Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 02-13-2005, 08:41 PM   #1
o_zsleek7

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Easiest way to figure out the dimensions of HL1 maps?

Say your trying to recreate the map cj2 and you are trying to make the portal the same width and height, but all you have is the .bsp.

The only way to solve this that I know of is setting up two displays side by side and keep compiling & running your map until it looks the same as the hl1 map.

Is there an easier way?

BTW - not remaking cj2, just wish to know the sizes that have worked best in previous tfc maps.
o_zsleek7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2005, 08:45 PM   #2
o_frenchtoast

If you have the HL1 version, I think there is a program that converts HL1 versions into the Hammer files, so give that a shot, or just trial and error, or just make one that looks good with the rest of your map.
o_frenchtoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2005, 09:51 PM   #3
o_[wtf?]chemical burn

WinBSPC 1.2
http://www.game-edit.org/files/index...=winbspc12.zip

Converts a .bsp file into a .map file. From here you can load it into hammer and look at the dimentions. I suggest then adding the entire map to it's own visgroup so you can toggle it visible/not visible and start re-creating from there. Remember the .map file it produces will have lots of brush errors etc, so don't try compiling it.
o_[wtf?]chemical burn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2005, 01:23 PM   #4
o_xstioph

Quote:
Originally Posted by [WTF?
Chemical Burn]WinBSPC 1.2
http://www.game-edit.org/files/index...=winbspc12.zip

Converts a .bsp file into a .map file. From here you can load it into hammer and look at the dimentions. I suggest then adding the entire map to it's own visgroup so you can toggle it visible/not visible and start re-creating from there. Remember the .map file it produces will have lots of brush errors etc, so don't try compiling it.
I'd suggest you grab BSPtwoMap instead of WinBSPC... Which can break down pretty much any .bsp.. I haven't found a map that wasn't possible to break down.. And it gets more textures right etc. etc. WinBSPC tend to crash and can't handle many of the newer/bigger maps..

o_xstioph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2005, 04:23 PM   #5
o_zsleek7

Thanks for the help guys - Xstioph the program you listed worked on a couple maps that WinSBSP did not.
Also thats a badass game in your avatar Xstioph, I still play it sometimes on my computer with a friend - they should make it playable over the internet somehow ( that would kick ass! ), one of the best multiplayer games of all time imo.
o_zsleek7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2005, 09:48 PM   #6
o_xstioph

<OT> lol.. Thanks, first comment I got about it here on these boards.... You know there are some emulators that support network play? But the real thing is best though! I'm getting a 4-player adapter this week.. Peace </OT>
o_xstioph is offline   Reply With Quote