Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 03-27-2005, 01:48 AM   #1
o_blackhand

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I am not the author of the original run, it was done by taZer whom I have unsuccessfully tried to contact.
o_blackhand is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2005, 05:37 AM   #2
o_valk

if he rages just change the name
jog
o_valk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2005, 09:59 AM   #3
o_koochy

Updated :>

Um, I haven't played Run before so I don't know what type of map it is :< I just put it under Other! Hope thats right? :D
o_koochy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2005, 05:54 PM   #4
o_nomak

In the past 3 days ive been trying to make different types of maps. I tried making a fun style map like "smallfort" but that didnt go so well. I then tried making a "badlands" style map that would be called "Intervene" but I couldnt quite get the brushwork just right so i gave up on that. I then tried making a 2fort style map like that "fortresseurope" map but changed it around and i think i will be making a map like that from now on. It will be a ctf style map. I think i will use the name "Intervine". Koochy if you can place this in the community based maps that would be really nice. I think im sticking to simple maps as of now.
o_nomak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2005, 10:49 PM   #5
o_nomak

Koochy i have two pics for you from my new map Intervene. Its a ctf style map. I just have the basic stuff layed out. None of the cielings have been put on yet which is why the outdoor light gets in.

This is the platform that will bring you up to the sniping spot.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...eplatform1.jpg

This is the spawn room, there are two of these in each base.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...spawnroom1.jpg

Old 03-28-2005, 10:51 PM   #6
o_shadow34721

Update and pics for congestus.
o_shadow34721 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2005, 03:48 AM   #7
o_kam

Some original projects im working on...

kamfort - www.clantnt.org/kam/ff/kamfort/

85 screenies from every build so far i think, so the last dozen are the latest. Put it on hold to get more experience with displacements for the yard walls. schtop, sd2, opf influences. Might redo fr some time.

airbase - www.clantnt.org/kam/ff/airbase/

Started making this recently. Might be name change at some stage. Tribesish, suspended platforms. Might have 4 teams and another separate platform/base for resup or sec etc. the cable enclosed in glass at the bottom will be detpackable to disable the the glass parts at the top (to be replaced with beams or something) for another entrance. Engy can repair it. Flag will be in the cage thing at the top with a bounce pad or something used to grab it. Influences from xpress3 and highflag.

Both are pretty early in development cos I haven't settled on the layout yet. Using dev textures and lighting is just there so it isnt pitch black atm
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2005, 04:08 AM   #8
o_osiris

Im lovin the first map so far!
o_osiris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2005, 04:34 AM   #9
o_koochy

All done. Looking kick ass as always kam babe :>

Nomak, I don't mean to be rude, but note the other people who have submitted screenshots for their maps.. they have quite a lot of content in them. I see a few walls a nd a striped pattern on the ground in yours.

Please make sure you add more content to your maps before submitting more work! I'll only update the links when I see a map that has had significant changes made to it!

Ty! :>
o_koochy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2005, 06:29 AM   #10
o_valk

bounce http://shatteredminds.net/bounce/
was in tfc as a default map, this is for hl2dm/black mesa:source
but could easily be used in ff like it was in tfc

Old 03-29-2005, 07:09 AM   #11
o_cudweiser

wasn't bounce an hldm map first?? Then someone made it so it could be used on tfc servers.

It was made for HL2DM, because it was an HLDM original.
o_cudweiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2005, 07:12 AM   #12
o_valk

na came with hl1 afaik
i know the first time i joined a server with it i didnt need to download it

Old 03-29-2005, 11:59 AM   #13
o_epothon

aye it was standard Half-Life 1 multiplayer map

it was just portable to tfc cause.. nothing needed to be changed i think.. not sure
o_epothon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2005, 12:13 PM   #14
o_nomak

im not gonna continue work on intverene because the geometry on it is too big. It looks like a giant "well" map from tfc. So ill just go back to a smalller map.

Old 03-29-2005, 04:39 PM   #15
o_soulcutter

Bounce was originally a HLM map. Love that map.

Run looks sweet, that was always one of my favorite maps. I remember one time my n00b clan almost beat CSI on a round of it. Good times, good times.
o_soulcutter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2005, 06:07 PM   #16
o_nomak

I need some help with geometry and texture placements. My problem is that lets say you have a cube. And you want to apply one certain texture on one side but not all the other sides. How do i do this? is clipping the sides of the cube the only way? My other problem is that with every map attempy i make the porportions are always wrong. In my last incursion map attempt there were parts where the cieling was some 30 ft above the player and then when you entered the flag room the roof at one point was less than 1 foot above you and you couldnt even jump. In my "intervene" map i checked the player to brush porportions and at first they seemed fine but as i started finishing the first floor and tested the map it seemed as if everything took atleast 1 min to get to. It was like playing a GIANT well map from tfc. where everthing was twice as big. And it just ticks me off everytime because this happens to me everytime. Can any one give me tips on stuff like this for my future mapping? I have another map layout and i hope this one comes out almost correctly to porportion unlike my other prototype maps.

Old 03-29-2005, 08:06 PM   #17
o_epothon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomak
I need some help with geometry and texture placements. My problem is that lets say you have a cube. And you want to apply one certain texture on one side but not all the other sides. How do i do this? is clipping the sides of the cube the only way? My other problem is that with every map attempy i make the porportions are always wrong. In my last incursion map attempt there were parts where the cieling was some 30 ft above the player and then when you entered the flag room the roof at one point was less than 1 foot above you and you couldnt even jump. In my "intervene" map i checked the player to brush porportions and at first they seemed fine but as i started finishing the first floor and tested the map it seemed as if everything took atleast 1 min to get to. It was like playing a GIANT well map from tfc. where everthing was twice as big. And it just ticks me off everytime because this happens to me everytime. Can any one give me tips on stuff like this for my future mapping? I have another map layout and i hope this one comes out almost correctly to porportion unlike my other prototype maps.
so basicly you dont know the... basics ???

maybe you aught to check out some tutorials about texturing n stuff

Old 03-29-2005, 08:11 PM   #18
o_nomak

Basics... as of basics i dont know what ur standards for basics are compared to mine. I can map pretty well but when it comes to porportions and textures i just get crazy. Ill make a map and when i test it the porportions willl make you feel as if ur a midget compared to the rest of the level. For textures help does anyone have any good sites?

Old 03-29-2005, 08:33 PM   #19
o_epothon

as for size.. Just go from your player start model and make the things in comparisson with the model

for wall thickness.. go with 16, for really thick walls, go with 32
i think the maximum hightdifference a player can walk over is 16 or 18 (if your making a step or stair..

for texturing:

find the texture application tool (its the cubic with the funny colours on, normaly midway on the righthand side of Valve hammer)

now move around in the camera view and select the faces of the brush(es) that you wish to texture, they light up in red now

select a texture you want to use by going over the textures in the dropdown menu, or using browse and then press apply
now the brush will have that texture on the faces you selected

Edit: check this video tutorial (you need quicktime to watch it)
http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/...32907#Download

Old 03-29-2005, 10:57 PM   #20
o_shadow34721

Also, player height = 64.
o_shadow34721 is offline   Reply With Quote