Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2005, 08:08 AM   #1
o_turtle

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Questions...PLEASE read mod team!

Ok, I just have a few questions. Don't get angry though, I'm not here to start a flame-war....

Are you guys the original creators of TFC?(not referring to the quake version Quake-Fortress)

Do you have permission, to be re-making, such a popular mod?

Is anyone in this team involved with the other TFC development, or have been part of it's team?

Isn't Valve already making a port of TF, ie. TF:S?

Does Valve know about this? Will this be the official TF:S mod?
(guess not since it's FF but...)

Doesn't TF license now belong to Valve?

Will this keep all the elements which made TFC/TFsuch a classic?

How will the physics in Source, affect gameplay, such as conc jumping, etc?

Ok, so you're keeping all the classes, will they have all their same characteristics?

Will they still have their secondary gernades?(Ok this is for the suggestions forum but, I think the sniper should have a secondary gernade too)

Errr...that's all for now but I think I have more...I'm just worried about a "community" version of TF for source, not being the same as a direct port version straight from Valve....I have more questions, but please answer these if you can, as soon as you can. Thanks, .
o_turtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2005, 09:00 AM   #2
o_geforce

The development team are totally independant from the creators of TFC and anything to do with valve. That also means it isn't the official TF:S (If valve ever decide to create/release this)

The project can be percieved as a 'Team based mod for Half-Life 2'.

Most of the development team have worked closely with TFC over the years, modifying the game, creating the maps, etc...

Alot of them and alot of the guys registered to these forums like myself have played TFC for 5/6 years, if we can trust anyone to produce a 'TFC type' mod for HL2 we can trust them (It's our last hope anyway).

They physics are being developed to suit, I'm sure the game will remain as close to TFC itself as possible, including classes and their attributed - they've stated this also. So you don't have to worry about it being a community mod, because this community loves TFC just as it is - we just need a BIGGER community.

We believe that FF will rekindle that once, most popular mod!

Sure one of the team will respond to you soon anyway
o_geforce is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2005, 03:25 PM   #3
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

Re: Questions...PLEASE read mod team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle
Ok, I just have a few questions. Don't get angry though, I'm not here to start a flame-war....

Are you guys the original creators of TFC?(not referring to the quake version Quake-Fortress)
Read the FAQ. Nope.

Quote:
Chances of getting a response from Valve regarding TF = 0.1%. Experience has taught us this. Nobody else has ever had a problem creating TF mods for other engines from a legal standpoint; I would hope this trend would remain consistent from our point of view.

Quote:
Is anyone in this team involved with the other TFC development, or have been part of it's team?
There is no other TFC development; the team was just a bunch of people that idled in an IRC room one day and any maps produced were created by individuals. If there are other TFC:S teams (valve aside) I've yet to see any work from them or any indication to believe they will see it through.

Quote:
Most likely, though they refuse to acknowledge or deny such speculation. We decided to take action regardless of their situation with TFC:S. The chances are a TFC:S port created by valve will simply move the MOD and all of its associated problems onto a new engine (or possible add some more, like teleporters). We are in a strong position to listen to the community and deliver something that captures the spirit of TFC but improves upon it.

Quote:
Does Valve know about this? Will this be the official TF:S mod?
(guess not since it's FF but...)
No idea and read the FAQ respectively. Isn't this the same question but worded slightly differently? :P

Quote:
Doesn't TF license now belong to Valve?
This is the basically same question again!

Quote:
Will this keep all the elements which made TFC/TFsuch a classic?
FAQ!

Quote:
FAQ!

Quote:
Ok, so you're keeping all the classes, will they have all their same characteristics?
For the most part, yes. It wouldn't be TFC without the classes and their abilities.

Quote:
Will they still have their secondary gernades?(Ok this is for the suggestions forum but, I think the sniper should have a secondary gernade too)
Yes. A small amount of grenades may be tweaked or replaced with alternate types of gren.

Quote:
Errr...that's all for now but I think I have more...I'm just worried about a "community" version of TF for source, not being the same as a direct port version straight from Valve....I have more questions, but please answer these if you can, as soon as you can. Thanks, .
I really don't see what you have to worry about. If it's not good, you don't have to play it. If valve chooses to port TFC:S you will always have the option of playing either or both versions. We are better placed to balance TFC than valve is considering most of the dev team have played various versions of TF and then TFC for 3-5+ years. Valve are more interested in CS and things like that these days which is fair enough. Their recent changes (teleporters and stuff) have just shown that they do not have their finger on the community's pulse. We are quite confident that we know what we're doing.

Old 01-16-2005, 07:34 PM   #4
o_anthraxium[wu]

im extremely confident in this FF team. If i could choose anyone to make a TF:S mod, it would be these guys

keep us informed
o_anthraxium[wu] is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2005, 07:47 PM   #5
o_storm

Defrag is a good man you can trust him!
o_storm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2005, 08:22 PM   #6
o_storm

:P

Old 01-16-2005, 09:48 PM   #7
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

^ rofl.

Old 01-16-2005, 10:57 PM   #8
o_mr_rage

I, for one, thought the teleporters were a nice touch so late in the game...

When there was uncapped bhop, I really didn't like the game as much as I do now. I didn't like killing an HW only to have him back in position no more than a few seconds later. Yeah, it was easier to juke on O and stuff, but all-in-all I think it made things much tougher and "elite-based."

Once they capped it, I felt that things really evened out significantly. There were complaints that D players couldn't get into position fast enough after being killed, or something along those lines... and in comes the teleporter.

What I particularly like is how the community has sort of adapted the tele for both O and D uses. It gives the D another thing to think or worry about, creating the possiblity for teleporter hunters, and made people think twice about their strats based on where the O might put teleporters (if they used them).

I thought it made things a lot more dynamic. This dyanmic style of play (not just teles) in TFC is what set it above and beyond most other games. I'd certainly like to see the teleporter find its way to FF, although I see it's mentioned in the list of things that will NOT be included.

I'm heartbroken ;[
o_mr_rage is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2005, 12:55 AM   #9
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Rage
I, for one, thought the teleporters were a nice touch so late in the game...

When there was uncapped bhop, I really didn't like the game as much as I do now. I didn't like killing an HW only to have him back in position no more than a few seconds later. Yeah, it was easier to juke on O and stuff, but all-in-all I think it made things much tougher and "elite-based."
Teleporters get HWs back into position much faster than bhop ever did.

Old 01-17-2005, 05:37 AM   #10
o_turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defrag
Read the FAQ. Nope.

Quote:
Chances of getting a response from Valve regarding TF = 0.1%. Experience has taught us this. Nobody else has ever had a problem creating TF mods for other engines from a legal standpoint; I would hope this trend would remain consistent from our point of view.

Quote:
Most likely, though they refuse to acknowledge or deny such speculation. We decided to take action regardless of their situation with TFC:S. The chances are a TFC:S port created by valve will simply move the MOD and all of its associated problems onto a new engine (or possible add some more, like teleporters). We are in a strong position to listen to the community and deliver something that captures the spirit of TFC but improves upon it.

FAQ!

Quote:
FAQ!

Quote:
Yes. A small amount of grenades may be tweaked or replaced with alternate types of gren.
I Read the FAQ, before I posted these questions....

Check out this link, it speaks of TF2, http://www.forumplanet.com/planethal...49&tid=1580074. An answer, yes, from VALVE.... omg!

Anyway, if some of ya are too lazy to find the answer here it is....

"[Question] When will we get to play Team Fortress 2?

[Answer]We work on full steam, on realising Team Fortress 2, which ofcourse wil run on the same game engine as Half-Life 2, Source.
We will tell more in the spring."

Lol...ok a bit short...but there's more to hear/read in the link.
But I hear, that news of a TF:S, will also come in Spring.

There is also this, which came from VALVE, it can be found on planethalflife.com; "There are a number of other things we're working on at Valve right now that we aren't quite ready to talk about, but our resolution for the new year is to keep the community more informed about what's ahead. To that end, there will be a weekly Steam message (like this one) to give people an idea of what we're working on."

But I still have some questions...about your mod, ofcourse.

Ok so, I already asked this...but, I feel it wasn't answered...not even in the FAQ, but I did sort of 'skim' through it.

Will the physics of the new Source engine effect gameplay at all?
(I'm going to miss launching teammates across the map from either; sniper-charging, rocket-launching, gernading, concing, and what-not...)But I'm sure there's some way to "code" the physics out of the game, right?

Ahh...the gernade "tweaking", was what I had worried about...along with other various "tweaking", on either the maps, classes, weapons, or anything to the way you and your team thought it should be.

I still look forward to this mod...I don't mean to "diss" on it, in anyway...and I'll definately play it... after getting used to your version of it.

**Off to care-fully, read the FAQ, again.

Old 01-17-2005, 06:27 AM   #11
o_silentbutdeadly

Quote:
Ahh...the gernade "tweaking", was what I had worried about...along with other various "tweaking", on either the maps, classes, weapons, or anything to the way you and your team thought it should be.

I still look forward to this mod...I don't mean to "diss" on it, in anyway...and I'll definately play it... after getting used to your version of it.
Hehe, it is just like any other new game you will play, you just are going to have to get use to it. When TFC first came out, and when most people were playing on dial-up, a lot of the things that we're capable of doing today were just not possible to do then. It was a lot of fun learning new things too. I would like to regain that feeling back again in FF. In order to do that though, there will have to be some changes in the game, as well as "new things".

Those are my thoughts about this, and I have a good feeling about this game.

Silent
o_silentbutdeadly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2005, 06:35 AM   #12
o_psycho_soldier

Turtle, you do realise that Team Fortress 2 is more closely related to CS than it is to TFC right?
o_psycho_soldier is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2005, 09:45 AM   #13
o_storm

Counterstrike with 10 classes is the word on the e-street!

Old 01-17-2005, 11:57 AM   #14
o_valk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho_Soldier
Turtle, you do realise that Team Fortress 2 is more closely related to CS than it is to TFC right?
o_valk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2005, 10:59 PM   #15
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

TFC:S does not equal TF2! They are seperate games.

Old 01-17-2005, 11:02 PM   #16
o_turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho_Soldier
What makes you say this?

If you're referring to the VERY old news and screenshots...you do realize they were old, right?

Plenty of changes have been made since then, I'm sure. But besides that, what about it, makes you say it's closer to CS?

Sure some elements might look like it, but it still is TFC, or TF2, in this case. It's just more of a tactical wargame, from what I saw, it just looked more realistic. There is more strategy involved...unlike CS, and some-what unlike TFC now. But I don't see classes, in CS. I don't see medics, or denomans in CS. I don't see flag capturing in CS(if TF2 does have that). There are so many things which looked different than cs...I can see why some will say it's like a combination of the 2, some even said it looked like DOD...but more closely related to cs? I'm pretty sure it's more of a balance...although I didn't see hostage rescuing, or bomb planting, but perhaps VIP rescuing...which TFC already has.

Whether or not the weapons, and gameplay, will be closely related to CS, whether or not it's a combination of TFC, DOD, and CS...I'll STILL play it, that's not going to stop me from missing out on what could be one hell of a game. Which is also why, I, for damn sure, am going to play this mod too.

Old 01-17-2005, 11:06 PM   #17
o_turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defrag
TFC:S does not equal TF2! They are seperate games.
Yeah, I heard that news from a different site.

Old 01-17-2005, 11:08 PM   #18
o_turtle

Quote:

Ok so, I already asked this...but, I feel it wasn't answered...not even in the FAQ, but I did sort of 'skim' through it.

Will the physics of the new Source engine effect gameplay at all?
(I'm going to miss launching teammates across the map from either; sniper-charging, rocket-launching, gernading, concing, and what-not...)But I'm sure there's some way to "code" the physics out of the game, right?
So can that above question, be answered, specifically?

I apologize for the triple posting....

Old 01-17-2005, 11:23 PM   #19
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

The physics can be applied or ignored on a per-case basis, so no they won't affect TF gameplay unless we want the physics system to do just that.

Old 01-18-2005, 12:42 AM   #20
o_spud

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Arrg hl2 physics, anything but the things that make your legs feck up if you walk on them.. ala hl2dm and any prop that you walk on. Physics lag is terrible, nothing could hinder the gameplay more then that so you'd better watch out FF team.
o_spud is offline   Reply With Quote