Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 03-05-2009, 04:15 PM   #1
The Chill

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
What this game is really lacking...

...is an advertising campaign.

I haven't played TF for a couple of thousand years, and TF2 leaves so much to be desired it's not even a contender, but FF is exactly what TF was meant to be. Unfortunately, there aren't many servers or players to completely and uttery pwn in ways they can't ever hope to comprehend. To fix that, we really should get the word out there.

A community-lead advertising campaign is what FF really, really needs.
The Chill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
When we move to the OB engine, the advertising will start.

Or at least that's what 'they' say.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
Demasu
Official FF Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge View Post
When we move to the OB engine, the advertising will start.

Or at least that's what 'they' say.
We're also currently working on getting out to more gaming sites, or at least have a better relationship with them. Hopefully that'll help until the orange box conversion is out, and then we get the big advertising.

...and you wonder why I love doctors.
Demasu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
MonoXideAtWork
Pub Allstar!
Beta Tester

Class/Position: under en kvinna
Affiliations: Eternal Order, Must be h4x, Mono's happy funtime.
check out the fortress media section, videos on youtube are excellent advertising tools.
MonoXideAtWork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2009, 05:47 PM   #5
~kev~
pmagnvs

Class/Position: Engineer - D
Gametype: Free for all CTF - no stupid clan rules
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demasu View Post
We're also currently working on getting out to more gaming sites, or at least have a better relationship with them. Hopefully that'll help until the orange box conversion is out, and then we get the big advertising.
I posted a list of gaming forums in another thread and asked people to join. So far I have not seen anyone from the FF community show up on any of the forums I posted.

Korey and I started a team fortress and Fortress Forever fan site - and hardly anyone from here has signed up.

I see the lack of popularity as a result of the members not supporting each other.
~kev~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2009, 06:50 PM   #6
46 and 2
I am Redeye for anything.

Class/Position: Def NG
Affiliations: [TALOS]
Is that not what this website is, for the most part?

You would have to be a fan of FF to read the fact you started another website, which seems counterproductive tbh.

I dont think its about people not wanting to be supportive, I just think people are lazy. I am included in that people. I think having one site for FF is a way to build a community, and develop S.O.P.

I understand your intentions, but having another site for me to log on, get to know, remember to go to, is probably not gonna work.

And having more than one website come up from google means that some people may miss the info on this site, which should be considered official.

I would say, if you wanna do work outside this website, to promote FF, maybe a campaign of spamming invites to the FF steam group, or something like that would work.

Just keeps things singular and easy.

What do I know.
46 and 2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2009, 06:55 PM   #7
EquilibriuM
G9-
D&A Member

Class/Position: D Solly,Engy
Gametype: ALL
46 and 2: I Agree with that keep it simple.
Also FF site doesn't have much on front page really, it serves its purpose i supose, but could add more tabs, with usefull links maybe? Could we even link FF steam group to front page maybe? But like 46 said, what do i know.
EquilibriuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2009, 07:20 PM   #8
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EquilibriuM View Post
Could we even link FF steam group to front page maybe?
You mean like it already is? Perhaps you should take your blindfold off when browsing the site.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2009, 09:13 PM   #9
Demasu
Official FF Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoXideAtWork View Post
check out the fortress media section, videos on youtube are excellent advertising tools.
My most viewed video on youtube is the original Fortress-Forever dustbowl video, you know the one, that really old one. I'd be willing to host people's videos on my channel if people wanted, just to get that extra exposure. The more we get out there, the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kev~ View Post
I posted a list of gaming forums in another thread and asked people to join. So far I have not seen anyone from the FF community show up on any of the forums I posted.

Korey and I started a team fortress and Fortress Forever fan site - and hardly anyone from here has signed up.

I see the lack of popularity as a result of the members not supporting each other.
What was that thread, I must have missed it. I'll also check to see if those are on the thread in the beta section.

...and you wonder why I love doctors.
Demasu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2009, 10:57 PM   #10
xks
Exceedingly Correct.

Class/Position: Variable
Gametype: QuakeLive CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I'm not sure it would be a good idea to advertise the game in it's current state. As enjoyable as the game is right now for myself and other experienced players, it's a very different beast for the newcomers and newcomers are what you will attract with any degree of exposure or advertising.
xks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2009, 12:15 AM   #11
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Hai guyz what's goin' on in dis thread?

Evil P.R. guy here. The P.R. machine is ramping up to do some serious work. We have super-secret stuff actually getting done and great stuff like that.

First, if you have questions for me in regards to what we're doing for advertising and our overall strategy, ask here and I'll answer what I can without giving too much away.

Secondly, if you think that we're doing nothing... well, yeah, we really haven't done much for the last few patches. There's been a buttload of organizational problems in FF in the last couple of weeks that makes it hard to shoot videos and show potential reviewers a preview of the patch in a positive light - so we don't.

Lastly, if you guys have any media outlets that you think we ought to try and contact - podcasts (radio interviews), vlogs (video interviews), news sites/gaming blogs, etc., then hit me up with some links right here. I wanna hear about sites like hlgaming.com so we can work on establishing a press relationship and getting news out to them.

The 2.1 preview video was a huge success. It saw 30,000+ views combined across all the sites. We are taking steps to replicate and expand on that success. All I can say is have some faith in us.

(Oh yeah, and if you have any questions you'd like to ask privately, go ahead and pm me or hit me up at ihmhi {[.>AT{/{}} fortress-forever.com)

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2009, 02:42 AM   #12
xks
Exceedingly Correct.

A well edited movie of the NA vs. EU matches would probably be the best way to illustrate the best parts of the game and wow an audience.

With a movie of such quality and being mod authors it would be easy as pie to get a news item on any of the big gaming sites dedicated to FPS gaming.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:33 PM   #13
MonoXideAtWork
Pub Allstar!
Beta Tester

I don't necessarily has to be EU vs NA. (there's a reason we don't play together often, my ping is atrocious across the lake. as yours is here.)

Just more good quality videos, or even virals will generate info. We need to make it a household name, so when people think of a fortress-game, they think of FF, just like you think of Quake 3 when someone says 1v1 dm game.

Whether Quake 3 is the best 1v1 game is completely subjective, but the fact that even if you haven't played, you know about Quake 3 1v1 from CPL, CAL, GGL, OGL, or THE MANY FRAG MOVIES, is what makes it a household name.

Edit: Please Pardon my poor English, I am American. =)

Old 03-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #14
xks
Exceedingly Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoXideAtWork View Post
I don't necessarily has to be EU vs NA. (there's a reason we don't play together often, my ping is atrocious across the lake. as yours is here.)

Just more good quality videos, or even virals will generate info. We need to make it a household name, so when people think of a fortress-game, they think of FF, just like you think of Quake 3 when someone says 1v1 dm game.

Whether Quake 3 is the best 1v1 game is completely subjective, but the fact that even if you haven't played, you know about Quake 3 1v1 from CPL, CAL, GGL, OGL, or THE MANY FRAG MOVIES, is what makes it a household name.

Edit: Please Pardon my poor English, I am American. =)
I mention the EU vs. NA for multiple reasons.

#1 - It's a game between two continents, the idea of "the best vs. the best" springs to mind and it creates a lot of hype just by name. If it was [SDS] vs. [GGM] no one would care, so the EU/NA nature of it gets people interested.

#2 - The EU vs. NA games are the only current 8v8's taking place amongst a high quality bunch of players. Regardless of latency, which isn't to bad if the right servers are selected and alternated.

#3 - These games offer a fantastic taste of what FF has to offer in terms of frantic, intense gameplay and a variety of classes and roles to play.

The latency issue is a minor one in todays world as far as I'm concerned. Having one match on an NA server and one on an EU server really lessens the blow. I remember playing in a trans-atlantic CS championship years ago, the best in the UK against the best in America. At the time the internet connections were far worse and it was a very difficult match to play. These days though, under 100ms is achievable for both sides as long as the servers are well selected.

Random videos of random kills on what most will see as a random mod, or just TFC-Source will not have such a great effect as well produced movies with a message or reason for production.

Your idea of a movie of public skill is a good one, a nice frag movie showing high quality action from multiple perspectives. The EU vs. NA movie is another one that would really work.

Remember all the fanboys that jump on those 360 vs. PS3 vs. PC articles that all the stupid game sites keep posting in order to get more traffic? Well the EU vs. NA thing could have a similar effect since it's a rivalry people are going to care about far more than random clan vs. random clan.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:00 PM   #15
MonoXideAtWork
Pub Allstar!
Beta Tester

Good points!

Old 03-09-2009, 08:52 PM   #16
~kev~
pmagnvs

Class/Position: Engineer - D
Gametype: Free for all CTF - no stupid clan rules
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46 and 2 View Post
Is that not what this website is, for the most part?

You would have to be a fan of FF to read the fact you started another website, which seems counterproductive tbh.
The site Korey and I start is not "just" about FF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46 and 2 View Post
I understand your intentions, but having another site for me to log on, get to know, remember to go to, is probably not gonna work.

And having more than one website come up from google means that some people may miss the info on this site, which should be considered official.
Like I said, the site Korey and I started is not "just" about FF, its about all types of gaming. FF has its own section.

Before you post all of this about a forum being counterproductive, why dont you go take a look at it - http://www.fortresstraining.com/forum/

And then post your "opinion."
~kev~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2009, 11:56 AM   #17
46 and 2
I am Redeye for anything.

Class/Position: Def NG
Affiliations: [TALOS]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kev~ View Post
The site Korey and I start is not "just" about FF.

Like I said, the site Korey and I started is not "just" about FF, its about all types of gaming. FF has its own section.

Before you post all of this about a forum being counterproductive, why dont you go take a look at it - http://www.fortresstraining.com/forum/

And then post your "opinion."

K, I went and looked, and its as I thought. You should not be directing traffic about FF to your site. I see you increasing Your hits, and lots of threads about FF, which I think belong here.

Just link the FF section to this site. What more do you need to do?

Why make a place for threads about everything FF, when one already exists? I just dont get your logic behind that one. Your helping whos community?

And about not being supportive, well, this game is alive due to community support, seems to have done and is doing great without guys coming on the official website, to say they started another website about FF.
46 and 2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2009, 01:30 PM   #18
xks
Exceedingly Correct.

I agree, all kev is doing is diversifying our already meagre community.

He's entitled to make a Fortress based site and there are a few Fortress games to talk about but it would be a lot better if people were coming to this forum to talk about FF.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:21 PM   #19
im2cool4uroflolz
y halo thar

Class/Position: Lord of Random Sentry Placement
Gametype: CTF
When I think 1v1 DM, I think Halo 2.

Also Kev and Korey don't need a TF2 site; Kev believes machinima to be a sign of "an utter shit game that can't hold people's interest so they make this stuff instead"

8D
im2cool4uroflolz is offline   Reply With Quote