Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 05-03-2005, 05:02 PM   #61
o_meisteh

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
they all do heaps of stuff spud ;D

the DT site has a decent listing. i haven't heard any of Myung's stuff and from Petrucci only, "an evening with john petrucci and jordan rudess" (which you may like). labrie's stuff you probably wouldn't be all that into, but yeah Portnoy and Rudess' side projects should interest you.
o_meisteh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2005, 05:11 PM   #62
Decs
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud
Quote:
Originally Posted by decs
I have to agree with you and also say that its good to see people that like Mattias IA, you should check out Ron Thal if you havnt allready pretty much down the same street. As in they are both insane and quite fast
Yay, there's always at least a couple people on every forums that like the sorta guitarists I like

I've heard of the name Ron Thal but not checked out so will check him out soon too. I like Mattias IA Eklundh as he is such a funny guy as well as imo 'innovative' when it comes to making up new guitar techniques. He is also a quirky song writer and I seriously enjoy a lot of the work he does.

Thanks for the heads up on Thal tho. *runs off to find him*.

[edit]
Oh! He is Bumblefoot. Didn't realise they were the same. You're right tho, very quirky like Mattias. Think I will try and get an album or two of his stuff.

OMG lol $99 from amazon for his first (and rare) cd...
[/edit]
Mattias is a fun guy indeed, got a video of his guitar"clinic" in a french musicstore lying around. Good stuff, really funny. I also did an interview with him for a norwegian webzine some time ago, nice bloke.
Oh and yeah its bumblefoot! :]
Been trying to find his cd over here for ages, but its almost impossible to find anywhere. He and IA did some stuff togheter thats really worth checking out.
Fun talking about insane guitarists :] And not to mention listening to them. Always good to hear guitarists going in new directions.

Oh and to the previous poster, who the hell likes James LaBrie tho? I must say i dislike him :\ And he sortof ruined the newest Ayreon record aswell with his annoying vocals.

Old 05-03-2005, 05:20 PM   #63
o_otiz

LaBrie is a great vocalist although he isn't diverse enough. I'm picking up the Metropolis DVD soon because I love 'Scenes from a memory' so fucking much. Any of you seen the dvd and can comment if it's worth the dough?
o_otiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2005, 05:41 PM   #64
o_don

I like nearly all styles except death metal, dance and techno, all of which I hate. To name a few of my faves:

Loud rock:
Rage Against The Machine
Billy Talent
Led Zeppelin (!!!! not one bad song)
Red Hot Chili Peppers

Guns & Roses
Lost Prophets, Alien Ant Farm, InMe, Transplants, Velvet Revolver...

Pop:
Beck, Blur, Gorillaz, Libertines

I absolutely love funk/acid jazz : Jamiroquai, Herbie Hancock
and some ska: Hepcat

Some classic folk rock like:
Nick Drake
Dispatch
Ben Folds Five

And of course the classics like:

The Doors,
Frank Sinatra
John Coltrane, Miles Davis,
Genesis
Sting & The Police
Beach Boys and finally The Beatles to name a few...

Phew!
o_don is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2005, 02:11 AM   #65
o_meisteh

Quote:
Oh and to the previous poster, who the hell likes James LaBrie tho? I must say i dislike him :\
i don't mind him, his studio work with DT is fine as well as a couple other sideprojects I have of his. he seems to be a bit lacklustre in some of the live DT performances I have, but he's pretty good in Metropolis 2000: Scenes From New York. He doesn't come close to touching the likes of Russell Allen of Symphony X though :D

Old 05-04-2005, 02:20 AM   #66
o_meisteh

Quote:
Originally Posted by otiz
I'm picking up the Metropolis DVD soon because I love 'Scenes from a memory' so fucking much. Any of you seen the dvd and can comment if it's worth the dough?
yeah i bought the dvd, it's great. some of the editing, effects, etc are a bit and you get some poor acting all over your screen as they play out parts of the story, but the performance is great. it's awesome when they bring out the gospel choir and singer for The Spirit Carries On. The bonus concert footage is quite classy too, including: Learning to Live, The Silent Man, Erotomania, Voices and even ACOS played in full (25min). The commentary option is pretty interesting too, I suggest when/if you get it you listen to that after you've watched it once or twice at least.

in fact, watching the DVD gives you even more appreciation for the songs. especially when Rudess and Petrucci play in unison at high speeds ;D

Old 05-04-2005, 12:04 PM   #67
Decs
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
LaBrie is a great vocalist although he isn't diverse enough. I'm picking up the Metropolis DVD soon because I love 'Scenes from a memory' so fucking much. Any of you seen the dvd and can comment if it's worth the dough?
I disagree, his voice isnt all that. But ofcourse, thats just my opiniong, you're free to have yours!

Old 05-04-2005, 03:34 PM   #68
o_ivaqual

also,

Ron Thal > you

that's all.
o_ivaqual is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2005, 04:38 PM   #69
Decs
Retired FF Staff

Yeah im pretty confident Ron Thal would outplay me and i would guess most of the forum users anyday :]

Old 05-04-2005, 11:49 PM   #70
o_spud

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have to agree with you and also say that its good to see people that like Mattias IA, you should check out Ron Thal if you havnt allready pretty much down the same street. As in they are both insane and quite fast
Yay, there's always at least a couple people on every forums that like the sorta guitarists I like

I've heard of the name Ron Thal but not checked out so will check him out soon too. I like Mattias IA Eklundh as he is such a funny guy as well as imo 'innovative' when it comes to making up new guitar techniques. He is also a quirky song writer and I seriously enjoy a lot of the work he does.

Thanks for the heads up on Thal tho. *runs off to find him*.

[edit]
Oh! He is Bumblefoot. Didn't realise they were the same. You're right tho, very quirky like Mattias. Think I will try and get an album or two of his stuff.

OMG lol $99 from amazon for his first (and rare) cd...
[/edit]
Mattias is a fun guy indeed, got a video of his guitar"clinic" in a french musicstore lying around. Good stuff, really funny. I also did an interview with him for a norwegian webzine some time ago, nice bloke.
Oh and yeah its bumblefoot! :]
Been trying to find his cd over here for ages, but its almost impossible to find anywhere. He and IA did some stuff togheter thats really worth checking out.
Fun talking about insane guitarists :] And not to mention listening to them. Always good to hear guitarists going in new directions.

Oh and to the previous poster, who the hell likes James LaBrie tho? I must say i dislike him :\ And he sortof ruined the newest Ayreon record aswell with his annoying vocals.
Cool, lucky git got to meet him!

Yea i have a lot of his videos, what ever I can find I gobble up.

Mmm small, pink dildos..
o_spud is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2005, 04:56 PM   #71
o_steelvalor

Everything from Ozzy to Lita ford to LikinPark to Lacuna Coil.

if it has a loud guitar in it I'm usually "there with bells on"
o_steelvalor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2005, 08:25 PM   #72
o_sh4x

My fav bands ...

radiohead
midlake
lali puna
spoon
umbrella sequence
muse
pink floyd

I must be forgetting some...

I can't stand commercial music really.
o_sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2005, 03:11 AM   #73
o_spud

muse and radiohead are pretty commerical :P

(even if they intended it or not)

Old 05-07-2005, 05:06 PM   #74
o_sh4x

Quote:
muse and radiohead are pretty commerical :P

(even if they intended it or not)
radiohead, commercial?? how???

There's a difference between something that's of the commercial type and something that is sold in the stores. Radiohead doesn't make commercial music, but they are sold in stores. Just like Pink Floyd, eventough it's known by almost everyone doesn't mean it's commercial. Beeing good and appreciated by alot of ppl doesnt equal beeing commercial...

And Muse isnt commercial either... why do you say it's pretty commercial? cuz they are known by x number of ppl which is greater than some other group???

You can tell if a group is commercial or not by analyzing their music. Commercial music is constructed in a certain way. And beleive me Radiohead is far from it.

Old 05-07-2005, 05:17 PM   #75
o_otiz

Pretty much because they do what they do to sell records.

Old 05-07-2005, 05:23 PM   #76
o_sh4x

Quote:
Making records is an art.. and it's also a good way so that more ppl can listen to your music. But anyways, I don't think you understood my prev post if you say that. I'll quote the most important part: "You can tell if a group is commercial or not by analyzing their music. Commercial music is constructed in a certain way. And beleive me Radiohead is far from it."

Wanting to sell albums doesnt make you commercial. Cuz if so, 99% of the bands would be commercial. Money has nothing to do with beeing commercial or not, it's the CONSTRUCTION OF THE SONGS that makes you a commercial type of band or not.

Old 05-07-2005, 05:30 PM   #77
o_otiz

Quote:
Sorry.. but I don't think you understood my post!
What I meant is that they're making it to sell it... stick to what sells at any given time. If they put out a record and it doesnt sell then they will change it the next time they record an album.
Radiohead are popular because of their pop (*maybe* commercial) songs like (if I remember correctly) Karma police and Paranoid android (both from the same album that brought them fame and fortune). Other than that Radiohead is ok in my book, not my coffee, but I see that they're at least trying to be innovative. Muse on the other hand is blatantly commercial.

Old 05-07-2005, 05:36 PM   #78
o_sh4x

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry.. but I don't think you understood my post!
What I meant is that they're making it to sell it... stick to what sells at any given time. If they put out a record and it doesnt sell then they will change it the next time they record an album.
Radiohead are popular because of their pop (*maybe* commercial) songs like (if I remember correctly) Karma police and Paranoid android (both from the same album that brought them fame and fortune). Other than that Radiohead is ok in my book, not my coffee, but I see that they're at least trying to be innovative. Muse on the other hand is blatantly commercial.
Muse is border line I give you that. In fact I listen to their early stuff only, first 2 albums. They lost me with Absolution.
And I understand that they're making it to sell it, OF COURSE they do. Just like every fucking band in the world that makes an album. They wanna sell it, otherwise they wouldnt do one in the first place. Like I said, the number of albums you sell or the amount of money you make out of music has nothing to do with beeing commercial or not.

Are you aware of the commercial song structures at all??

Old 05-07-2005, 05:37 PM   #79
o_otiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4x
Muse is border line I give you that. In fact I listen to their early stuff only, first 2 albums. They lost me with Absolution.
And I understand that they're making it to sell it, OF COURSE they do. Just like every fucking band in the world that makes an album. They wanna sell it, otherwise they wouldnt do one in the first place. Like I said, the number of albums you sell or the amount of money you make out of music has nothing to do with beeing commercial or not.
What's wrong with you? You think people only make art to make money? I feel for you, I really do. Even George Michael once said he wanted to give his albums but the label wouldnt let him.

Old 05-07-2005, 05:47 PM   #80
o_spud

Hehe thought i'd say that to raise some hairs.

But aye, commerical music = music that sells. Good and bad.
That was what I was on about.

I had to rebuke your comment because I listen to stuff by artists who release music for free and are not out to make their fortune through geting a mega hit single.

They make music for the joy of music and getting rich from it doesn't really enter the equation.

That = non-commerical music.