Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > Tips and Tutorials

Old 10-15-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
honorableJay

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Trimp + Double Jump from ramps

I've been goofing off with doing trimping on ff_well, and I noticed something that I'm not sure is a bug in the way the map was made or if it was done intentionally. Basically, if I hit over 600ups as scout and hit the ramp room ramps too close to the bottom, the game ignores my jump and instead has me slide halfway up the ramp before it registers another jump. Mind you, this is using the newer jump method (cl_jumpqueue 0) so it shouldn't be ignoring the jump.

From what I can tell, the bottom of these ramps are slightly curved and it seems to be interfering with the way the game handles moving up inclines. Hitting the spot at the very bottom before it slopes up, going from past experience, should just have me do a normal jump then immediately do a double jump + trimp and get boosted to the attic (since the second jump will hit the actual incline and not the curved bottom).

Here's a demo showing the problem I'm having. I've found that holding duck while bhopping, then releasing it right before the double jump gives me the boost I'm looking for more consistently, but I still run into spots where I'll slide halfway up the ramp and lose my speed. The game is also ignoring the fact that I've released duck when this happens (which causes me to suddenly stand up at the halfway point and do a normal jump). Try to ignore the stuttering of the demo since it was recorded on a listen server (I haven't figured out how to run a dedicated server and a client from the same machine, not as easy as quake3).

1) Can double jumps be stacked with trimps for more height?
2) Were those ramps designed with the curves specifically to make it harder for scouts/medics to get up to the attic?
3) How much does the server's framerate affect this problem?
honorableJay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2009, 09:59 PM   #2
RnZ
D&A Member

Class/Position: I like them all (except snipers :P)
Affiliations: [TW]
ye i got the same thing sometimes not only in ff_well, also on other ramps
i think its the angle of how you hit the ramp that makes you slide

Last edited by RnZ; 10-15-2009 at 10:06 PM.
RnZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2009, 12:36 AM   #3
honorableJay

If that's the case, what is the proper angle to hit the ramp at? Straight on, downward angle, upward angle? It never seems to react the same way twice. mashing the jump key does seem to make it work more than just holding it, so that leads me to believe it's something to ensure proper rampsliding maybe?

I should be able to do this jump just by trimping off of one ramp (going down) then double jumping off the other one, but even that doesn't always work. I hit that other ramp and just start sliding again.

Last edited by honorableJay; 10-16-2009 at 12:38 AM.
honorableJay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2009, 09:38 PM   #4
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
From doing zE's djump maps, this "problem" existed before any changes from the newest patch. I could do the same jump 10 times on a ramp and all of a sudden on the 11th jump it'll go off properly.

Now the way I tend to have a bit more success is sorta difficult to explain (even when i'm there showing a guy on a djump map).

But what I do, is on my last jump before I hit the incline, while i'm in the air before I land on the incline I turn parallel with the ramp, then just before I land on the incline I quickly turn into it, not straight 90 degrees into it though. The angle I choose is based more off of "intuition" based on the steepness of the ramp. It can be anywhere from 15 degrees, to 80. But I'll rarely djump off of any ramp straight on
Hammock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2009, 10:00 PM   #5
Hawk Eye
Who the fuck is this guy?
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O Preferred
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: [AE] Asseaters
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
I'd have to record a demo of myself doing one of the djump/trimp maps and study it to be able to say anything. It's all automatic mentally for me.
Hawk Eye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
raum
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
*zE should prepare some trimping avi*
raum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2009, 10:45 PM   #7
zE
Pew pew ze beams

Gametype: Gathers
Affiliations: pew pew
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Eye View Post
I'd have to record a demo of myself doing one of the djump/trimp maps and study it to be able to say anything. It's all automatic mentally for me.
same here

honorableJay you can do that jump with 580 speed, and you are right if the ramps are slightly curved they mess up the double jump thing, you will slide a lot of times instead of trimping them, but this hapened in other patches too, if u jump from the ramp begining to the ramp midle it will make u slide most likely, you need to be sure u are jumping from ground to ramp. But nevertheless those curvy ramps are tricky, they will make u slide a lot of times, look at one djump_lsdz_b1 i used a lot of curvy ramps there, and you will slide a lot of times instead of trimping them <.
Btw nice way of gaining speed on those litle ramps near the ground, didnt knew it ; D, gonna start to use those too to boost me

Last edited by zE; 11-22-2009 at 10:57 PM.
zE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2010, 01:35 PM   #8
Lynus
I like Ceyx
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Send a message via AIM to Lynus
I think I have the same issue you're talking about once in a while... especially on ff_openfire when I'm going a bit slower, i hit the water ramp and try to djump to the battlements, but get stuck and just rampslide into the top and bounce up like an idiot.

Also, exo's map ff_schrape has a ramp issue on the opening ramp out of the base, you can't always rampslide it, unless you hit it straight on... wonder if these are related.
Lynus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2010, 12:11 AM   #9
oaties

Posts Rated Helpful 38 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynus View Post
I think I have the same issue you're talking about once in a while... especially on ff_openfire when I'm going a bit slower, i hit the water ramp and try to djump to the battlements, but get stuck and just rampslide into the top and bounce up like an idiot.

Also, exo's map ff_schrape has a ramp issue on the opening ramp out of the base, you can't always rampslide it, unless you hit it straight on... wonder if these are related.
You do realise this thread is over 8 months old right?
oaties is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2010, 01:27 AM   #10
Raynian
D&A Member

Class/Position: SPAWN CAMPING OH NO
Gametype: Ragequitting
Affiliations: [PMS]. [Shiney]
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaties View Post
You do realise this thread is over 8 months old right?
You do realise his reply is over 5 months old right?
7:00 PM - zE: eh tbh i like some stuff in us but a lot of stuff in us messes with my nerves
7:00 PM - zE: like watching fox news
7:00 PM - zE: its like wtf
Raynian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2010, 02:28 AM   #11
oaties

Posts Rated Helpful 38 Times
(Fuck I hoped no one would catch on..)

Do you know that these forums are slow, and in a fit of high/drunkeness I assumed something on the first page = recent? D:
oaties is offline   Reply With Quote