Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 07:54 AM   #1
Bomber
Skillet

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Merged: Disappointed TF2 and TF2 Impressions

Game is totally different than TFC, should even call it team fortress, anyway cool game, freezes on me for 30 seconds out of every minutes, some kind of bug, what does everyone else think of the game?

Otherwise runs smooth on my PC

Last edited by 4est; 09-20-2007 at 11:22 PM. Reason: merge the spam

Old 09-18-2007, 08:02 AM   #2
FreakyLime

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
It's pretty leet this game. IMHO way better then Fortress Forever.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:04 AM   #3
mogge

haha hope you're being sarcastic freakylime.

i don't care for it all that much myself. Didn't really dive into that much. Server i did play in was full of kids who didn't seem like they knew what they were doing.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:12 AM   #4
holmengraa

Im not prepurchasing the package, so i wont play it at all.

Sticking with FF because of the finish and thought that has gone in to the mod, i think it is maybe the most solid release of a mod ever.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:43 AM   #5
MasterVampire

FF is better than TF2

Old 09-18-2007, 08:47 AM   #6
Concave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterVampire
FF is better than TF2
QFT

Old 09-18-2007, 08:59 AM   #7
snips

Quote:
FF is better than TF2

Old 09-22-2007, 05:06 PM   #8
sigwigs

Quote:
FF is better than TF2
No; FF is different from TF2. Both are a lot of fun. FF for the older TFC feel, TF2 for (what should be) a more tactical, slower paced game.

I enjoy both, thoroughly.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:04 AM   #9
tu!

TF2 Impressions!

please post your impressions!

Old 09-18-2007, 08:06 AM   #10
mogge

ff > tf2 that's all i have to say :>

Old 09-18-2007, 08:10 AM   #11
ajniN

The TF2 graphics are amazing. Some funny stuff, maps so far seem ok. But theres a certain element of movement/aim that's definitely missing.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:15 AM   #12
tu!

is there ANY air control? eg. can you do a u-turn in midair to juke etc?

do any guns have recoil or anything weird?

whats the cone of fire like? any RANDOM cone of fire crap?

Old 09-18-2007, 08:27 AM   #13
Rawd

TF2 feels and plays like no other game I have ever played. It is nothing like any Fortress game before. It is beautiful and funny. I sure enjoyed myself in the server, and I can see myself playing it alot. I will also play FF alot, as they are 2 TOTALLY different games. FF Feels like TFC and the fortresses before it. TF2 Feels totally new and different.

I kind of felt uncomfortable in there.. It is very slow and sluggish, and kind of feels hard to see. I am sure I will get used to it though, I have just been plaing alot of fast paced FF lately

Old 09-18-2007, 10:07 AM   #14
s0undch4s3r
The guy you love to hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.flexyjerkov
You have to wait up to 20 seconds to respawn = FAIL

No nades = FAIL

Game play is very slow = FAIL

Old 09-18-2007, 10:19 AM   #15
latimerinho

It's so slow. Fun, but slow.

And the default_fov is 75, and you cannot change it?

Old 09-18-2007, 10:28 AM   #16
Coopz

Well its fun and thats all a game should be unless its a sim.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:29 AM   #17
Sureshot
Winner

My first impressions (as from another forum):

Well what can I say... I never thought I'd be so underwhelmed about TF2. I was really holding back judgement until the last minute, but now I can simply go right for the jugular.

The pace firstly - it's pedestrian. Even the scout seems to be extremely slow. Next, the general movement and jumping. After you've jumped, there is a slight delay until you're able to jump again, so just to confirm, any kind of bunnyhopping is totally out. I tried strafe-jumping a bit, but it didn't seem to yield much. With regard to weapons, the major point is that rockets are about 20% slower I'd say.

So, what we have so far is a slow game, with dumbed down movement from the likes of TFC and FF. Oh yeah, and there's the respawn timer to slow things down even more.

The next thing I noticed was the fov. default_fov is actually set to 75. Yes, seventy five! And do you know what else? You can't change your fov unless sv_cheats are set to 1. Oh lordy lord.

What else... well, for all the talk about Valve revolutionising the game on both new and old maps, I really haven't seen it so far. I've just come off playing some lengthy stints of 2fort and dustbowl, and they play almost exactly the same as they did in TFC; for example, everybody spamming the bridge on 2fort and nobody actually doing any defending. Ok, so perhaps this might change as people get used to the game, in which case I won't dwell too much.

However, with dustbowl, which really can't be played in any other way, it felt even more like hitting a brick wall than it did previously. If you consider the fact that you have no grenades any more (not even the demo) to take out the insta-locking SGs and you're mowed down constantly bloody invincible HWGuys stomping around with medics on their tails, you can quickly work out how much fun it is being on the attacking team.

Before TF2 came out, I was open-minded about Valve dumbing the game down for the masses. It seemed like they'd formulated a good reason for doing it, and perhaps had a few surprises up their sleeves for extra content to compensate. To my dismay, there really is nothing new of note at all. Despite valve removing some key elements of the Fortress grenre, I can't think of one additional feature they've added to the game to put back some of the depth they have wrenched out.

I can even stoop to a graphical level to make some comparisons (which I rarely every do - gfx do not make a game). Yes, TF2 looks good with its new graphical techniques, but at the same time it makes things look bland in some cases. For instance, my opinion is that dustbowl for FF looks 100 times better than its TF2 equivalent.

There are 2 things I'm glad about when it comes to this TF2 release - number one is that FF came out at the same time, so we at least have a cracking game to toddle off back to. And number two is that once any player who wants a shred of depth or competitive play in their game plays TF2, they will be heading straight (back) to FF in record time.

I've honestly been hoping that Valve were going to impress with TF2, despite some of the negative vibes that have been emanating, but christ, this is not the game we have been waiting for for 8 years, I can tell you that much straight away. I'm really not one to slate a game right off the bat, but I've seen enough of TF2 to be thoroughly disappointed enough to make my mind up already.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:34 AM   #18
summit

Although I don't consider it "dumbing" down it was a constructive post - of course it's geared heavily towards your preference but that's cool, that's your opinion.

Oh and remember guys, beta. Things can and will be changed

Old 09-18-2007, 07:20 PM   #19
Noodlesocks

Valve has done it again. They've taken a classic multiplayer game, stripped it down to the bare minimum, dumbed the crap out of it as much as possible, slapped on the monicker and shoved it out the door.

Although TF2 is fun in it's own right, it is not team fortress in the least.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:37 PM   #20
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

@benjpac

yea, i'm gonna have to listen to that commentary that valve devs made about how grenades make the classes too similar, if i ever get tf2.

because if the valve team really said that, and the meaning behind their saying it was in fact to say the grenades made the classes too similar, then i have to wonder what team fortress mod they were playing.

i just hope valve didn't go with the whole dod respawn and the cs type of sluggish movements for tf2 because they based their philosophy of TF around their steam stats page and thought they could rake in the cash from cs and dod players by making tf2 like those two games =/

Closed Thread