Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Yeah its Sunday, match night, practice etc...

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2009, 02:48 PM   #22
xks
Exceedingly Correct.

Class/Position: Variable
Gametype: QuakeLive CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoXideAtWork View Post
I <3 xks
eek.
xks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2009, 04:43 PM   #23
illogicality-
pwning CTF since 1999

Class/Position: Yes
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [ gr. ], UGC-FF
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge
Get over yourself. Our? This is as much >my< forum as it is >yours<. Just stop existing for a while, please.
Definition of 'our': belonging to us; of us

Us is inclusive of you and I... which is why I so plainly put 'our'. Had I put 'my forum' what you said would have been correct. To avoid appearing any less intelligent than you already do, please look over what you write before you post it...

Sorry Admins, I'll stop now <3 skankeh

Last edited by illogicality-; 02-10-2009 at 04:49 PM.
illogicality- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2009, 08:01 AM   #24
battery
D&A Member

The answer to this question is simple. Pub games are boring. The way pubbers play FF and TFC is nothing more than a Quake death match. Flags lying right in the middle of the yard are sometimes ignored for the sake of more deathmatching. Pub games are boring, which is why more and more of the play base is moving on to clan matches.

Trust me. Once you are into clan matches, you will see things from a different angle.

"Why the hell is this low-ping server wasted on pub?"
________
XXX FREE STREAM

Last edited by battery; 03-31-2011 at 12:09 PM.
battery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2009, 12:56 PM   #25
~kev~
pmagnvs

Class/Position: Engineer - D
Gametype: Free for all CTF - no stupid clan rules
Quote:
Originally Posted by battery View Post
"Why the hell is this low-ping server wasted on pub?"
I stopped playing in clans around 9 years ago. And I consider myself a good team player.
~kev~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #26
R22B

Class/Position: Sniper / Defensive
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kev~ View Post
I stopped playing in clans around 9 years ago. And I consider myself a good team player.
I used to do the clan thing in TFC, but quite frankly, I just got tired of it. I didn’t have enough time to really get “great” at it. With FF, I think I’m decent in some classes, but I’d say 50% of the players in FF are better than I am. I play a lot, but I don’t play to increase my playing level. I’m horrible at sniping. I can’t conc. I can semi bunny hop. Most importantly, I suck at offense.

I’ll get more enjoyment out of sitting at the flag room at an enemy base watching a group of 3 people go crazy looking for me than sabbin’ a sentry. I’ll get more enjoying shooting the boats around in Aardvark than actually playing the map.

I’ll get more enjoying pipe jumping in Palmero rather than actually playing the map (although, I do enjoy playing offense on the map.) Heck, I’ll spend an entire 45 minutes in the skybox on the one map just because I like it tharrrrrrrrrrr.

For me, there are three levels of players in FF: Fun – Pub – GODLIKE. The godlike players are just too good to play in pubs, they find the game easy. Pubbers are happy with their skill level and enjoy the game for what it is. They might play conc maps or trimp maps but for the most part, they hardly increase their skill level. Fun players just play the game for what it is because they find it fun.
R22B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2009, 05:33 PM   #27
illogicality-
pwning CTF since 1999

Class/Position: Yes
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [ gr. ], UGC-FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by battery View Post
The answer to this question is simple. Pub games are boring. The way pubbers play FF and TFC is nothing more than a Quake death match. Flags lying right in the middle of the yard are sometimes ignored for the sake of more deathmatching. Pub games are boring, which is why more and more of the play base is moving on to clan matches.

Trust me. Once you are into clan matches, you will see things from a different angle.
TFC was like this at one point, too. Pubbing can be fun if you get 2 people on a team who actually defend or play offense. At very least you can practice various conc jumps, trimps or fundamental skills which can help improve your match gameplay.

Bottom line - it's nothing against the new players.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:16 AM   #28
xks
Exceedingly Correct.

Class/Position: Variable
Gametype: QuakeLive CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Most public servers these days have 3-4 'skilled' players who will pick 'proper' classes and go for caps/protect the flag (although they aren't always evenly split between the teams).

In addition to those players you have others of decent skill who are capable of being D but less likely to be a useful O. You also have relatively new players who are still discovering the abilities of each class and tend to get sidetracked from objectives when they are shot at. This is what most of the yard DM ends up being, good player crosses yard to try and capture flag, good player throws a shotgun shot or two at relatively new player making his way to enemy base, new player gets distracted from his mission and attempts to hunt down the good player. This often happens with more than just two people, add a sniper or two on each side into the mix and you have an awful lot of action concentrated on the yard area. Since FF has instant respawns those that die in the yard run back there right away to exact revenge on their assailants and the whole process continues.

There is really very little you can do about it so long as people have minds of their own and no real incentive to care relentlessly about the status of your flag or how to capture the enemies.

When we play organised competetive matches the mindset is completely different. You subconsciously know that your score doesn't matter and all you want to do is prevent the enemy from scoring in the best way you can, or capture the enemy flag as many times as you can. You work together as a team to achieve this goal and the pay off is the victory at the end. You can look at the scores and be satisfied since you know exactly why things ended up the way they did.

Learning tactics and team oriented play in a fortress game is about the hardest thing that is expected of any new player. Most of them will be struggling to achieve regular kills with their chosen class and the last thing on their mind is saving the flag at all costs.
xks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2009, 12:38 AM   #29
Soup

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocKwell View Post
In TFC

CTF - Pickups, Odin's Graveyard
AvD / Skill Maps - Pubs

In FF

CTF - Pickups
AvD / Skill Maps - Pubs, Partial's P.P.P
On this note, I think it would be cool if someone had a server like Odin's for ff. I think if you advertised on here and irc you may get good turnout.
As far as having it over run with noobs we could try to have an admin in there atleast at the begining to kick ppl that don`t understand competitive play. Of course explaining to them first how the server runs
I know this is kind of harsh to the new ppl but I think in a since it would help newer ppl understand a different way of playing and give the competetive players a fun place to play. Just a thought.....
Soup is offline   Reply With Quote