Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 05-14-2014, 02:38 PM   #41
ddm999
worst ff player eu

Class/Position: o - no, d - scout
Gametype: IvDZ
Posts Rated Helpful 18 Times
Well, we are all lazy bastards who don't really have want to dedicate the majority of our spare time for 6 weeks mapping, especially when it coincides with the exam period (prolly affects just me, cause im like 2 years old)...

I feel like the only real mapping contest that would work in FF would be that people nominate and prize money is awarded to the best map made in that year. Then you could show it off in your signature and whatever, and then ricey could make a cool website where you can show your awards off 8 years later.

Getting an FF map right tends to be a rare thing, what with all the things you can do wrong and the fact it's SSDK '06, meaning Hammer has a tendency to crash for dumb reasons so you lose a couple of hours of work, and your morale for using Hammer drops greatly for the next day or two, so you don't want to make a map.

Even though some people WILL be working on maps, they'll have only made about 3-6 concepts, which is nowhere near the 100 you need before a good map is actually made. ;P
User received an infraction for this post

Old 05-14-2014, 03:27 PM   #42
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: CTF 9v9
Affiliations: .gr , smr
Posts Rated Helpful 46 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm999 View Post
I feel like the only real mapping contest that would work in FF would be that people nominate and prize money is awarded to the best map made in that year. Then you could show it off in your signature and whatever, and then ricey could make a cool website where you can show your awards off 8 years later.
Oh you mean the FF Site which is finished, marked up and ready to launch but is being withheld as it wouldn't help nearly as much as it would when a huge update happens? Or when put onto the Steam store?

Quote:
Even though some people WILL be working on maps, they'll have only made about 3-6 concepts, which is nowhere near the 100 you need before a good map is actually made. ;P
What are you talking about? That is just called being a bad designer, and not understanding the basics.

Quote:
Getting an FF map right tends to be a rare thing, what with all the things you can do wrong and the fact it's SSDK '06, meaning Hammer has a tendency to crash for dumb reasons so you lose a couple of hours of work, and your morale for using Hammer drops greatly for the next day or two, so you don't want to make a map.
Do you know what the save button is? Hammer/Worldcraft has always been a turd and has also randomly crashed. This is nothing new.

The whole reasoning behind a 'Map Battle' is to test your skills, not make the best playable, super fabulous, insert more witty shit here as long as you want map ever . Most battles the maps aren't even playable. - http://www.interlopers.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=12.

Stop whining about shit and just make what ever comes to you, if it sucks, it sucks. Either way you have gotten better and what you are doing and learn from your mistakes. Whiny bitch.

Quote:
Gonna go out on a limb here and say this isn't happening. - Homie WORST D3 PLAYA EVAH
Yea, I highly doubt this will happen, could of told you that from the start. He hasn't signed on since 4/20.
ricecakes: I demand SGs get a buff
squeek.: buy it a gym membership

'I have an eye for design' - Kube 2014
Ricey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2014, 03:47 PM   #43
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Obviously DDM is a bit of a twat, didn't deserve an infraction for his post ricey you cunt.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:52 PM   #44
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
I hit the save button what seems like every 10 seconds while mapping. Maybe I'm OCD, but I've had hammer crash on me more than a few times and there's no way I'm going to redo work just because I forgot to save. I've seen wubba around in the servers lately. Are there still the minimum mappers for your contest wubba?
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2014, 03:58 PM   #45
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

I press ctrl+s every 5 god damn seconds when I'm working on something, hell hammer has auto save as well. You can set it to save every 10 minutes max 100 files if you really wanted to. Most programs work like this nowadays, so it's a horrible accuse.

I love you too, FDA.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:40 PM   #46
ddm999
worst ff player eu

Class/Position: o - no, d - scout
Gametype: IvDZ
Posts Rated Helpful 18 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricey View Post
Oh you mean the FF Site which is finished, marked up and ready to launch but is being withheld as it wouldn't help nearly as much as it would when a huge update happens? Or when put onto the Steam store?
Which I wouldn't have commented on if there was anything about this being even anywhere near completion anywhere on the internet that I know of. Didn't mean it as a personal insult to you, but was kinda joking about how the last time you posted on the thread about it was about 2+ years ago, and I've never heard of it mentioned at all since. I also feel that it would help currently, because it's not like the new people will go "oh look they've changed their site for the update" when they've never even looked at the site before in the first place. :P

I even bolded it to show it was sarcastic. Kinda sucks that I never really noticed that it wasn't as obvious that it was sarcasm, and actually does make it look more like it's specifically aimed to annoy you, but sorry. Hard to convey sarcasm over the internet short of just using *sarcasm*, which I feel is just overused, and also kinda ruins the sarcasm IMO. ( and im a hipster yeah )

Quote:
What are you talking about? That is just called being a bad designer, and not understanding the basics.
I have used Hammer for over 6 years. Sure, I've not used it for the longest, but I've basically refined what I do to the point where I almost never open any menus because I know all the shortcuts. It also means I can tear through map designs compared to other people. Although that's also probably due to the quality of the maps being a lot worse.

IMO FF is one of the hardest games I know of to map for. Scaling, and all that stuff I always rant about because I'm a twat and I never learn.
It's probably just because I feel that I should make one of these great fcking maps like SD2 or something and then it's a piece of shit and I get pissed.

Quote:
Do you know what the save button is? Hammer/Worldcraft has always been a turd and has also randomly crashed. This is nothing new.
Basically never remember to use it though. :P

Quote:
The whole reasoning behind a 'Map Battle' is to test your skills, not make the best playable, super fabulous, insert more witty shit here as long as you want map ever . Most battles the maps aren't even playable. - http://www.interlopers.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=12.
Not only have I never even taken part in a map battle prior to taking part in some ShootMania map battle ( I came like 5th out of 8, what do you expect, I was playing in the Closed BETA mode - you could play just two modes for free if you took part in the beta - where I can't even play the mode I made the map for xD ), I always thought that the point of any Map Battle was not just to test your skills, but also to make the best playing map you could and to inspire competition in the community, leading to multiple great maps because they're in direct competition and the makers want them to be better than the rest and stand out, etc.

Quote:
Stop whining about shit and just make what ever comes to you, if it sucks, it sucks. Either way you have gotten better and what you are doing and learn from your mistakes. Whiny bitch.
Yeah, I am a whiny bitch. I'm pretty sure that post wasn't one of my whiniest though. :P
Still, I have to at least hope I'll make a good map or I'll never even try.

Quote:
I press ctrl+s every 5 god damn seconds when I'm working on something, hell hammer has auto save as well. You can set it to save every 10 minutes max 100 files if you really wanted to. Most programs work like this nowadays, so it's a horrible accuse.
Also, the autosave just annoys me because it'll save about 5 minutes ago while I'm halfway through something and if I go back to that, I have no idea what is and isn't done compared to what I had done previously. I also barely notice or remember the differences, and it'll end up happening that when I finish the alpha of the map and test it, there's some massive problem caused by something that wasn't in the autosave that takes way longer than it should to fix. :P
Anyway, the crashing and whatever wasn't really the main point of what I said. It was that I kinda don't really have a lot of time. Of course, I generalised like a noob and said 'people' rather than 'me', but. Yeah.

Yeah, my fault, sorry, I won't moan anymore about mapping because it's generally just me being terrible. ;p

Old 05-14-2014, 04:49 PM   #47
NeonLight
NeoNL
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier, Medic
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: +M|M+ -RS
Posts Rated Helpful 170 Times

Last edited by NeonLight; 05-14-2014 at 04:49 PM.
NeonLight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2014, 05:33 PM   #48
XPelargos
I like to spam binds
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scoooooot
Posts Rated Helpful 73 Times
<3 ricey, I do wish I were gay sometimes, but dayummm women just smell right, you know?

*Largos will receive an infraction for this post.
User received a warning for this post
XPelargos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2014, 08:29 PM   #49
homie in reboks'

Class/Position: Soldier & Medic
Affiliations: ( ir :: ) iv| K^ †
Posts Rated Helpful 80 Times
Largos receiving a warning...game is definitely dead

Last edited by homie in reboks'; 05-14-2014 at 08:29 PM.
homie in reboks' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2014, 09:10 PM   #50
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by homie in reboks' View Post
Largos receiving a warning...game is definitely dead
He did ask for infraction, but I'm a cunt so I gave him a warning instead.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:12 PM   #51
the_cake
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 144 Times
Pretty sure playability was one of the intentions here, not some waste of time attempt at a "mapping skillz" contest.
the_cake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2014, 10:08 PM   #52
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_cake View Post
Pretty sure playability was one of the intentions here, not some waste of time attempt at a "mapping skillz" contest.
True dat.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:42 AM   #53
aleXtric
#FF.Pickup Dictator
Beta Tester

Gametype: ADL
Affiliations: KiNGz .
Posts Rated Helpful 100 Times
ricey so mad

ddm so bad

map competition so sad

http://www.ffpickup.com/?p=irc
aleXtric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2014, 12:47 AM   #54
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
guys please stop. I already made fun of Ricey for it years ago
9:17 PM - DEXTER: can you teach me how to play o
9:17 PM - squeek.: you jump a lot
9:18 PM - squeek.: and do sweet moves

8:55 PM - FDA: fart in you fridge and blame it on wild animals
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2014, 01:32 AM   #55
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
guys please stop. I already made fun of Ricey for it years ago
For being a shithead?
User received an infraction for this post

Old 05-15-2014, 01:33 AM   #56
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Hey Dexter that reminds me, where's the new "Installing Hammer for Fortress Forever for Dummies" thread you were going to create? :P
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete

Last edited by KubeDawg; 05-15-2014 at 01:33 AM.
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2014, 01:51 AM   #57
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

http://forums.fortress-forever.com/s...5&postcount=12

Old 05-15-2014, 03:05 AM   #58
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
oh yea phew
9:17 PM - DEXTER: can you teach me how to play o
9:17 PM - squeek.: you jump a lot
9:18 PM - squeek.: and do sweet moves

8:55 PM - FDA: fart in you fridge and blame it on wild animals
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:19 AM   #59
oaties

Posts Rated Helpful 38 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricey View Post
Yea, I highly doubt this will happen, could of told you that from the start. He hasn't signed on since 4/20.
Holy shit, I didn't know you could overdose

On topic, mapping contests are dumb and will only bring bad maps. When I make maps for FF, I do it out of love of the game. I don't care about money, my only incentive is "I can't wait to play this map in a game!". This also leads to trying to create new, unique designs and flagrooms etc.

When FF can't even maintain daily pickups, why bother making maps? They wouldn't even get played anyways. Maybe when its released on steam there might be a bigger incentive.
oaties is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2014, 07:02 PM   #60
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaties View Post
Holy shit, I didn't know you could overdose

On topic, mapping contests are dumb and will only bring bad maps. When I make maps for FF, I do it out of love of the game. I don't care about money, my only incentive is "I can't wait to play this map in a game!". This also leads to trying to create new, unique designs and flagrooms etc.
The point was to have something fun for mappers, and bring new maps for the players. For both pickups and pubs. I don't see how you can say that a contest can only bring bad maps. I also don't see how the added incentive of money means you can't apply creativity or passion to your map. Seems like a very prudish stance to take.