sKeeD
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout, Demo, Solly
Gametype: Any
Posts Rated Helpful 21 Times
Send a message via AIM to reaper18
well, maybe if you joined and went
PLAY FF! ITS BETAR THEN TF2 LOLZ! WWW.FORTRESS-FOREVER.COM!

Its not spamming to just mention it and move on, some people will probably consider taking a look, especially if you present it in a civilized manner.
But shun him not for spreading the word, because even if most people are like "FUK U LOL WTF FF SUCKZ" there will be one or two interested, and may stay silent for their own sake.
reaper18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2008, 11:35 PM   #22
Agent_W
The Black Shield

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycarl
Why in hell would you go into a server where people are playing one game and tell them to play another? Obviously they are enjoying TF2 or they wouldn't be playing it. It's like if you joined a football team just so you could tell all the other players how they should play rugby instead because it's SO much better. Then you act all butthurt because they told you to get lost.

You might think you are spreading awareness and doing a public service, but to those on the recieving end you are spamming and annoying everyone.
I suppose you are right, Carl.

If that's the case, then how else would we get others into FF? Because at the current rate now, we'll never get any more people. Awesome games deserve the recognition.

Besides, I like to bust their balls too. Those who play TF2 must really love it, but foolishly, they think it's the REAL thing, the true Team Fortress experience of present-day. It's sorta fun to watch them get sour about it.

But even nowadays, it's often hard to get more than 20 players at any given time on more than one server. Our player base is really LACKING. But by now, this game is a well-known mod. But even still, I'd say over 95% of the TFC community are all into TF2, and it shows just by NUMEROUS, PACKED servers.

I'd take your word with a grain of salt. But my last word is this: I cannot make the decision for them, but I can help them make the right decision.
Agent_W is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2008, 01:51 AM   #23
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
You can go right ahead and ease on up, cowboy.

Maybe taking this crusade a bit too seriously.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:14 AM   #24
fishBurger
get off my lawn

Class/Position: O scout / demo
Gametype: killing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_W
Those who play TF2 must really love it, but foolishly, they think it's the REAL thing, the true Team Fortress experience of present-day.
Maybe they don't give a damn about the true Team Fortress experience of present-day? Maybe they just want to have fun, and TF2 is a well made very fun game.

Let them know about FF as a free mod that was out before TF2, which adds more depth to the fortress they know. Maybe some of em will check it out. Spread awareness of FF, but make them want to play. Don't give them any more reason to think FF is for elitist cocks.

Quote:
It's sorta fun to watch them get sour about it.
It would be more fun to play FF with them, so don't be an asshat.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:30 AM   #25
SmellyCat
Darknight

Quote:
or the player pool has too many nubs.
Nubs are what make a player base. When will people learn this already?
SmellyCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2008, 04:38 AM   #26
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
yes, exactly, people in leagues on FF/TFC think pubs are just nubs. (hehe that ryhmed!) but, PUBS MAKE THE GAME! And yes, TF2 is a VERY fun game, as is FF. DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRUMSTANCES BE AN ASSHAT!!!! just casualy mention it. because in Goldeneye: Source, i found the BIGGEST ASSHAT OF ALL FUCKING TIME, i asked why i dont have a crosshair, and they were complete elist cockheads about it. it really turned me off the mod. i went and joined another server, and they were less asshat-ish, so do that. JUST DO NOT BE A JERK ABOUT IT, IT GIVES THE MOD/FF A BAD NAME!!!!
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2008, 04:51 AM   #27
CaLeB-
Whitest Kid You Know
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Quote:
For the last word, I first played TFC at the age of 13! Thirteen!!! I was a KID playing that game.
You think that was young? I started playing in '98 when I was 5.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:56 AM   #28
reaper18
sKeeD
D&A Member
Beta Tester

i started at the age of 8 in '98

Old 03-24-2008, 06:38 AM   #29
[AE] 82694
Retired FF Staff

I was 30 in 98 when I started playing.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:15 PM   #30
Agent_W
The Black Shield

First, I'm surprised CaLeB and reaper18 actually got a hold of that game at such a young age! Wow! Back then for me, it was mostly the old legacy Nintendo consoles.

To fishBurger: I usually make fun of my sloppy TF2 play(remember a previous note of scoring in the middle of my team WITHOUT trying) but I really don't try to come across as an elitist cock. Many TF2 players were former TFC, so in many ways, I'm no different than them. I would love to see them in FF playing with us, we can use more players like them, honestly!

To SmellyCat: I just wanted to clear up an ambiguous point in your response. You said that nubs is what makes a player base...but I always thought it was NEWBS. You already know there's a difference between that and 'noob'. What I meant by 'nubs' is the 'noob' variant, which signifies dumb, ignorant players rather than new ones. Like I said before, no wonder why I can excel above players like that without even trying. But I validate that newbs are indeed the foundation of the player base.

To greenday: I was handling the ordeal fine. I never made fun of TF2 in anyway to the TF2 players. I usually reserve that for here lol. But I only gave positive info for FF and really, no negative comments on TF2. Besides, once they check out FF, I'm sure they'll have their turn to make fund of TF2, as I did.

In summary, I am one Hell of a FPS gamer, but I am not one that boasts big about it, although I like to joke around with it. But at my age, I've played a lot of different games in my time. I've played video games longer than a good deal of those TF2 players has been alive! But then, I'm sure that 82694 has been playing longer than I'VE been alive lol.
Agent_W is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2008, 02:13 PM   #31
SmellyCat
Darknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyCat
Nubs are what make a player base. When will people learn this already?
Nubs, mostly. It's rare to meet someone who's willing to ask questions/listen to advice from my experience. I guess that's why those people have to be treated with such care.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:16 PM   #32
myersjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by [AE] 82694
I was 30 in 98 when I started playing.
Wow zip, i thought you were older than me. I didnt start playing FPS's until like 2005. I was like 38..i got a late start.
myersjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2008, 03:21 PM   #33
myersjr

Quote:
First, I'm surprised CaLeB and reaper18 actually got a hold of that game at such a young age! Wow! Back then for me, it was mostly the old legacy Nintendo consoles.

In summary, I am one Hell of a FPS gamer, but I am not one that boasts big about it, although I like to joke around with it. But at my age, I've played a lot of different games in my time. I've played video games longer than a good deal of those TF2 players has been alive! But then, I'm sure that 82694 has been playing longer than I'VE been alive lol.
Here to all of the 30+ year old gamers..
myersjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2008, 03:24 PM   #34
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

I think it's sad that there are still so many people comparing TF2 to TFC and FF...because to me, it's pretty obvious it was designed to be a different game, for a different and new crowd.

TF2 was designed and released at the EXACT right time, because the gameplay caters to the average gamer. FF does not. Simple fact, TF2 will always be above FF because of marketing, design, and resources. They're releasing new maps left and right, we're lucky to get one every month or so (excluding skill maps...wish people would focus on normal maps instead of skill maps). We talk about organizing specific teams to work on things, they've already done it. This mod is great, but it won't thrive in the world of TF2.

You can't expect to jump into a server, and start an argument about another game when clearly the people playing like what they're doing. The time for us to strike and act is passed. We wiffed on an opportunity, and I don't know if this community can get it back. Good luck with that.
Rutabeggar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2008, 04:31 PM   #35
reaper18
sKeeD
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Glad to see some optimism in these forums eh?

Old 03-24-2008, 04:57 PM   #36
Hoopajoo

Affiliations: ( GoodFellas . )
FF has mostly nubs too. Don't hate on the nubs.

TF2 does take alot of strategy/teamwork, although the gameplay itself is lame as fuck.
Hoopajoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2008, 08:18 PM   #37
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper18
Glad to see some optimism in these forums eh?

Optimism only goes so far...I've been pretty optimistic since release, and used to be dead set on ever playing TF2. I'm tired of waiting on the devs to pull something out of their hat to really get this mod on track, no offense to them, they've done a great job with the limited resources and the circumstances.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:12 AM   #38
reaper18
sKeeD
D&A Member
Beta Tester

but why wait for the devs? I once heard the phrase "If you wait for something long enough, itll come to you"
Thats wrong.
You have to take initiatize to reach your personal goals.
So, if you want to see FF succeed then do what you can, spread the word.
I for one introduce FF to new members on the o-t forums, ive gotten quite a few people to play, and am not done, im pretty sure a lot of others have done something similar or the same.
Sometimes for sucess you have to take baby steps, and if your willing to take those steps and give it time, those steps will turn into a walk, then to a run, then to a sprint, and eventually things will be awsome.
Of course, this mod will die, all of them do, but we shouldnt let it die by 'waiting' for the devs to do something, because if we do, it will.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:26 AM   #39
SmellyCat
Darknight

Long story short, get playing FF you slags!

Old 03-25-2008, 05:35 AM   #40
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper18
but why wait for the devs? I once heard the phrase "If you wait for something long enough, itll come to you"
Thats wrong.
You have to take initiatize to reach your personal goals.
So, if you want to see FF succeed then do what you can, spread the word.
I for one introduce FF to new members on the o-t forums, ive gotten quite a few people to play, and am not done, im pretty sure a lot of others have done something similar or the same.
Sometimes for sucess you have to take baby steps, and if your willing to take those steps and give it time, those steps will turn into a walk, then to a run, then to a sprint, and eventually things will be awsome.
Of course, this mod will die, all of them do, but we shouldnt let it die by 'waiting' for the devs to do something, because if we do, it will.
It only goes so far...most of the people I know have played both FF and TF2 and would rather play TFC that either one of them, but are even less inclined to play FF. Spreading the word can only go so far, at the moment, what we can tap into is well, drying up. It's just a fact that the game has developed fast enough to be fun, but too slow to keep up with TF2. Marketing should have been a top goal. period. Why will people now leave TF2, an established, well thought out, well coordinated, well made game to play FF? Try to answer that, and when you can, read it to yourself and see if it's a reason the average gamer will legitimately consider. Why the average gamer? Because we have all the "elite" gamers over here scaring away said average gamers.

Don't tell me it's not true, because there has NEVER been a moment when I've been in an FF server where a new person has come in, asks a basic question, and is practically ridiculed out of the server because he is a "nub". Way to go smarty pants, your game is so l337 that you can't bring more people in to play with you. That's right, you're killing an exceptional mod, congrats! You're the bane of FF's existence.