Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 04-15-2008, 04:45 AM   #1
AWPerator

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Explain why Engineers should be able to do grenade jump.

In TFC, engineer cannot survive a nade jump with a hand-held grenade. He dies even before he lands. In FF2.0, an engineer can jump with HH frag nade to incredible height, take fall damage and still have 10 health left. The result is that engineers can build sentry gun at normally inaccessible places. I remember back in the old days of TFC, I had to rely on EMP nades to reach only 60% of that jump height.

Is this an intended feature, or is it an unforeseen consequence of nerfing frag grenade?
AWPerator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2008, 05:04 AM   #2
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

Class/Position: I'm an Offensive Defensive person
Gametype: Fortress Forever
Affiliations: I'm a merc, only thing that talks is money
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWPerator
In TFC, engineer cannot survive a nade jump with a hand-held grenade. He dies even before he lands. In FF2.0, an engineer can jump with HH frag nade to incredible height, take fall damage and still have 10 health left. The result is that engineers can build sentry gun at normally inaccessible places. I remember back in the old days of TFC, I had to rely on EMP nades to reach only 60% of that jump height.

Is this an intended feature, or is it an unforeseen consequence of nerfing frag grenade?
In TFC I was able to do a grenade jump as an engi. I was also able to do rail gun grenade jumps.

I didn't have alot of health left, but I still survived. It all comes down to timing really.
Gwarsbane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2008, 05:19 AM   #3
AWPerator

Just to be sure, you are referring to hand-held grenade jump with a frag grenade, correct?

Old 04-15-2008, 07:50 AM   #4
Firefox11

Class/Position: O&D: Pyro, Sniper
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: FF.AvD [FF AvD/ID guild]
You could also ask for a boost in non FF servers. I've done that multiple times in sandbowl_r to build a teleporter inside one of those CP3 buildings.

Also, Dispenser jumps > frag jumps, just by how cool it is.
Firefox11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2008, 08:10 AM   #5
Player
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Gwarsbane, you cannot rail gun jump in TFC, and furthermore, you cannot hand-held gren (frag) jump in TFC...you will die.
Player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2008, 09:00 AM   #6
Firefox11

Class/Position: O&D: Pyro, Sniper
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: FF.AvD [FF AvD/ID guild]
TFC Engineer Mobility Skills:
- Grenade Jumping (dropped grenade)
- EMP Jumping (hand held and dropped)
- Dispenser Jumping (20% charge or so)
- SG Jumping (Don't remember exactly, but Lv3 would be too much)

FF off: Pipe assist, rocket assist, Sniper assist, dispenser/SG assist, frag assist.

That's all I think.

Also, I think in FF the Engineer can withstand more damage than in TFC due to the armor. And I don't see what's wrong on building SGs in strange places, it makes the game more interesting...
Firefox11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2008, 09:17 AM   #7
AWPerator

I have nothing against engineers being to build at hard-to-reach places either. The keyword, however, is "hard". These places should to accessible only to experienced or smart engineers who make use of teammates, being able to nade jump without killing themselves, or even SG jump. As it is in FF 2.0 right now, engineers can reach high places as easily as scouts can do a hand-held conc jump. This skill is relatively easy to master. Plus, they don't need help from anyone. They can pull that off alone at any time. Perhaps we should raise the challenge level to somewhere near TFC level?

Old 04-15-2008, 10:26 AM   #8
t0H0

I don't see the problem with nade jumping engies. It makes the class more mobile somehow.
t0H0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2008, 02:11 PM   #9
EngeeMan
Banned

As a side note, I remember when they changed something (either weakening the engee or making the grenades more powerful) in TFC and made engees die to a held grenade. Previously to that, engineers could actually just hold a primed HE grenade to jump and survive, including the fall damage. It was much easier to get on top of things in badlands/crossover2. More evidence of the dumbing down of TFC.
EngeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2008, 02:13 PM   #10
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
I never HHd in TFC but I grenade jumped all the time. it was rather easy and I still got to lots of crazy places.

I think with the engy's health and his resulting health, if he want to build an sg in some backwards ass place go for it. He's earned it if he can live long enough to build and upgrade it there (wherever there is).
BinaryLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2008, 05:51 PM   #11
Meathook

Send a message via AIM to Meathook Send a message via MSN to Meathook
Quote:
I have nothing against engineers being to build at hard-to-reach places either.
and what about spies not being able to do their job?
Meathook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2008, 05:58 PM   #12
dys
I am the nip to your bud.

^ Spies can HH nade jump already.

I think the the answer is in the first post. One grenade simply doesn't kill an engi anymore, unlike in tfc where a carefully placed nade did kill him. Whether it's due to a weaker grenade or more armor on the engi, i dunno.
dys is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2008, 07:10 PM   #13
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

Quote:
Just to be sure, you are referring to hand-held grenade jump with a frag grenade, correct?
I never held grenades to do jumps. I always tossed them out and jumped that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player
Gwarsbane, you cannot rail gun jump in TFC, and furthermore, you cannot hand-held gren (frag) jump in TFC...you will die.
I'm pretty sure you can, or at least you could when I last played it, which I admit was a long time ago now. But I do remember getting boosts from the railgun.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:00 PM   #14
Agent Buckshot Moose
Wiki Standards Team
Wiki Team

Class/Position: Sniper/Demoman
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: :e0: Co-leader
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Can't railgun jump in TFC. You might have been playing on a TFC Tech server, which was a server-side mod (sort of like NeoTF) that added a shockwave effect to the railgun that allowed you to jump.
Agent Buckshot Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2008, 09:23 PM   #15
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Buckshot Moose
Can't railgun jump in TFC. You might have been playing on a TFC Tech server, which was a server-side mod (sort of like NeoTF) that added a shockwave effect to the railgun that allowed you to jump.
could have been, like I said it was a long while ago that I stopped playing.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:03 PM   #16
EngeeMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarsbane
could have been, like I said it was a long while ago that I stopped playing.
It absolutely was. Saying that you "railgun jumped" in TFC is like saying that you "flamethrower jumped" or "wrench jumped" in TFC. There was no such thing except on hacked/modded servers. Which is pretty pointless because I played on Sillyzone most of the time and saying my favorite strategy in TFC was to turn into a giant fish and fly through the air hitting people with a crowbar would be pretty irrelevant to any conversations about non-modded games.
EngeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2008, 01:48 PM   #17
Vicious
Nothing left to believe in

Quote:
I have nothing against engineers being to build at hard-to-reach places either. The keyword, however, is "hard". These places should to accessible only to experienced or smart engineers who make use of teammates, being able to nade jump without killing themselves, or even SG jump. As it is in FF 2.0 right now, engineers can reach high places as easily as scouts can do a hand-held conc jump. This skill is relatively easy to master. Plus, they don't need help from anyone. They can pull that off alone at any time. Perhaps we should raise the challenge level to somewhere near TFC level?
How is it not a learned skill? How is ANYTHING beyond walking and shooting a "given skill"? You have to be taught it to do it. Even concing is a learned skill that's perfected. There are only a handfull of players that run around and look for things like that and find them. They then use it in a pub and then the next thing you know, everyone is using it.

I remember when the detdispenser bind was a rarity in TFC. I was one of like 2-3 engies that I knew that knew how to use it, or what it even was. Then, after telling a bunch of pubbers over and over and over again (as I'm sure many others did), it became common knowledge.

Do you really wanna know why the engy is stronger in FF than TFC? There are 2 reasons:

1.) Because the scout is faster, the medic is WAY stronger, and the spy can sab. This ties in to reason 2.

2.) This is not TFC. Is it a remake of it? Yes. I will say that (as I always have) but it is, by no means, the same game. It's a buffed version of it IMO, but not the same. All the classes are stronger than they once were, they're improved versions of their former selves. They ALL have spiffy new things to them and it's part of the evolution of a game.

So, to me, you saying "Why does the engineer have the ability to do this?" is kind've like looking at Super Mario 3 and asking "So why can he fly now?"
Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote