Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping > Maps

Old 10-30-2007, 10:35 PM   #1
foamy

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
conc_foamy

Finnaily it's here it's been a long ride with this map.

This is my first map and i think i hit it on the head if you know what i mean.

I hope you enjoy my map and have fun

Coments are welcome. at least give me some feed back

http://files.filefront.com/conc+foam.../fileinfo.html

Last edited by foamy; 10-30-2007 at 11:11 PM.
foamy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2007, 03:13 AM   #2
cownaetion
Wizard of Milk

Send a message via ICQ to cownaetion Send a message via AIM to cownaetion Send a message via MSN to cownaetion Send a message via Yahoo to cownaetion
Downloaded it to try soldier on it (like any other map) but due to no trigger_healths and maybe one or two jumps the map wouldn't be doable as that class. Make the rockets quad-core with health-given and you should be set. Otherwise you seem to ran into the same problem I did with textures. I'm a horrible visual designer but I'd stick to one theme more or less instead of using different textures for every jump. I did the same thing with my last map and now looking back I can tell a major difference with just sticking with a theme, regardless plain or not. But as for the jumps, I'm not a concer but some of them look neat. I'd say update the textures (on the walls instead of leaving them at their default scale (0.25 i think?) maybe make them scale to 1 at least?) I dont' know about source but back in TFC I think by doing that it even cut down the amount of triangles that needed to cover the textures? Don't know if this is still the case.
cownaetion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2007, 07:29 AM   #3
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
No pics no clicks... d:

I will download and maybe get some pics up tomorrow if the OP or no one else does it first.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
span

Post one screenshot at least! Your release thread is not very exciting atm to be honest.
span is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2007, 11:08 AM   #5
EquilibriuM
G9-
D&A Member

Class/Position: D Solly,Engy
Gametype: ALL
foamy dunno if this is by accident or intended but when you turn on sv cheats then back off the whole map turns black, like someone turn the lights off. i played the map a lil havnt finished it yet but its a good start bro, for your 1st map you get a B+ from me <3 yo bra :P keke

Old 10-31-2007, 11:41 AM   #6
stino

i don't donwload stuff from filefront/fileplanet without knowing what it's worth, so post at least a few screens!
stino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2007, 02:05 PM   #7
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
It's a very fun map, with some difficult jumps. I wish I had more time to play it, I was too busy setting up my new FF server I only got to play about 15 minutes...

Good news though, I got 6 people in my server within half an hour of me unlocking it for the first time.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2007, 02:49 PM   #8
span

Well, i had a try and got some feedback for you. I'll start with what you could improve for your next map. I will be a bit hard with my criticism! nothing personal tho.

1. Leak in your map.
I realized very fast that you had been compiling the map with a leak, this ruins very much of the visual experience im affraid. You should have tried to find the leak and fix it before releasing the map.

2. The textures.
You haven't put very much time into your textures and just applied them to surfaces, this resulting in a tremendous headache :P Textures are very easy to edit!

3. Great jump ideas.
I really enjoyed the jumps, it was kinda fresh and creative. :)

I could go on for a while but since this is your first map i wont judge you. But still, i cant get over the fact that you choose to publish a map like this after seeing how advanced the new released maps is... to be honest, i can't even begin to compare this map.
People get more hard to please nowdays since they know what they can expect from mappers, the quality standard has been rised very high. I'd recommand you to start mapping for TFC untill you know all the basic skills for creating a map, and maby a bit more.
span is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2007, 02:54 PM   #9
public_slots_free

This is a good starter map foamy. There are some definite issues though. The jumps are neat and are well put together so I really think you should dedicate another hour into the textures. I am not talking about changing the textures but rather resizing them.

Some of the textures are small scale and do not look well when tiled. Another issue is it seems like you never used the texture tool because some ledges are textured different than the grass. You can use the texture tool to quickly change the ledge to match the grass. I would also add a more teleporter-ish texture to the squares. Maybe you textured the trigger with the teleporter pic but those do not show up in BSP so you would again need to use the texture tool.

Finally (this is the real big one), the map has a leak. The map is 53 megs when uncompressed and you can see other jumps through the skybox. If you decide to not heed any of my previous advice then please fix this. This is a glaring technical issue that needs to be addressed. Load the map in hammer and compile it without RAD. Close the compile log and go to the Map Menu and "load point file" Follow the red line.

Mapping takes a long time and I am sure you have already put a lot of hours into the map so another couple hours can really go a long way to justify the rest of the time. I think this map would be better served if you used the standard rock/grass with resizing than what it is now.
public_slots_free is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2007, 08:03 PM   #10
[WP]Carl
Fortress Forever Player

Send a message via AIM to [WP]Carl Send a message via MSN to [WP]Carl
Yeah map was great and challengin =\ played for half hour and got to the 4th part...kinda burnt on time but was entertaining =D
[WP]Carl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2007, 12:02 AM   #11
foamy

a lot of stuff i could change.

I really need help with the texture thing i redid it more then 10 times!

Ill also get rid of soldier on the map lua.

how do you resize textures i really thought they looked nice but i guess not...

dont really know what i am doing with the textures.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:07 AM   #12
foamy

[QUOTE=span]Well, i had a try and got some feedback for you. I'll start with what you could improve for your next map. I will be a bit hard with my criticism! nothing personal tho.

1. Leak in your map.
I realized very fast that you had been compiling the map with a leak, this ruins very much of the visual experience im affraid. You should have tried to find the leak and fix it before releasing the map.

2. The textures.
You haven't put very much time into your textures and just applied them to surfaces, this resulting in a tremendous headache :P Textures are very easy QUOTE]

Didnt know there was a leak my bad and the textures ill change them to one themed

Old 11-01-2007, 12:09 AM   #13
-=bingo-bango=-
Spirit Studios

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: Blue Team
Send a message via AIM to -=bingo-bango=- Send a message via MSN to -=bingo-bango=-
http://fortress-forever.com/forum/sh...ht=pics+clicks
-=bingo-bango=- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2007, 12:29 AM   #14
foamy

So i want to know who wants the map to be one themed
to me thats kind of plain but what ever the public wants i guess.
i could add lights but i am way to lazy..

If yes "say yes or cool do it"

If no just say so

this is if you want the textures to be one themed.

-Adding flags to end red and blue and the cature points are in the beging
(this is just for fun not compintion or anything unless you want to race.
-Hopfully finding all leaks.

-Changing the textures maybe up to you guys... I going to go take screen shots ill do it now and post them. So you can see

~If you guys could help me with the hole texture thing and anything else you dont like. This whould be greatly apresheated. (sorry if i miss spelled it)

But most of all thanks to you guys i can make the changes i have to make to make it better.

Thanks again.

Ill be right back with the screen shots ill put them in a compressed folder.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:18 AM   #15
foamy

http://files.filefront.com/conc+foam.../fileinfo.html

The screen shoots sorry image shak or photobuket both hate me...
yeh

Old 11-01-2007, 03:56 AM   #16
public_slots_free

Here is a picture of your map foamy and this shows a couple things i was talking about. First off, look at the floor and the walls. You can see how it repeats over and over. Now on concmaps, that is hard to avoid but you can make it less obvious by increasing the texture size some. Also, look at the grass brush sitting on top of the platform. You see how there is a grass texture on the side that is flush with the wall. Grass doesn't grow like that so you would use the texture tool to just texture that one side. You can even use the texture tool to select that side and the wall below it, check the treat as one box and texture the both of them with 1 texture. These same tendencies are found throughout the map so if you work on this and the leak, you will have a lot of improvement.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:35 PM   #17
foamy

Quote:
Originally Posted by public_slots_free
First off, look at the floor and the walls. You can see how it repeats over and over. Now on concmaps, that is hard to avoid but you can make it less obvious by increasing the "texture size some.".... Also, look at the grass brush sitting on top of the platform. You see how there is a grass texture on the side that is flush with the wall. Grass doesn't grow like that so you would use the texture tool to just texture that one side. You can even use the texture tool to select that side and the wall below it, check the treat as one box and texture the both of them with 1 texture. These same tendencies are found throughout the map so if you work on this and the leak, you will have a lot of improvement.
how do you incress the texture size? Texture tool? seleting 1 side No idea what your trying to say or how to do it And the leak is pretty much fixxed but one thing it says my "concbackpacks are leaks along with all my teleports"

Thanks for your help as you can tell i still need more ^

Old 11-01-2007, 08:47 PM   #18
public_slots_free

Go to the jump in hammer with the camera. Click the green colored square on your tools bar. This is the texture tool. Now click on a brush. It only selects the side you clicked on and not the whole brush. This lets you change the texture on one side of a brush.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:53 PM   #19
foamy

What about the leaks saying that my concbags are the leaks?

Old 11-01-2007, 09:04 PM   #20
TheWetMule

Send a message via MSN to TheWetMule Send a message via Skype™ to TheWetMule
It's not SAYING they're the leaks, it's saying they're the closest to the leak, have a look around where it says, mmmmmk?
TheWetMule is offline   Reply With Quote