Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 11-06-2006, 06:12 PM   #1
o_deadly furby

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
EA tries to clone Steam, but fails miserably

Flat out broken, but still has privacy problems
By: Charlie Demerjian, Monday 06 November 2006, 10:10

It looks like EA is trying to pull a Valve and clone Steam. While it sounds like a good thing, the current iteration is so buggy that it just doesn't work, and the EULAs are scary. I would heartily recommend avoiding it until they get it working and respect privacy. That said, it is a good idea, and has some nice touches, where it works.

The service is called EA Link, a newer version of the EA Downloader. If you are a fan of frustration, you can get the 12MB installer here, but like I said, wait a bit, V2.0 is where you probably want to start. The point of it is to allow you to purchase, download and install games without leaving the comfort of your couch, the great American way.

The first problem came when I tried to install it. It wasn't exactly quick on the A64/3000 machine I am testing this on, and with every newly opened window, it lost about 90 per cent of the little speed it had. When it indicated I didn't have enough space on my C drive for the cache, I hit browse and waited, and waited, and waited. Eventually, the browser window came up, and I typed in the path D:\EA\cache, and waited and waited and waited. Eventually, I gave up and hit cancel. Five minutes later, I had to kill the task, it was stuck. Reinstalling had the same effect.

After a reboot it installed correctly but was just glacially slow. It should not take the better part of a minute to pick a directory. In any case, it went in, and nothing truly horrible happened. So far so slightly below average.

During this process it popped up a EULA. Seeing ass I am already in pain after a weekend accident that left me without large portions of my skin, I decided to read it. The pain wasn't much worse than sliding across a sidewalk on your face, and I didn't see anything truly objectionable. I am not a lawyer, so don't take this as a definitive all clear, but there isn't anything obvious about souls, puppy strangling and chunks of flesh.

Back to the program. The initial screen was about what you would expect, lots of things to buy, and an options menu on the left. The trailers were the first thing I checked, and that is where I encountered my first problem, if you click on a .wmv, it downloads it, .qt, it opens IE to a blank page. First problem, it opens IE forcibly, never mind that all my browser preferences are Firefox. Then it gives a blank white page and hangs. So far, 0 for 2.

The things that did work came down at a good clip, but the low rez clips looked terrible on a 1600*1200 screen, if that is what I was going to base my purchase on, well, I would look elsewhere. The one high rez clip they had was in Quicktime, and it looked awfully white. And it hung. Whoopee!

I clicked on the My Stuff option, and was presented with My Games, Demos and Wallpapers, all of which needed an account. In a fit of masochistic pique I decided to try it, mainly to see how much personal info they required.

To EAs credit, it asked for nothing more than a username, password and email address, so well done there. They had the usual 'type in a number for verification' before you can continue, but this is where the showstopper problem hit, it looked like this.

Try as I might, I could not get it to work, so there went any chance of me signing up for it to report on. Ah well, win some lose some. To bide my time, I read the second EULA they presented, and this one is much darker and less user friendly than the last. I got about a third into it before I decided that the terms were unacceptable, basically they could use my personal info and share it around.

Unless there is a clear, 100 per cent ironclad policy option to have your info completely kept private, I won't sign up for a service. There was none that I could see, but a lot of weasel words about how they could do it even if you asked them not to. One good opt-out is that if you are under 18 years old, they have to keep it private, so I would recommend that you claim to be about 10 years old on signup.

Overall, the EA Link idea is a good one, but for now, it simply doesn't work. If they can't make the basic functionality work right, you have to wonder about them keeping your credit card safe. If that hurdle is overcome, then there is the privacy issue(s) which are another dealbreaker for me. I find this sad, mainly because I like Steam so much, and this has a really good chance of cloning that magic. Ah well, maybe in six months when they get it closer to right and realise that some of us don't like intrusive advertisers.
o_deadly furby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2006, 06:15 PM   #2
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
cool, that means i can avoid all of their games in one neat package.
A+++++++

Old 11-06-2006, 06:17 PM   #3
o_uber

Funny.. and scary at the same time.
o_uber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2006, 07:50 PM   #4
o_dancingfool

Fuck EA. I don't even give a shit, fuck EA.
o_dancingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2006, 07:51 PM   #5
o_zsilver_fox

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Seriously, were you actually surprised by how horribly it ran?
o_zsilver_fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2006, 07:54 PM   #6
o_geokill----->

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
The Program new eh....?

*Runs off to Warez forums to get the games for free until fix by EA but knowing them hahah that won't happen.
o_geokill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2006, 08:28 PM   #7
o_sh4x

Shut up guys, stop disrespecting EA. These guys are clearly in the business because they love games. They don't care much about money, they just wanna make good games and I respect that. That's why I would NEVER warez their games.

Anyways, I downloaded NFS10 and was shocked to see that it was almost the same shit as NFS9, I'm deleting this mf, just gotta finish seeding.
o_sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2006, 08:38 PM   #8
o_dancingfool

lol, for a second I actually thought you were serious.
o_dancingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2006, 08:40 PM   #9
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

I'm not surprised at all. EA is a cancer in the gaming industry. It's a pity that craftsmanship in game development is stifled by them.
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2006, 08:44 PM   #10
o_zsilver_fox

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4x
Shut up guys, stop disrespecting EA. These guys are clearly in the business because they love games. They don't care much about money, they just wanna make good games and I respect that. That's why I would NEVER warez their games.

Anyways, I downloaded NFS10 and was shocked to see that it was almost the same shit as NFS9, I'm deleting this mf, just gotta finish seeding.
You get a cookie for best joke post ever .
o_zsilver_fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2006, 02:44 AM   #11
o_nuk3m

EA practically swallowed up all the gaming companies, to water down competition, then released a load of buggy software.

EA kind of reminds me of OPEC
o_nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2006, 03:54 AM   #12
o_psycnet

Seeing as I'm not a pussy evangelist/treehugger/mamas boy/protester I went and bought BF2142 *Gasp* through EA Link last week...

It fucked up a whole lot...

But I remember Steam fucking blew hairy ballsack for the first year or more that it was released.

EA = Valve = Ubi = Everyone Else
o_psycnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2006, 09:00 AM   #13
o_sobe green

Heh you go ahead and buy games through EA Link. Just remember EA has a long history of stopping support for its games after a year sometimes not even that. Rarely they'll support something for two years but that is pushing it. This is of course unless its a Sims game and then to cover up the fact they quit supporting the game they'll release addons so your girlfriend will give you something else to buy her but she'll eventually leave you anyway so its pointless.
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2006, 09:26 AM   #14
o_zydell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4x

You get some hot chocolat and cake plus an exclusive invitation to the yellow team for making me laugh
o_zydell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2006, 01:52 PM   #15
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukem373
EA practically swallowed up all the gaming companies, to water down competition, then released a load of buggy software.

EA kind of reminds me of OPEC
Resistance is futile...you will be assimilated...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe Green
Heh you go ahead and buy games through EA Link. Just remember EA has a long history of stopping support for its games after a year sometimes not even that. Rarely they'll support something for two years but that is pushing it. This is of course unless its a Sims game and then to cover up the fact they quit supporting the game they'll release addons so your girlfriend will give you something else to buy her but she'll eventually leave you anyway so its pointless.
Ok, someone's working through some relationship issues...If I get to follow you in the insult thread I'll have some advice for you...

Completely agree on the support issue with EA...some games I absolutely loved were left that way...like Zero Hour...
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2006, 01:52 PM   #16
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT
Seeing as I'm not a pussy evangelist/treehugger/mamas boy/protester I went and bought BF2142 *Gasp* through EA Link last week...

It fucked up a whole lot...

But I remember Steam fucking blew hairy ballsack for the first year or more that it was released.

EA = Valve = Ubi = Everyone Else
so that makes you stupid/retarded/dumb/unaware/careless/thoughtless?

Old 11-07-2006, 02:22 PM   #17
o_sizeablessonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mervaka
cool, that means i can avoid all of their games in one neat package.
A+++++++
Indeed.
o_sizeablessonic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2006, 03:46 PM   #18
o_sobe green

Quote:
Originally Posted by |404|Innoc-TPF-
Resistance is futile...you will be assimilated...

Ok, someone's working through some relationship issues...If I get to follow you in the insult thread I'll have some advice for you...

Completely agree on the support issue with EA...some games I absolutely loved were left that way...like Zero Hour...
Haha nah I was just trying to be creative or slightly funny...well some of it might be kind of true but thats a story for another day.
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote