Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2008, 09:33 PM   #1
z0rt
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
DT's First Entry

Well, now that the new system is up and running, I figured it was about time for me to make my first entry. I mean, I'm already behind Sh4x and Elmo, and I'm the one who suggested this new system in the first place. A bit ironic, eh?

Anyway, I've been making a lot of progress in the development field, although not as much as I would've wanted. Unfortunately, I've had many hard-disk / hard-drive woes . First I lost my Seagate 750GB external hard drive, and in the same month I lost my 100GB external hard drive as well. Both hard drives had hardware crashes (not to be confused with software crashes). Those in the business know just how much it hurts when there is a hardware malfunction. Luckily I have a friend with a special machine (which is very expensive mind you), and we were able to recover part of my stuff. I suppose we were lucky to recover as much as we had.

So you're all probably wondering what I've been doing exactly. Sadly, I can't tell you everything because we need to keep things under wraps. However, those of you who have played with me in-game may have seen me saying something like "OMGz0r, not another bug!" (e.g. the tr-a bug / exploit). You probably don't understand what that means, and I sure as hell wont tell you either. Generally, I'd say I've been working on optimizations and debugging. I don't know if my work will be included in the 2.1 release.

I've played the beta version of 2.1 a bit. I have my opinions, others have theirs. We may not all meet eye-to-eye on some things, but we're all entitled to our own opinions... so it's important for me to respect others, despite the contrast in our views. Just about everyone knows about the modification of the scout. Those of you who know me know that I am a staunch opponent of the change. Others feel the same way I do, like TerrorFarkt.

I feel the most important thing is that we hear from you, the gamers. If you see me in game, feel free to ask me questions or give me input. The same goes here on the forums. Please feel free to PM me. I promise I wont bite.

Good Game peoples...

Respectfully,
-- .dt.
z0rt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
myersjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rt
Well, now that the new system is up and running, I figured it was about time for me to make my first entry. I mean, I'm already behind Sh4x and Elmo, and I'm the one who suggested this new system in the first place. A bit ironic, eh?

Anyway, I've been making a lot of progress in the development field, although not as much as I would've wanted. Unfortunately, I've had many hard-disk / hard-drive woes . First I lost my Seagate 750GB external hard drive, and in the same month I lost my 100GB external hard drive as well. Both hard drives had hardware crashes (not to be confused with software crashes). Those in the business know just how much it hurts when there is a hardware malfunction. Luckily I have a friend with a special machine (which is very expensive mind you), and we were able to recover part of my stuff. I suppose we were lucky to recover as much as we had.

So you're all probably wondering what I've been doing exactly. Sadly, I can't tell you everything because we need to keep things under wraps. However, those of you who have played with me in-game may have seen me saying something like "OMGz0r, not another bug!" (e.g. the tr-a bug / exploit). You probably don't understand what that means, and I sure as hell wont tell you either. Generally, I'd say I've been working on optimizations and debugging. I don't know if my work will be included in the 2.1 release.

I've played the beta version of 2.1 a bit. I have my opinions, others have theirs. We may not all meet eye-to-eye on some things, but we're all entitled to our own opinions... so it's important for me to respect others, despite the contrast in our views. Just about everyone knows about the modification of the scout. Those of you who know me know that I am a staunch opponent of the change. Others feel the same way I do, like TerrorFarkt.

I feel the most important thing is that we hear from you, the gamers. If you see me in game, feel free to ask me questions or give me input. The same goes here on the forums. Please feel free to PM me. I promise I wont bite.

Good Game peoples...

Respectfully,
-- .dt.
Changes to the scout?? Waht changes prey tell?? I havent heard about any changes..rats..guess ill just have to see eh??
myersjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2008, 10:21 PM   #3
reaper18
sKeeD
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout, Demo, Solly
Gametype: Any
Posts Rated Helpful 21 Times
Send a message via AIM to reaper18
Quote:
Originally Posted by myersjr
Changes to the scout?? Waht changes prey tell?? I havent heard about any changes..rats..guess ill just have to see eh??
hardcap.
Which is, imo, an unecessary attempt to slow down the scout, which in turn is slowing the pace of the game.
IMO leave the scout alone and focus on defense a littlle more. Scout runs nice and smooth, we just need some buffs for the sniper and the heavy
reaper18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2008, 10:30 PM   #4
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
The hard cap affects everyone, not just the scout, and with the current values it's not even that bad.

So... I don't know what change he means. Jump pad? I've never seen him talk about it on the forums.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:40 PM   #5
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Hard cap? As in nobody can go above, say, 2000 in game units of speed? Or are we talking about a hard cap in regards to BHopping where everyone has a hard cap of 600 but lighter classes get up to that cap at a much higher rate than the heavier classes?

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2008, 11:08 PM   #6
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
It's also ironic that you bypassed the dev journals and just made a thread yourself.

And, for the hard cap discussion see Mushy's post that started it all: http://www.fortress-forever.com/foru...ad.php?t=15677

Basically, it slows you down to a % of your speed when you land above a higher % of your speed. Let's say, you are a scout. Base speed: 400. You conc. In 2.0, you land and have about ~1000 speed on the first jump. In the beta, you land and have about ~700 speed.

See Mushy's post for some reasons why. I enjoy playing offense in the beta 100x more than in 2.0. It is actually legitimately challenging, rather than just concing towards the flag and praying that the demo misses his det and that the SG is down.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington

Last edited by squeek.; 06-11-2008 at 11:22 PM.
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2008, 12:05 AM   #7
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
IMO, hard cap should only count when you are going downwards(such as concing twds the ground) and going faster than, say 720 speed. This excludes downtrimping as well. Skimming is not bad, and I do not agree with setting a hard cap on all classes.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2008, 12:14 AM   #8
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg
IMO, hard cap should only count when you are going downwards(such as concing twds the ground) and going faster than, say 720 speed. This excludes downtrimping as well. Skimming is not bad, and I do not agree with setting a hard cap on all classes.
The only classes a hard cap will have a noticeable affect on will be scout and medic.

My Non-official Maps

- Karl Pilkington

Old 06-12-2008, 12:17 AM   #9
Nuk3m
Banned

Class/Position: Scout / Offense
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: :e0: Founder
Send a message via AIM to Nuk3m
Ok, move the hard cap discussion to the beta forums guys.
Nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2008, 12:18 AM   #10
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuk3m
Ok, move the hard cap discussion to the playtests guys.
Will do.

My Non-official Maps

- Karl Pilkington

Old 06-12-2008, 12:20 AM   #11
Nuk3m
Banned

Class/Position: Scout / Offense
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: :e0: Founder
Send a message via AIM to Nuk3m
k.
Nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2008, 04:05 AM   #12
reaper18
sKeeD
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout, Demo, Solly
Gametype: Any
Posts Rated Helpful 21 Times
Send a message via AIM to reaper18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuk3m
Ok, move the hard cap discussion to the beta forums guys.
how bout the debate forum or the general forum?
reaper18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2008, 04:49 AM   #13
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
For the record, hard cap only triggers when jumping, so you can still ramsplide at full effect.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:48 AM   #14
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Think of it as in TFC but without the brickwall effect

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2008, 03:35 PM   #15
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
For the record, hard cap only triggers when jumping, so you can still ramsplide at full effect.
So going down ramps (say the main FD ramp in congestus) will be considerabley slower then? Cause we can't slide down ramps and have to jump down them at perfected angles to get anywhere.
Hammock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2008, 05:07 PM   #16
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek.
It's also ironic that you bypassed the dev journals and just made a thread yourself.
LACK OF QUOTES CONFUSES ME. If you're talking about me, because I have talked about this before, any thread I made on the subject was about a month ago... way before the dev journals were even an idea.

So, it sounds like a soft cap as a hard cap does not allow you, no matter what, to go over that cap. This makes me sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock
So going down ramps (say the main FD ramp in congestus) will be considerabley slower then? Cause we can't slide down ramps and have to jump down them at perfected angles to get anywhere.
Perfected? All you have to do is land somewhere on the ramp while jumping down to gain momentum from it. Concs make this process easier (simply be over the ramp while moving down while your conc goes off and you go some 4000 units of game speed). It's because of this that most 'uphill struggle maps' (SD2, as an example) are much easier on the offense than they should be.

Ronald Reagan

Old 06-12-2008, 06:32 PM   #17
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge
Perfected? All you have to do is land somewhere on the ramp while jumping down to gain momentum from it. Concs make this process easier (simply be over the ramp while moving down while your conc goes off and you go some 4000 units of game speed). It's because of this that most 'uphill struggle maps' (SD2, as an example) are much easier on the offense than they should be.
Yeah if all you want to do is get down, not if you want to get down with any sort of momentum and angle to continue your attack. Land on the ramp too high you hit your head, land on it too low, you don't get the push you might need. Not too many can conc the exact same every single time, sometimes concs take you higher and faster or lower and slower. Why do you think we air strafe before landing? Because we're trying to get the angle we need to bounce down the ramp properly.

Yes in TFC all you had to do was hit the ramp and you'd skid down it. But because we have to jump to get down a ramp it's a whole different element.
Hammock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #18
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge
LACK OF QUOTES CONFUSES ME. If you're talking about me, because I have talked about this before, any thread I made on the subject was about a month ago... way before the dev journals were even an idea.
Haha, don't know how you thought that was directed at you. I was talking to dt.

My Non-official Maps

- Karl Pilkington

Old 06-12-2008, 09:05 PM   #19
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock
Yeah if all you want to do is get down, not if you want to get down with any sort of momentum and angle to continue your attack. Land on the ramp too high you hit your head, land on it too low, you don't get the push you might need. Not too many can conc the exact same every single time, sometimes concs take you higher and faster or lower and slower. Why do you think we air strafe before landing? Because we're trying to get the angle we need to bounce down the ramp properly.

Yes in TFC all you had to do was hit the ramp and you'd skid down it. But because we have to jump to get down a ramp it's a whole different element.
It's not rocket science and doesn't require much of any sort of skill. When you hit a ramp like the following ASCII one:

Code:
\
.\
..\
...\
....\
It doesn't matter if you hit it in any of the \'s because, no matter what, your angle of retreat won't be greater than the top of the ramp since you do not fly directly in this direction: ---->.

In SD2, it doesn't really matter where you hit. The same can be said about most maps, and those maps where it does matter either aren't played or the margin for error is much smaller than you believe.

The word perfected doesn't exactly match the offense in FF. You don't need to perfect your run since the speed and power of the offense more than makes up for it. Skimming momentum, as coined by GreenMushy, makes offense in FF a walk in the park. Anyone that can BHop and conc can run offense effectively in pubs, and anyone that has ever run offense in league play in TFC will be bored to death with how easy offense is in FF.

The only difference is the requirement to DM on some maps... something that isn't exactly a needed skill since a scout/demo team can drape defenses 9 out of 10 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek.
Haha, don't know how you thought that was directed at you. I was talking to dt.
Your post was after mine and I had talked about stuffs like that before, that's why .

Ronald Reagan

Old 06-13-2008, 12:00 AM   #20
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Credge, some of the best FF offense players were in a playtest last night. With the caps on, they said that they actually enjoyed how it challenged them. It wasn't as much of a cakewalk anymore.

The devs are definitely taking Mushy's SMT to heart.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote