Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 11-05-2007, 08:27 AM   #1
Gorlist

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Alternative Gamemode?

Noticed in version 1.1 Fortress Forever is slowly losing some of the classic TFC heritage which is a great shame, obviously theirs fore and against arguments, though my personal view is why change something thats not broken (TFC proved to be highly popular for a reason, and still has far higher numbers playing).

So, would it be possible to perhaps have two game modes? one for classic TFC as a direct clone & then Fortress Forever? (so server admins can decide what their after).

Some of things I have noticed is the Sentry guns are no longer as effective (seem very short range), heavily limited on where you can build, and no longer build dispensers near doors etc to try block entrances or slow down enemy troops.

HW are now effectively crippled - the cycle up rate delay would be fine if the gun didn't overheat, or vice verser.

The Scout is no longer as useful (the Medic is far better all around with speed & strength).

Its also a great shame the team infection has been removed.

Effectively its tampering with the overall gameplay, and removing a good number of tactical and enjoyable features, and is somewhat becoming more like what happened to Counter Strike or Day of Defeat and providing from the lowest common denominator.

Still very good work! new maps are looking better than ever, and new the graphics effects are brilliant. Looking forward to further releases.

Regards,

Last edited by Gorlist; 11-05-2007 at 08:42 AM.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:23 AM   #2
Major Lee High
Retired Mapper

I agree that they need different settings for classes.

There should be [classic] classes that are just like tfc, or very close (I like some of the little changes, like radar/pyro scream, that don't really change things) and then another setting for the changed classes.

It will make both sides happier and allow for even more changing to the new classes that can be furthered in new maps with objectives and things.
Major Lee High is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2007, 12:12 PM   #3
Private_Joker
a fucking comedian
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout and Medic
Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Private_Joker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlist
The Scout is no longer as useful (the Medic is far better all around with speed & strength).
The scout is still extremely useful. I play both Medic and Scout, and there are plenty of places where the Medic just can't cut it where Scout can.

Every pub server plays Fortress a little bit differently, so don't bother changing the whole game to suit what you want to do. Instead, find a server that works and stick with it. I'll agree that there are still a few balance issues with the classes, but don't worry about it..this is still Fortress.

-Joker
Private_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2007, 01:55 PM   #4
GhostBuster
SHUT UP AND SWALLOW

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlist
Some of things I have noticed is the Sentry guns are no longer as effective (seem very short range), heavily limited on where you can build, and no longer build dispensers near doors etc to try block entrances or slow down enemy troops.

HW are now effectively crippled - the cycle up rate delay would be fine if the gun didn't overheat, or vice verser.
Totally agree on those two, especialy on the one i marked.
GhostBuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2007, 02:14 PM   #5
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
"Classic" Settings = Load up TFC.

The team doesn't want to dumb the game down the way other games ended up, and it'd be really swell if people stopped assuming this was the idea. Making it easier for newbs to get into is one thing, but dumbing everything down as a result is not the intent.

They're doing the best they can with the limited resources (in development and testing, unfortunately) they have.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:45 PM   #6
Gorlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous

The team doesn't want to dumb the game down the way other games ended up, and it'd be really swell if people stopped assuming this was the idea. Making it easier for newbs to get into is one thing, but dumbing everything down as a result is not the intent.

They're doing the best they can with the limited resources (in development and testing, unfortunately) they have.
FF team have done a brilliant job! and certainly not criticising the work done and effort taken!

Old 11-05-2007, 03:09 PM   #7
Krusty

i trust the devs! they know what they're doing and its hard to make a game like this ! respect this, they cant listen to everybody! the game is great the balancing is nice and make a real clone of tfc and their own game is tooo much work i think (maybe only the damages and class speeds can be change easy) so let them do their job ^^ and wait for next patch or just play it ^^
Krusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2007, 03:47 PM   #8
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous

Is there a script to remove the Sentry Gun and Dispenser options from my weapon list? I hate having to scroll between 5 things just to get to my wrench. I'd much rather just right click, then choose an option to 'Build SG' or 'Build Dispenser'...

Maybe that sounds like dumbing down the game to you, but it's more practical IMO.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2007, 03:53 PM   #9
GhostBuster
SHUT UP AND SWALLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg
Is there a script to remove the Sentry Gun and Dispenser options from my weapon list? I hate having to scroll between 5 things just to get to my wrench. I'd much rather just right click, then choose an option to 'Build SG' or 'Build Dispenser'...

Maybe that sounds like dumbing down the game to you, but it's more practical IMO.
Why dont you use hud_fastswitch 1 and then touch the numbers? (1 = wrench, 2 = railgun, and so on)
GhostBuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2007, 04:12 PM   #10
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Because it takes longer to do that,

I use the ']' button to scroll between weapons, from left to right, and then I use my mousehweel up/down to do the 'lastinv' function so once I have my 2 main weapons(wrench/shotty) I can play fine, but here's where it gets tricky.

My grenade keys are 'backspace' and '='. This disallows me from using the ']' key to go to the next weapon on the list while I'm priming nades, and considering I'm a nade whore, that's not a good thing. So, I'm limited to my scroll wheel to lastinv myself to my previous gun, which in some cases is bad, because half the time I'm building a SG, and have to prime a nade pretty fast, which causes me to have no time to scroll through all those weapons to get back to my shotty... In TFC, when I had my shotty/wrench out when I was building, I'd have both those automatically, giving me the ability to immediately react to the enemy asap using lastinv and priming a grenade at the quickest possible time.

So no, that wouldn't help me because my fingers arre nowhere near the keypad or the number keys....
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote