a tag and then does so, then he is much more likely to also understand the other etiquette and concepts surrounding clanstyle play.
that sounds reasonable, thanks
NewKleer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2007, 03:06 AM   #27
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Cool, another server to avoid.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:25 AM   #28
SME
Damn lazy bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakedbean
Way to go you llama. This is the crap that hurts FF.

FYI client ping does not lag the server. K. Just so you know before hand.
He's right, it is his server and he can kick/ban for any reason including ping. I use mani's ping limit (set to 200) becaues I don't want HPB's on my servers either. I don't know about FF, specifically, but some mods *do* have issues with high pingers and lag comp. It does wierd thigs to the hitboxes. Perhaps FF doesn't use lag comp/prediction/whatever but as an admin we still have the right to limit ping if we want.
SME is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2007, 09:22 AM   #29
v3rtigo
Lock 'n Loll!

Class/Position: Scout, Spy, Sniper
Gametype: CTF
Most people don't like servers like these because they don't run it. Once you're trying to run a public clan-style server and people come barging in and start doing whatever they please because they haven't read the rules, the other people are going to get annoyed and leave the server. In the end it will be like another pub if you don't do anything about it. And if you've told 100 people that day that they need to read the rules then you will probably lose some of your patience and kindness.

Rules are fine, enforcing them is fine, these type of servers are meant for a certain group anyway, much like FF itself so saying that this is bullshit is like saying that FF should've been like TF2 because it would be better for new players.
v3rtigo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2007, 09:37 AM   #30
groovyf
In the clouds

What's wrong with offy pyro? Sure, it was "frowned" upon in TFC, but I thought the whole idea behind FF and class alterations was to remove this sort of stigma. Wasn't the pyro buffed a bit to actually make it a better offy class?

I'd go on a big rant here, but cba.
It's FF, not TFC:2. New rules, new playstyles and new setups. Live with it, or we'll just be back at prem clans dictating FF gameplay.

Well done.
groovyf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2007, 01:46 PM   #31
Don
D&A Member

I think pyro is pretty good in defence. Haven't tried offy pyro but I fear the superior armour and firepower wont make up for the lack of concs and therefore lower number of runs per x minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loader
What mod? FF is a big lie, the beta sucks, it's actually just HL2DM with stolen models. All the screenshots are Photoshopped by a paid artist while we all set back and laugh at you fags for believing us.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2007, 02:26 PM   #32
Stephen
Sniper hater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
Cool, another server to avoid.
QFT.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2007, 06:20 PM   #33
SME
Damn lazy bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3rtigo
Most people don't like servers like these because they don't run it. Once you're trying to run a public clan-style server and people come barging in and start doing whatever they please because they haven't read the rules, the other people are going to get annoyed and leave the server. In the end it will be like another pub if you don't do anything about it. And if you've told 100 people that day that they need to read the rules then you will probably lose some of your patience and kindness.

Rules are fine, enforcing them is fine, these type of servers are meant for a certain group anyway, much like FF itself so saying that this is bullshit is like saying that FF should've been like TF2 because it would be better for new players.
QFT (see how anyone can do that? )

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyf
What's wrong with offy pyro?
Nothing unless there's a rule to stop it. There are more than one right way to play any class but there is only one right way to follow the rules.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:12 PM   #34
Industrial

as long as you play offy like an offy and not like a total fucken idiot (eg you go to their base and get their flag, not wander around midfield killing their offense) there is nothing wrong with playing scout medic pyro soldier spy or demo in offense.
Sniper is usually disabled and hw, well, if you can't figure that out...
Industrial is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2007, 10:28 PM   #35
DocWolfe

Hi Geenie
DocWolfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2007, 04:49 AM   #36
Jixe

nice, good to see old skool clans representing, FF has loads of potential, lets hope it turns out better than TFC was, has a way to go yet though imo, lets hope it gets there, all the better for a 187 servah!
Jixe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2007, 02:50 PM   #37
rannibunny
You are a pirate!

Anyone who's annoyed about the []-Tag thingy: I've played on their server without any tag quite a few times and noone ever complained.

I did put the []-Tag in front of my name by now, though. Hope I'll get asked out by a clan, soon ^^
I even put my most recent (~5 years ago? No idea...) clans behind my name (No-Clan, D-Walk, pG... and BA ^^) but that only made everyone who knew ask if D-walk (which used to have the tag behind their name, anyway) is back ^^
rannibunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2007, 01:10 PM   #38
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
I really think this isn't a good idea unless you password it. Otherwise people are going to come in not knowing "clan rules" because they're not something that obviously helps gameplay.

I got kicked from one of these because I was playing a pyro, I was running out of the respawn and immediately got attacked by the enemy team, so I burned them all and killed one of them, next thing I know somebody's spamming the chat that I was defending when I was supposed to be on offense and then boom, I'm kicked in under 3 minutes.

I at least understand that these are arbitrary rules, though I think just about anyone would be annoyed that they get kicked for defending themselves. Sure, you may be paying for a server, but the FF community is gasping as it is. As I type this, there are only 5 servers up that have people playing in them. Unless you get off on kicking people all day, I think you should password this so you don't discourage newcomers to the mod.
chilledsanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2007, 01:59 PM   #39
Boogieman117
FF Server Op / Beta Tester

Send a message via ICQ to Boogieman117 Send a message via AIM to Boogieman117 Send a message via MSN to Boogieman117 Send a message via Yahoo to Boogieman117
Just have your members wear the tag, if you have impersonators wearing the tag that aren't legit, admin_slap/admin_freeze them around; they'll figure it out.

Personally, this mod is just starting to develop into a community; be flexible with your rules until the mod/your server becomes active 24/7.
Boogieman117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2007, 08:49 PM   #40
SME
Damn lazy bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilledsanity
I really think this isn't a good idea unless you password it. Otherwise people are going to come in not knowing "clan rules" because they're not something that obviously helps gameplay.

I got kicked from one of these because I was playing a pyro, I was running out of the respawn and immediately got attacked by the enemy team, so I burned them all and killed one of them, next thing I know somebody's spamming the chat that I was defending when I was supposed to be on offense and then boom, I'm kicked in under 3 minutes.
The rules are generally in the MOTD, I also use mani adverts to display the rules to all players and serve as fair warning. A lot of pubs use some clan style rules because it offers the game play the admins like and variety for players, locking the server doesn't make much sense for a pub. Nobody is forced to join a server they don't like. If you find yourself on a server you dislike, type quit and find one that you do like.

Did the rules say no defensive pyros or did you ignore the rules?

EDIT:
Also, you said you were kicked. Were you banned? Because, a kick is a warning. If you weren't banned you could have rejoined and learned the rules.

Last edited by SME; 10-09-2007 at 08:59 PM.