Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 01-07-2007, 09:22 PM   #21
o_-=bingo-bango=-

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
ffs dont just shit on my wip and act as if youve done nothing wrong. Give some facts to support you're comments. And would it really hurt you to do something constructive such as suggestions?

And I do hope that you can tell the difference between fullbright or not, if you cant, you have no place saying anything about the lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by STA_SirTiger
For example, you just asked a very common sense question about the door. Think of it as real life dude...If you were to built that door in your house, how will you hide the things from the top? Well, you built a second floor on top to cover it (make sure you do some sexy geometry and think outside the box!)
Have you ever opend a garage door? they curve when they go up, I was asking if that was possible

Last edited by o_-=bingo-bango=-; 01-08-2007 at 07:57 PM.
o_-=bingo-bango=- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2007, 11:34 PM   #22
o_sta_sirtiger

I was referring the vomit light to the fullbright, and I most definitely what it is. You shouldn't really post fullbright pictures because it just looks really awful. I gave you some suggestions about textures, architecture, lighting, and to practice your skills. Insulting me for being constructive and honest is beyond my control, but, I just hope you get better at mapping.

About the door, how about you are more specific the first time so we understand you; we don't your _____ brain.
o_sta_sirtiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2007, 11:38 PM   #23
o_-=bingo-bango=-

its a wip what am I supposed to do light the whole map temporarily jsut to show progress?

And theres only so much I can do with architecture in small hallways like that

Old 01-07-2007, 11:41 PM   #24
o_sta_sirtiger

Here's what you are suppose to do: work on it until it is impressive or you'll just receive negative feedback on it, like you did. You can actually do a lot of things in small areas without affecting game play; I would suggest you look for some pictures to gain inspiration.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:45 AM   #25
o_beetle

feedback helps him change things. saying it sucks just doesn't.
o_beetle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2007, 02:50 AM   #26
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
I don't know how many different ways we can say "using diamond plate for everything is bad" "there isn't enough variation" and "the architecture is bland." Pretty much all worthwhile feedback has been given.

Please note there's a difference between feedback and holding his hand.

Old 01-08-2007, 03:15 AM   #27
o_-=bingo-bango=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
I don't know how many different ways we can say "using diamond plate for everything is bad" "there isn't enough variation" and "the architecture is bland."
I was so damn tempted to get literal with that statement, but I am restricting myself. Neways, I have taken tigers advice and attempted something completly new for the hallways, but unfortunatly I have 3 hmwrk assignments due 2moro, so I dont have time to compile/run, but Il do it first thing 2moro after skewl

Old 01-08-2007, 03:37 AM   #28
o_ma|2io

Homework is so easy. Thats why the internet was created DUH
o_ma|2io is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2007, 04:54 AM   #29
o_pigeons

People make the comment that all/most mappers dont finish their first map. I used to make test maps for Day of Defeat programmers to test out their entities before I actually tried to make a map (maps were normally just a room with the set entity in place). But I DID finish my first and only map. I love the fact that it DID make it into league-play as well.

I made 55 for Team Fortress Classic back in 2003. It made it into STA-5on5 and TFL-5v5 and I think UGC 2v2 for a temporary amount of time (so i'm told). STA\TFL still have the map listed, which is neato-skeato in my book.

The best thing to do to learn how to make decent architecture is look at the screen shots in the media section on this site or look for screen shots of some star wars corridors and try to recreate them. Add your own twist and style to each component and go with it. Create a hallway by mind and when its done and doesnt look right, scrap it and start over. After awhile you will start coming up with some snazzy stuff just by going off of screen shots that strike your fancy.

Good luck with it. Keep chuggin'

Last edited by o_pigeons; 01-08-2007 at 06:19 AM.
o_pigeons is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2007, 09:41 AM   #30
o_donny

Doesnt look too intresting. The hall pictures look non interesting, hardly worth a screenshot, but I have to rase the hat for you for not going to the flat wall thing, but it's still not good enough. Think of something new and intresting. Flat wall can be good if you break it with something. Look at Eat's uno and crossover and you'll know what I mean.

The lights also seem to go on the blue side giving it cold and dull feeling double that with blue wall textures and you have perfect mix for depressing map. I know, I come from finland, every winter is like that.

I think you will attack me now for telling you what's wrong with it, but if that's the road you'll choose then whatever.
o_donny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2007, 06:40 PM   #31
o_-=bingo-bango=-

I have redone halls on a seperate vmf, now I must transfer them to my map and Il post pics for feedback

Old 01-08-2007, 07:31 PM   #32
o_addicted to morphine

I know that it's tempting to immediately share any work you've done on a map, and oftentimes there isn't much to share except a few new rooms or one area. Personally, I find it best to just work steadily on your own, making considerable progress until you have something substantial to share. Sharing several days worth of work will make people want to help (and give them something to comment on) more than if you just share a few hours worth of effort.

When you post shots, take the time to compile them first. Even if all you have is a light_environment, at least the lighting will give a sense of depth to your level that is otherwise lost in the 3D view in Hammer.

As for the map itself, it seems too early to comment. I can't tell anything about the layout yet, and the architecture isn't really fully developed, and the lighting/texturing is basic. Once you make progress, I'll be happy to give you an in depth critique.
o_addicted to morphine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2007, 07:53 PM   #33
o_-=bingo-bango=-

in NO way a mean or etc. voice...

...is it truly necessary to repeat exactly what everyone else has said?

And y dose it always seem to b my maps that I post from the beginning that always get told that I shouldnt post until I have more?

Last edited by o_-=bingo-bango=-; 01-08-2007 at 08:02 PM.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:57 PM   #34
o_addicted to morphine

I'm just voicing my opinion so you'd know that it's not just one or two people who feel that you should put in more effort before sharing a WIP.

Well, I think you're catching flak because you're relatively less skilled (at the moment) then some others who have posted map threads starting from the beginning of a maps conception through till... well somewhere near the end.
o_addicted to morphine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2007, 10:09 PM   #35
o_sta_sirtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=BINGO-BANGO=-
in NO way a mean or etc. voice...

...is it truly necessary to repeat exactly what everyone else has said?

And y dose it always seem to b my maps that I post from the beginning that always get told that I shouldnt post until I have more?
Haha, let me spit on the grass before I start. It is most definitely necessary for people to keep on telling you the same things over and over. Why? So you get it in your head (something that I still think you haven't understand, another reason why the same topics should be restated). I don't understand why you would make a topic about your map (to receive feedback) and then act aggressive towards the truth: your map is awful right now and it needs A LOT OF WORK. Why does it always seem to be your maps? Well it is currently crap. We can tell you are not an experienced mapper (based on the screenshots, your attitude, and the questions you ask). Therefore, we want you to work hard (not hours or days, take some months of pure mapping)! All we really want is the best possible maps for the future of FF, not something no one is going to play. We all wish you luck and we hope that you listen to what has been repeated several times.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:43 AM   #36
o_racer

Bingo your map has lots of potential, good job so far. You can always play with textures and lighting. Im sure 2fort is not ground breaking layout it just plays well. I actually dont like the choke points on 2fort but glad they are there since i used to play D when i played TFC.

Cant wait to see more pics of the map and the yard.
o_racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2007, 07:56 PM   #37
o_-=bingo-bango=-

thnx racer. But for now Ive been mapping for 2 weeks instead of playing. Ive even missed a mod release, "Pirates, Viking, Knights 2" which is a VERY good mod to b honest, I highly suggest it. But anyways, Im abandoning this map temporarily, BUT I STILL WANT TO USE THIS NAME, because I realize that I need to spend just as much time playing as working.

Old 01-14-2007, 08:22 PM   #38
o_ihmhi

It looks okay Bingo-Bango. It definitely needs some improvement but do not worry about polishing it or anything. Finish modelling first and get a playtest going.

I have made maps in other games before; I can tell you that even with the whole thing on the screen in front of you, the best way to figure out what needs to be done is a one man playtest.

Run around in the map a bit and find out what you do not like or what should be changed, then do it. A pad and pen is helpful.

And as for SirTiger, he is dancing on the fine line between asshattery and constructive criticism.
o_ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2007, 08:42 PM   #39
o_-=bingo-bango=-

me and STA_SirTiger have worked out our probles, and thnx, once I finish my midair I will go back to my first map ff_bingobango, then this map

Old 01-15-2007, 02:35 AM   #40
o_tyrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
And as for SirTiger, he is dancing on the fine line between asshattery and constructive criticism.

What fine line? I thought his post was complete asshattery. There is constructive criticism and then there is being a dick. You decide which he was.

I agree that the map looks a little plain, but better projects will come out of finishing this one.

When I look back at my first map, of which I actually released and had it played in a league or two for ETF, I'm completely embarrassed. It really totally reeks ass. I later remade the map, but never finished the remake. However, that remake was 1000x better in the architecture department. er, actually, 1,000,000,000 times better. I was so much more satisfied with it. I would have never made that far if I hadn't learned on my first map.

I never finished my remake because I hated texturing. I wish I could have just passed the map on to someone else and let them texture it.

Anyways, the point of saying all that is, use this map as a learning experience and keep moving forward!
o_tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote