Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > Tips and Tutorials

Old 12-24-2007, 12:57 AM   #61
AcidReniX

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Btw thanks shock i think the account works (if this post went through then it does).

As for an update on this, its on hold at the moment as a few trial versions of products i'm using have expired. I just need to _purchase_ the product then i can continue.

There probably will be revised versions of some of the tutorials as well as new ones. As I'm not a pro at making tutorials I take into account user feedback such as if someone actually learned something or not. To do this I need feedback from the tutorials which i get a lot of (from the people they are targeted at) in private messages and comments. If there is no feedback, I assume the video is straight forward and clear and the people who have watched it have learned something from it.

If anyone has a request for a tutorial, just write it here, leave a comment on YT or S6 or private message me here.

One other thing, this is as much tutorials to teach people as it is to show off the game capabilities. You can quite happily suggest a tutorial that you already know, but think looks impressive and might attract people to the game, I'm 99% sure I can perform the manouver/shot and guide people through what it is and what it is useful for, even if I can't teach it very effectively.
AcidReniX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2007, 05:00 AM   #62
Bakez

Watched all the tutorials and although I already know the things you are teaching I thought they were great. Really good advert for the game. The only thing I would suggest is that perhaps rerecording the commentary again. Perhaps write a script beforehand to make sure you get in all the keypoints you want to say and use the right words, although I do realise how much effort that would take.

I hope these videos can be used well and placed somewhere where we know almost all players will know about them. Out of interest were these done off your own back or specifically for the dev team?
Bakez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2007, 06:05 AM   #63
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Alright today a guy was asking me how to aim his Sg
I guess you could do one with the functions of the Sg

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2007, 09:14 PM   #64
AcidReniX

allthough aiming techniques is not something I want to cover, as my aim in general is quite dire compared to a lot of players and i've generally relied on movement to keep me in with the better players, i guess a few things could be covered such as sensitivity, aiming patterns and the spray range of each weapon.

The reason I don't record a script is because its actually less fluent with a script than without. Its suprisingly difficult to play the game whilst describing what your doing. Its even harder to play the game to show what you've written in a script.

I'm sure someone else would be much more suited to the job, especially for the basic tutorials as although I'm good at the game, my presentation skills lack somewhat.

Just trying to do my bit for the community.

I've been playing TF2 quite a bit in the last week, and it is actually a great game (as long as you don't compare it to FF or TFC). My heart however has always and always will be with fast paced frantic games and since this is the best one out, I'm determined to do everything I can to help form a new thriving community.

Publicity is the only way this mod is going to kick off. You can change all the features of the game but at the end of the day, if I read a description of counter-strike, I wouldn't be even remotely interested in playing it. The only reason why I would play it would be because people are mentioning it as an awesome game... a lot of people.

What made me progress as a TFC player wasn't only watching people in game pull off these amazing maneuvers. I watched a whole load of videos, demos, read some stuff, heard things from word of mouth.

The graphics of the game aren't what people need to boast about. As hard as the developers have worked on them, they are not amazing. Don't get me wrong, they are good, and despite what people say about theming the graphics, they do fit together nicely (by theme I mean a pirate running around a power facility).

The small effects are cool for new players for about 10 seconds, then they are just part of the game. They hinder existing players as they are disorientating.

The main thing this game has to offer is gameplay. That has always been the mod's main focus, and that is what it was aiming for. Half the reason why FF was made is because people heard TF2 was removing grenades, movement speed and techniques, fov, gameplay styles and the list goes on...

I know I've kind of, hijacked my own thread, but i'd rather not make another new thread about how to help this game thrive. That implies that the game is doomed and discourages players from even trying it.

The simple message is think what YOU can personally do to help this community. Whether that means just simply playing the game as much as posible, creating a website/clan or making media to advertise the mod. But please, think about where your skills lie, if you insist of making a low quality, out of sync skills movie with nothing special in it and a blue screen with white font with the words "FF pwns TF2" as your splash screen, then don't upload it.

I play a lot of other games, and I always end up mentioning fortress forever in some way or form. I play some CS and I use shotguns to kill people. I often get a lot of kills and people are laughing saying wtf? I turn around and say I'm a fortress forever player, I only know how to use shotguns effectively. They ask what is Fortress Forever... and you can see where this is going.

But yea, tutorials are my other way of advertising this mod. Quake 3 trick jumping is great to watch, but when I tried to learn it, I got just past the basic, self explanatory stuff and wasn't really able to learn the rest. I gave up and moved on. Think about that one too.
AcidReniX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2007, 11:10 PM   #65
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidReniX
allthough aiming techniques is not something I want to cover, as my aim in general is quite dire compared to a lot of players and i've generally relied on movement to keep me in with the better players, i guess a few things could be covered such as sensitivity, aiming patterns and the spray range of each weapon.
By aiming I meant, setting up the Sentry gun aim at the direction you wanted at. Also how to det/dismantle a sentry Gun. How to upgrade, and a little explanation about each Sentry gun level. Also you could mention that as an engy you must Check for Spy so they do not Sabotage it.

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-25-2007, 05:23 AM   #66
Bakez

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoKill----->
By aiming I meant, setting up the Sentry gun aim at the direction you wanted at. Also how to det/dismantle a sentry Gun. How to upgrade, and a little explanation about each Sentry gun level. Also you could mention that as an engy you must Check for Spy so they do not Sabotage it.
Maybe but you don't really need a tutorial for aiming/building your SG. It isn't exactly a skill is it. I think if people can't work out how to aim it then it represents a design flaw in the user friendliness of the system.
Bakez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2007, 10:48 PM   #67
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
It is a skill, because often times you have to aim it in a specific way in order for it to be effective. Say if you build a SG at the top of the main ramp in Aardvark, well, you'd want to aim it downwards a bit, in the direction that the ramp is, or if there are 2 entrances that need to be covered, the SG needs to be about halfway between the one and the other, like on monkey when your SG is placed opposite of the flag above the ladder. You don't want your SG to just face to the left, because there is a right entrance, and at the same time, you dont want your sg facing just a small amount downward as there are 2 more entrances below the main level.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2007, 09:33 AM   #68
MegaTurtle
Wiki Standards Team
Wiki Team

Gametype: CTF
Great guides, keep it up.
MegaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2007, 11:57 AM   #69
AfterShock
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 45 Times
I'd like to chuck this out there aswell, it's a great warsow bunnyhopping tutorial video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y6t0...eature=related
AfterShock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2007, 04:32 PM   #70
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Holy Crap WTF is that game? I wanna play that so bad now! Awesome tutorial TBH!

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 12-30-2007, 12:50 AM   #71
MegaTurtle
Wiki Standards Team
Wiki Team

Umm, if you read even a little bit you'd know that the game is called Warsow and is available at http://www.warsow.net/?page=home
It's a great game, try it. Sad thing is I never see many people online, a little less than FF.

Last edited by MegaTurtle; 12-30-2007 at 02:14 AM.
MegaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2007, 03:08 AM   #72
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Err, it's a little too fast paced for me, and too unreal tournament style for my liking. While it looks fun, it certainly doesn't live up to FF or TFC.

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 01-08-2008, 07:56 PM   #73
3allz

i remember i made a bhop tutorial demo once using that big circles technique . fuck knows where it has gone.

Nice vids though, wasnt anything there i didnt know but im sure loads of people will find use of them. Also, im sure its a good incentive to get more people playing!

Last edited by 3allz; 01-08-2008 at 08:28 PM.
3allz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2008, 04:49 PM   #74
SkullBash
333 (only half evil)

A little late but I haven't posted in a while... THOSE are Some of the best tutorial videos I have ever seen. Well spoken and demonstated. Definitely have learned some improvements.
SkullBash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2008, 08:11 PM   #75
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

He's got a new video up! Woo!

Old 01-18-2008, 04:55 PM   #76
SkullBash
333 (only half evil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desyphur
He's got a new video up! Woo!
I was lucky enough to be on the server when the new vid was being made. I was just kind of hit and miss with conc aiming and that tut helps.
SkullBash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2008, 05:24 PM   #77
own3r
Custom mapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arx
Tutorial 6: Flame Push
(Mediocre)

In this tutorial I demonstrate the Pyro's flame thrower push effect. The flamethrower has a slight kickback to it. You can use this kick back in conjunction with jumping to help you accelerate quite fast over wide open spaces.
--------------------------------------------------
Take the engineer's rail gun and do the same thing firing shots continuously :P
own3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2008, 07:17 PM   #78
Arx
AcidReniX

Never knew that one ;p
Might test it out a bit later.
Arx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2008, 08:16 PM   #79
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
My favorite is a series of backwards IC jumps. You can go across a yard fast and take very little damage. It seem when you are IC jumping backwards that you are still inside the shockwave but outside the damage radius.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:40 PM   #80
Hype
Don't believe the hype
D&A Member

Class/Position: Both
Send a message via MSN to Hype
Site is down

Quote:
Originally Posted by stage6
tage6.com has been shut down. Thank you for supporting the service.

We created Stage6 with the mission of empowering content creators and viewers to discover a new kind of video experience. Ultimately, the continued operation of Stage6 was a very expensive enterprise that required an enormous amount of attention and resources that we at DivX are not in a position to continue to provide. There are a lot of other details involved, but at the end of the day it's really as simple as that.

The DivX experience will continue, of course. Every day new DivX Certified devices arrive on the market making it easy to move video beyond the PC. Products powered by DivX Connected, our new initiative that lets users stream video, photos, music and Internet services from the PC to the TV, are hitting retail outlets. We remain committed to empowering content creators to deliver high quality video to a wide audience, and we'll continue to offer services that will make it easy to find videos online in the DivX format.

It's been a wild ride, and none of it would have been possible without the support of our users. Thank you for making Stage6 everything that it was.
It whould be smart to find a new place to upload the vid's that where uploaded on stage6.