Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 11-30-2006, 07:24 PM   #1
o_smack

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
First Impressions of a new Beta Tester

Hi all. I was cleared by Schtoofa to give some impressions on my first week of beta testing. I've played in two playtests so far, checked out all the "finished" maps thoroughly (by finished I mean structurally playable; I don't mean to imply that they are 100% polished because I honestly don't know if any are or which ones), experimented with all the classes and so forth, and I wanted to share my thoughts.

This post is directed as much at the dev team as at the general community. After reading jesse's latest journal entry, for instance, and comparing it with my impressions of the beta, I feel like he's probably looking at things from a very detail-oriented perspective, as someone who's sweated over the game for many months now and is focused on all the little details that are driving him nuts.

Let me say, when I first fired up the beta I was honestly amazed at how close to finished the game seems to be. All the player models seem finished, with the sole exception of the HW's head, all the weapons work, all the animations are good. You can totally play this game and have a ton of fun. The player movement is in excellent working order, hh, bhop, rocket jumps and all that, work just about exactly how they're supposed to, if not more so.

The most finished maps at this point seem to be well, shutdown2 and dustbowl, and my impressions of all three are overwhelmingly positive. Dustbowl in particular knocked my eyes out, since attack/defend is my thing as many of you know.

I have a very ordinary comp by today's standards: P3 2.8, radeon 9700 pro, 786mb ram. The game runs very nicely on my comp without downgrading my gfx settings. The only lag or slowdowns I have experienced so far came in a 8v8 dustbowl playtest, especially at gate 2 things bogged down quite a bit. I would compare it to what playing dustbowl on WON TFC used to be like. Anyway, as the dev team says, net optimization is yet to come so I'm sure that will be improved.

I can tell you this: playing this beta only a handful of times has re-energized my desire to play. I was all but retired from TFC but now I am again planning to map for this game, to bring my clan 3v forward into the game (or make another one), and even to *GASP* learn how to bhop properly since everyone else in the playtest is dusting the shit out of me (bhop is FAST in FF).

To sum up: FF is closer than you all thought, it looks awesome, and if enough people jump on board it's going to be the huge success we all thought it would be. Or at least, if it's not it won't be because the dev team hasn't produced a great game, because in my opinion it's going to be.
o_smack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2006, 07:33 PM   #2
o_repair man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack
The most finished maps at this point seem to be well, shutdown2 and dustbowl, and my impressions of all three are overwhelmingly positive. Dustbowl in particular knocked my eyes out, since attack/defend is my thing as many of you know.
You forgot cz2 as well, which is (IMO) the best looking map so far.
o_repair man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2006, 07:34 PM   #3
o_smack

I should have mentioned that cz2 was the one map I haven't even looked at once yet, it wasn't in either of the tests and I wasn't motivated to look at it cuz it's one of my very least favorite TFC maps.

Old 11-30-2006, 07:55 PM   #4
o_dr zoidberg

wants terr beta =(

Ich hopez zat uohFuohF relezez in dezempcher, unt if nicht hopez ze Trepid_Fuhrers vill leacht ze uohFuohF

Alzo.. hearziz makez Zoidberg eine schappy Pandza
ICH VILL GAZ ZE INFIDELZ ZAT DOZ NICHT KEEPSCHT ZINE VORDZ!! *Eats worms* MMH!!! VORMZ!!!

Edit: PANDZAR FAUSHT MACHT FREIR!

Last edited by o_dr zoidberg; 11-30-2006 at 08:01 PM.
o_dr zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2006, 08:08 PM   #5
o_dirkpitt

I can't wait to see the little differences. I love tfc and don't want anything too major to change. I think the FF team understands tf better than valve ever will which is why FF will blow tf2 out of the water.
o_dirkpitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2006, 08:11 PM   #6
o_frz

It so close ©Wii!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets hope we will see some more ingame/gameplay vids soon? (And a leaked beta on piratebay :P)
o_frz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2006, 08:15 PM   #7
o_arsenalfc

I have a couple of questions.. What, if any, are your critiques at this point barring work that is unfinished? And what did you mean by learn to bhop properly? I thought it would be a relatively easy thing to pick up for players comfortable with tfc bhopping, which I'm assuming you are/were.

Also what resolution are you playing with?
o_arsenalfc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2006, 08:24 PM   #8
o_saberwolf

Smack, I would like to thank you very much for making this post, I'm sure it has and will excite every one who has and who will read it (I know it excited me! ).
o_saberwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2006, 08:30 PM   #9
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
OMGZ HES RUBBING OUR NOSES IN IT!!!!

yeah, i agree with everything he said, apart from the attention to detail thing. i do think it still needs the 'polish' and fluidity that could be achieved. for example, as awesome as the AC is at the moment, its still rather jerky and stuff.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:36 PM   #10
o_frenchtoast

Screens or it didn't happen.
o_frenchtoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2006, 08:41 PM   #11
o_mescalito

Those are very good news. What "bought" me was that the movement is in working order. That's all i wanted to hear.

also, VER R ZE SCREENZ JOO LIEING BASTARD LOL~!1/
o_mescalito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2006, 08:47 PM   #12
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchToast
Screens or it didn't happen.
you've got AC screens

Old 11-30-2006, 08:56 PM   #13
o_smack

No, in fact, I can't bhop in TFC either believe it or not. My TFC background is unusual; I played almost nothing but attack/defend and very little CTF. In truth, I am a poor TF player overall, and playing in this beta so far has reminded me of that and really made me want to get better.

Any critiques I have will be shared with the dev team as they should be, but I am telling the truth when I say that they are small matters in comparison with the feeling I have about the overall product at this stage, which is extremely positive.

I play on 1440x900, widescreen monitor.

I don't find the AC to be choppy at all, I think it's sweet, the firing operation has a tweak that makes it a little more difficult to just hold down mouse1 and spray & pray. But it's probably not my place to give up the details on that.

Old 11-30-2006, 09:35 PM   #14
o_geokill----->

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
So how did you got accepted into the beta Smack?
Any hints

Man I can't wait to play FF
o_geokill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2006, 09:51 PM   #15
o_tyrus

This is what I call an update. What Smack said above, the dev's updates usually seem to pick out details that aren't very interesting. However, from a simple players point of view, this is the type of update we get.

Awesome man, and thanks alot!
o_tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2006, 09:57 PM   #16
o_scale

Yup thats something i also cant figure out,
why they accept people with 75 posts and no TF knowledge.

I on the other had have asm knowledge and anti cheat knowledge, i worked with the enemy down anti cheat team.
And done a ton of beta's and i dont get accepted. (like prolly many others).

Oww well welcome to life.
o_scale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2006, 10:02 PM   #17
o_darksoul

lolol
o_darksoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2006, 10:02 PM   #18
o_frenchtoast

Probably 'cause you're pompous and crying over not getting in, as well as insulting other beta testers based on their post count.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:17 PM   #19
o_smack

1. I have a hot ass

2. I make a mean pot of chili

3. I'm a good kisser

4. I'm nice to my mom

5. 4 out of 5 dentists recommend me after every meal

That enough for you?

Old 11-30-2006, 10:18 PM   #20
o_frenchtoast

Damn, I only have a 3/5 recommendation. That's why.