Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 01-15-2007, 03:51 AM   #1
o_sta_sirtiger

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
ff_midair2_r2

Howdy y'all'
Well I've been kind of bored lately so I decided to do a map port for Fortress Forever. Midair2 is already being done by Bingo Bango, so I decided to do the other version of it, midair2_r2. What's the difference? midair2_r2 is slightly bigger than midair2. So as you might already know, midair_r2 is very plain and boring. To avoid that ugliness, I decided to make a tasty version for FF (oh I love the source engine, so many possibilities). Just in case you don't remember how the old version looks, here's a screen shot:

Now, the new look:

As you notice, there's several things that might seem different from the the tfc version. The glass-view-tower will be for civilian spectators (just like mulch_dm, and I'm thinking about adding 2 more of these spawns in the middle [where the meters are located]). There's a roof, which will bring the argument that soldiers will hit there, but don't worry, you'll be able to go through them without a problem. The environment, also, is a huge change. Everything else will remain the same, instant dead upon falling from the platform. I plan to tweak the glass a bit, add some new effects, a 3D sky box, add an air shot meter (current version has the speed meter) and some other things I have in mind. You'll be able to play around it once I polish it off 90% (can't be 100%, don't have FF ). Special thanks to the following people:

Caesium - Temporarily use of the speed meter texture
Gator - I used several of his custom textures
Bingo Bango - Constructive criticism and ideas, also inspired me to do this, Jpeg image quality, lol?
Mervaka - Jpeg image quality, lol?
Circuitous - Jpeg image quality, lol?
dr Zaius - I used several of his custom textures
PVKII Mod - Water texture

I would appreciate feedback so I can polish it off to the likes of the community. Thank you and enjoy!

edit:
There should be a 8 screen shots from the new version, imageshack is being fucking gay. Let me know if you can't see the 8th.

edit2:
8th screen shot fixed

Last edited by o_sta_sirtiger; 01-15-2007 at 04:04 AM.
o_sta_sirtiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2007, 04:59 AM   #2
o_ma|2io

Umm can you say shown up? Don't use that name though change it to something else
o_ma|2io is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2007, 05:05 AM   #3
o_ian.de

looks gorgeous.

Put some time into this, no wonder you got frustrated when bingo released this map the other day before you could get your version out.
o_ian.de is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2007, 05:08 AM   #4
o_psycnet

Well this isn't a pissing war in the map section here, so keep the attacks on one another to a minimum, this ain't no fuckin' pre-school like Chat

That said, I'm glad you're useful for something. This map is pretty spiffy. Good job

Rethink the skybox perhaps. It is 1/3 of the viewable map after all
o_psycnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2007, 05:10 AM   #5
o_sta_sirtiger

I completely agree with you PsYcNeT, I've tone down my attitude lately .

Old 01-15-2007, 05:13 AM   #6
o_geokill----->

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
http://www.fortress-forever.com/?a=m...0070104_dm0006

lol

But yeah pretty good looking map. The red textures could be a bit darker.
o_geokill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2007, 05:21 AM   #7
o_tyrus

Not that the red textures need to be darker, but they definitely need to be more bright or vivid.

Here the red is faded and the blue is bright and vivid:

o_tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2007, 05:25 AM   #8
o_sta_sirtiger

"it is 1/3 of the map ..."
true...

Map setting: the beach! Where's this whole arena? A big hole in a beach (lol)? I'll see what I can do....throw some suggestions for the 3d skybox folks.

tyrus/Geokill - I'll see if Gator can make me a better red texture (since he did make me the blue one...)

Old 01-15-2007, 07:13 AM   #9
o_darksoul

good start, although midair maps shouldn't really have things hindering players flying up into the air!
o_darksoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2007, 07:21 AM   #10
o_rizzo

Make another more simple arena which is surrounded by walls (like tfc's midair) !
o_rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2007, 08:24 AM   #11
o_fragile

i personally think the squiggly corners look funny on the beams supporting the top. i'd just make it a regular 90 degree turn rather than 3 of them. BUTTTT thats just me.

looks alright mate
o_fragile is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2007, 09:31 AM   #12
o_tyrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragile
i personally think the squiggly corners look funny on the beams supporting the top. i'd just make it a regular 90 degree turn rather than 3 of them. BUTTTT thats just me.

looks alright mate
I was also thinking the squiggly corners were a little out of place. It seems like you are over using the ability to make curved structures. I'd also go with a simple "one" curve 90 degree structure
o_tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2007, 04:58 PM   #13
o_sta_sirtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksoul
good start, although midair maps shouldn't really have things hindering players flying up into the air!
taken directly from my first post
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
There's a roof, which will bring the argument that soldiers will hit there, but don't worry, you'll be able to go through them without a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo
Make another more simple arena which is surrounded by walls (like tfc's midair) !
thanks but no thanks - ever heard of player clip? It will be surrounded by it (so it feels like midair).
as for the squiggle corners, I'll see what I can do to not overdo them.

3d skybox suggestions anyone ?

Old 01-15-2007, 05:57 PM   #14
o_nezumi

The 3D skybox looks good to me, but the 2D sky needs to be all bright and sunny. I know you don't have many options now, but you could maybe steal the cs_militia skybox from CS:S temporarily.

(Also, I think the vtf for the speedometer is the one I made, although the vmt is probably Caesium's, 'cause that's the one that actually worked )
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2007, 05:59 PM   #15
o_sta_sirtiger

Could be Nezumi, since I extracted it from your map (thanks by the way). Yea I haven't been too happy about the actual 2d skybox just yet, but a rip wouldn't hurt at all .

Old 01-15-2007, 06:19 PM   #16
o_twincannon

you should take note that saying "oh and thanks for the texture" without asking (mainly talking about the PVKII one here) is bogus and will invariable get you in a ton of shit. Not to say you did/didn't, just letting you know.
o_twincannon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2007, 06:21 PM   #17
o_sta_sirtiger

TwiN, I know Nezumi would never have a problem with it, since he is a very helpful lad and likes to contribute.
and what if I were to told you that I'm running this map using PVKII configuration (you never know), hah .

Old 01-15-2007, 06:22 PM   #18
o_-=bingo-bango=-

Just to clarify, me and Tiger have worked out our problems and bounce mapping idead off eachother. Im just fine with him making a midair map and I honestly think it looks great

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian.de
no wonder you got frustrated when bingo released this map the other day before you could get your version out.
Actually I started and released my first version before him, and he had originally started this map in spite of me, but as he showed me media pre-release, I decided that I was fine having someone making a better one than me
o_-=bingo-bango=- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2007, 06:23 PM   #19
o_dirkpitt

would be better without the overhead stuff. They don't add much to the map and if you can go through them, is there even a reason to have it.
o_dirkpitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2007, 06:25 PM   #20
o_sta_sirtiger

For the looks? But I guess they aren't really needed...and can do some modifications so they don't go through the center (or most of the fighting arena).