Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping > Maps

Old 06-15-2006, 07:59 AM   #161
o_etzell

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Lookin' mighty fine, I like the addition of more Combine stuff, it really brings the doors that I was iffy about together. Excellent work.
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2006, 06:45 PM   #162
o_voipme

Nezumi, looks gorgeous. Keep it up!
o_voipme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2006, 09:57 PM   #163
o_ohcanep

Spanking progress here. The indoor area doesn't look all that dark to me but meh . I like the idea of having a countdown indicator in the form of impending machinery right next to the CP itself. When the flag gets close I'd imagine it's gonna be tricky to exit that spawn room... I guess there's gonna be another exit somewhere?
o_ohcanep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2006, 11:11 PM   #164
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Reeelease?

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2006, 12:14 AM   #165
o_dark applepolisher

Map looks beautiful, but I'm very worried about the gameplay on cap 3. I can easily see a demoman piping the flag carrier all the way to the cap point. Hell even if it would take all 8 pipes.
o_dark applepolisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2006, 11:26 AM   #166
o_ohcanep

How would that differ from dustbowl exactly? And I bet it won't be impossible to lob some green things there to kill the demoman first or to simply get 'jumpers' in one after the other. It's all going to depend on how it plays in-game .

Old 06-26-2006, 07:21 AM   #167
o_racer

another great looking map, when FF come sout I bet this map and others not included in the mod will make for an awesome map pack.
o_racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2006, 08:22 AM   #168
o_donny

Imo you should chainge the rock texture. It just is not so desertish.
But then again I dont think texture work is complete in any ff community map.
o_donny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2006, 11:35 AM   #169
o_nezumi

Thanks Racer

And yea, donny, the rock texture is totally placeholder right now. I'm almost certainly going to use whatever sand/rock textures the FF team has for dustbowl (unless they use these ones which I don't like either). My hope is that they'll have a bunch of rock props with the same texture as their rock/sand blend texture. That would be very usefull for this map.

And progress continues on this map. I'm just taking a little hiatus right now but I'll be back at it soon.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2006, 04:41 PM   #170
o_stino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi
Thanks Racer

And yea, donny, the rock texture is totally placeholder right now. I'm almost certainly going to use whatever sand/rock textures the FF team has for dustbowl (unless they use these ones which I don't like either). My hope is that they'll have a bunch of rock props with the same texture as their rock/sand blend texture. That would be very usefull for this map.

And progress continues on this map. I'm just taking a little hiatus right now but I'll be back at it soon.
send the texture, and say wich props i have to cover with that texture and i'll do it :d (probably when i'm back home in august), i can work with 3dmax now
o_stino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2006, 08:43 PM   #171
o_dark applepolisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Applepolisher
Map looks beautiful, but I'm very worried about the gameplay on cap 3. I can easily see a demoman piping the flag carrier all the way to the cap point. Hell even if it would take all 8 pipes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohcanep
How would that differ from dustbowl exactly? And I bet it won't be impossible to lob some green things there to kill the demoman first or to simply get 'jumpers' in one after the other. It's all going to depend on how it plays in-game .
Keeping a demoman alive right at your spawn isn't hard, especially because if he dies, he respawns and gets back in position in less than 10 seconds. And even assuming the lobbed green things worked, the defense would run out of them pretty dang fast.

I can't think of a single dustbowl style map where you can do a jump from the gate to the cap. Now granted, there are plenty avanti style maps where you can do this, but these maps are balanced much differently. Am I right to assume this is a dustbowl style map, though?

I think a simple stopping measure to this super long jump buisness is to have a low ceiling near the gate. Maybe put it where it's low enough to prevent the cap, but high enough to allow players to jump halfway or so to the cap?

Old 06-28-2006, 09:14 PM   #172
o_ohcanep

Haha... I don't know if it was milk, cookies or something else that caused me to think that you mean it's too easy to lay pipe traps at CP3. You're right, it might seem a little too easy for attackers to jump all the way up there but Nez is likely to do something about it.

Old 06-29-2006, 12:55 AM   #173
o_nezumi

Getting the angle necessary to land directly on the cap point will be very very difficult. It's possible, but the pipes for the boost would have to be laid back in the easiest sniping target area. Also, the cap is under a bunch of rock overhang so it's unlikely that anyone who gets boosted up the cliff will make it past every defender and they'll have no backup because everyone else on their team has to run up the cliff.

The attackers can't even try this anyway untill they scour the defense out of the defensive structures above the elevator.

It's still is possible to do some sort of assisted jump all the way up though, I think.

Old 06-30-2006, 12:06 AM   #174
o_dark applepolisher

Sorry, I never did notice the cliff overhang. That would make the just right jump tons more difficult. Maybe make it overhang more if the jumpers are still too troublesome?

But also, keep in mind, in an organized team, a demoman could send 2-3 people at the same time, and laying a new set of pipes isn't that hard.

Old 06-30-2006, 04:40 AM   #175
o_nezumi

Yea, that's certainly true. Hopefully I'll get a chance to test this out with the FF ents and a bunch of people before I release it. This map in particular has a lot of stuff I'll probably need to tweak.

Old 06-30-2006, 06:30 AM   #176
o_gnyevko

My favorite part is the hallway with the fans that turn on and off when the doors open and close... oh, wait, there's no screenshots of that.
o_gnyevko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2006, 09:44 AM   #177
o_footlong

Fantastic looking map Nez, but I would like to point out a few things I noticed.

- The building in the first few ss had sooo many windows, perhaps you could tone it down just a little?

- All the buildings are the same boring gray, a little variation would look great! Along the same lines, the sand textures and the cliff textures from CP3 look the same everywhere as well.

- For CP3, I couldn't really get an accurate judgement on how big the hill was, but if it's small enough, on low grav servers, soldiers and meds would be able to get up there in a couple of rocket/conc jumps. Is there any way to keep this from happening?

- Have you arranged good, semi-protected spots for Def SG placement at the beginning of each round (while waiting for the gate to open/elevator to come up)?

All in all, I can't wait to get my hands on this map.
o_footlong is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2006, 02:09 AM   #178
o_dark applepolisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootLong
- For CP3, I couldn't really get an accurate judgement on how big the hill was, but if it's small enough, on low grav servers, soldiers and meds would be able to get up there in a couple of rocket/conc jumps. Is there any way to keep this from happening?
Pardon my French, but fuck low grav servers down into the ground.

Old 07-08-2006, 11:19 AM   #179
o_nezumi

Yo, footlong:

- Maybe

- Anything, especialy textures, as I say, are potentially placeholder. The sand/rock textures are going to be replaced with the dustbowl sand/rock.

- No.

- Yes. (to some extent anyway)

Progress continues. L337sk337 was just a hilarious interlude, don't worry.

Old 07-08-2006, 01:25 PM   #180
o_junglejuice

Map is looking really cool, seem like cap3 is gonna be a sweet demo jump
o_junglejuice is offline   Reply With Quote