Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Help & Technical > Server/Player Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2016, 11:52 PM   #1
TheKing
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Inside of your Computron
Class/Position: O/D Sniper, D Engy, D Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: s^., :e0:, -=[$D$]=-, -AA-, +SUF, .20, [AH(S)]-r, [ . ]-r
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
-== BoneYard ==- admins?

Sorry for posting this here, wasn't sure how else to get in touch with the server admins and google isn't returning results for them.

I was just playing a minute ago ( my in game name was 'rawb', steamid STEAM_0:0:13000537 ) and got kicked/banned without warning or really doing anything (pretty sure I hadn't said a word to anybody either). Was that a mistake or was there something specific that I was doing wrong?

I wouldn't make so big a deal of it but I like this game lots and there are only a handful of servers left out there, worth it to me to check if maybe it was a mistake...
TheKing is offline  


Old 04-10-2016, 02:53 AM   #2
homie in reboks'
 
homie in reboks''s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA
Class/Position: Soldier & Medic
Affiliations: ( ir :: ) iv| K^
Posts Rated Helpful 80 Times
You post one of these every time a new server comes up because you get banned every time a new server comes up. Seems like everyone thinks you cheat. You should probably just accept it as a fact of life, or play something other than sniper 24/7.

Anyway, you'll need to contact JuicyDD to get any real traction on your ban at the Bone Yard. Maybe he'll respond here. He drops by from time to time. Best of luck in all your future endeavors.
__________________
homie in reboks' is offline  


Old 04-10-2016, 03:32 AM   #3
TheKing
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Inside of your Computron
Class/Position: O/D Sniper, D Engy, D Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: s^., :e0:, -=[$D$]=-, -AA-, +SUF, .20, [AH(S)]-r, [ . ]-r
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
This is the first time I've posted on these forums since 2013 (and the second thread I've participated in at all since 2011). Also worth noting that I've been a member of these forums since 2008 and the only other time I've ever posted a thread like this was three years ago when I was banned from YOUR server (not cool btw, but I wasn't cheating back then either and I appreciate the unban).

I prefer the sniper class, but I'd absolutely abide by any server rules against it or I wouldn't play on that server. This is the first time I've played in a few months, but I haven't been banned from anywhere else in at least a few years (I get cheating accusations from players from time to time, but again, I'm really really not cheating).

In this particular instance I didn't get any feedback prior to being banned, just playing one second and kicked the next without being given a reason. If it's because the admins think I cheat that's fine (but they're wrong), just hoped for either a resolution or an explanation.

Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction in terms of who to talk to, but I didn't see a forum account with that username. Any chance you could PM me contact information?

Last edited by TheKing; 04-10-2016 at 03:52 AM.
TheKing is offline  


Old 04-10-2016, 04:47 AM   #4
homie in reboks'
 
homie in reboks''s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA
Class/Position: Soldier & Medic
Affiliations: ( ir :: ) iv| K^
Posts Rated Helpful 80 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKing View Post
Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction in terms of who to talk to, but I didn't see a forum account with that username. Any chance you could PM me contact information?
Nope, but I doubt it was him that banned you anyway. I'm pretty sure Guido is an admin on that server and he might be able to help you.

Also, there was a recent thread where someone, Bostwix, got banned from the server. You might want to check on that and see if you can find some useful information there.
__________________
homie in reboks' is offline  


Old 04-10-2016, 06:39 AM   #5
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester
 
FDA_Approved's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 291 Times
You were banned because one of the admins thought you were cheating. I don't know if you were cheating or not, but I do know the admins there have an abysmal track record of identifying and persecuting "cheaters".

The type of crack pot detective work that goes on there (I could give you examples if you, or anyone, would like) has dumbfounded me. It's registered an emotion I don't quite know how to describe. Not at all angry, but not quite sad, not in the least amusing, and not exactly confusing, because I kind of expect it anyways.
__________________
Currently equipped: Rad Scarf of liberating happiness.
FDA_Approved is offline  


1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:39 AM   #6
JuiceDD
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
:

Last edited by JuiceDD; 05-01-2016 at 01:14 AM.
JuiceDD is offline  


Old 04-11-2016, 07:56 PM   #7
JuiceDD
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
re:

::

Last edited by JuiceDD; 05-01-2016 at 01:14 AM.
JuiceDD is offline  


1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:37 PM   #8
TheKing
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Inside of your Computron
Class/Position: O/D Sniper, D Engy, D Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: s^., :e0:, -=[$D$]=-, -AA-, +SUF, .20, [AH(S)]-r, [ . ]-r
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
I responded to you in a PM last night a little over an hour after your response (way before that second post), but I guess you missed it. Figured keeping it private would be more courteous once I figured out how to get in touch with you, but what the hell here is the PM in its entirety for the community:


SENT: 04-10-2016 08:54 PM
SUBJECT: Hello there!
---
Hey Juice,

Good to finally get in touch with you! Yep, that link looks pretty damning doesn't it? I already know it sounds like bullshit, but it's the truth: that account belonged to a friend of mine in 2013 and I had absolutely no idea he cheated or I probably wouldn't have used it. If it makes a difference, this has definitely been mine since 2003 and has participated in probably a few dozen leagues without being banned (because I REALLY don't cheat): http://www.amxbans.com/user/STEAM_0:0:78535 . I started playing TFC in 1999 and was at one point ranked as high as the #2 sniper worldwide by a ladder called the top20 (in like 2000?). I was also a participant in a sniper-only league and a member of a team that went undefeated there over four years. I'm decent because I've put a lot of time into a game I like lots, I'm definitely NOT cheating.

Yeah I also created a handful of new accounts and rejoined your server as I was being banned over and over for no reason, but Guido has hated me for years for no reason and I was frustrated. I'd ask you to talk to several of the people in the community that I've played with over the years (bostwix mentioned that he knows you) and/or just personally spec me for a few minutes... I'm not cheating and it's obvious. People have been accusing me for almost a decade, but there's no demo because I'm seriously really actually not cheating.

TL;DR;

I am REALLY ABSOLUTELY not cheating. The only things I'm guilty of are using an account that didn't always belong to me and creating a few new accounts to avoid a ban that I didn't feel that I deserved.

Last edited by TheKing; 04-11-2016 at 08:52 PM.
TheKing is offline  


Old 04-11-2016, 08:43 PM   #9
TheKing
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Inside of your Computron
Class/Position: O/D Sniper, D Engy, D Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: s^., :e0:, -=[$D$]=-, -AA-, +SUF, .20, [AH(S)]-r, [ . ]-r
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Oh, and if any TFC snipers that know me happen by this thread and think it's out of character for me to use another persons' account: the name associated with that account is "sλnKt`" ... and the rest should be pretty clear from there.
TheKing is offline  


Old 04-11-2016, 09:25 PM   #10
JuiceDD
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
:

Last edited by JuiceDD; 05-01-2016 at 01:15 AM.
JuiceDD is offline  


Old 04-11-2016, 09:33 PM   #11
TheKing
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Inside of your Computron
Class/Position: O/D Sniper, D Engy, D Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: s^., :e0:, -=[$D$]=-, -AA-, +SUF, .20, [AH(S)]-r, [ . ]-r
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Rodox,Mafiaman,N1X - some of these sound kinda familiar, this is a sample from the list of other players who killed you lots? (only joking man)

Fair enough Juice, but you're blind if you actually specced me and still think I cheat. And this part of that rant above just sounds plain silly to me at this point: "Don't Insult my Intelligence, When it comes to cheating .. I know who's doing what and don't give a fuck about any...". Do have a wonderful day though, it's just a game and no hard feelings!

To everybody else:

I'm absolutely BEGGING the next server admin that's considering banning me for cheating to grab a demo prior to showing me out. Hell, the first time anybody posts a demo of me cheating I promise to show myself out of this community permanently and the guys that dislike me can breathe easy.

Should be easy to find or get considering how blatant I apparently am?

Last edited by TheKing; 04-11-2016 at 09:42 PM.
TheKing is offline  


Old 04-12-2016, 03:48 AM   #12
Exiled
 
Join Date: May 2010
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
point, click, dead, point click dead, pointclickdead... i r gud 2?
Exiled is offline  


Old 04-12-2016, 07:05 PM   #13
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester
 
FDA_Approved's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 291 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceDD View Post
Don't Insult my Intelligence, When it comes to cheating .. I know who's doing what
Well hey now, when you try to tell me that Cacalot (a korean player) is secretely Killu, because you looked up his steam ID, when in reality what you did was look up Matts steam ID, who has just so happened to alias as both of those players, I tend to doubt your investigative skills.

Now I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, with a generous stretch of the imagination, and assume Killu has moved all the way to korea, or plays on a VPN to make it look that way, all so that he can play laggy HW with a funny accent in the pub. How ever, looking up Matts ID is no way to prove that, Matt aliasing doesn't incriminate anyone else.

Or when you tell me that Rookie is secretly MafiaMan, and cheating in your pub, it raises some questions for me. Even if Rookie does cheat, which I highly doubt he does, I'm extremely curious just how you linked him up to being MafiaMan.

And then there was the time you banned me. I can't remember if you speced me or not, and I can't decide which one looks worse for you. Because either you didn't spec me, and then banned me off of a knee jerk reaction. Or you did spec me, and wrongly identified me as a cheater.

I've yet to see you provide a single ounce of credible evidence for any case of cheating.

The pub mgmt seems much more an angry mob, than a grounded group of critical thinkers. And that's just how the public facts look, sorry. Perhaps you have caught legit cheaters in the past, via some real gameplay reviews, and level headed discussions in private. But that doesn't really free you from how poorly handled your false positives are.
__________________
Currently equipped: Rad Scarf of liberating happiness.
FDA_Approved is offline  


2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:13 AM   #14
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 41 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDA_Approved View Post
I've yet to see you provide a single ounce of credible evidence for any case of cheating.

The pub mgmt seems much more an angry mob, than a grounded group of critical thinkers. And that's just how the public facts look, sorry. Perhaps you have caught legit cheaters in the past, via some real gameplay reviews, and level headed discussions in private. But that doesn't really free you from how poorly handled your false positives are.
Right or wrong, accurate or not, there is this to consider:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceDD View Post
Last time I checked I was paying for my server, That I let you play in ..If you don't like my rules then stay TFO of my server And that's the final say
While I've never been banned for cheating in FF(because I don't), I have to back up JuiceDD's right to police his server his way. Obviously people play there, else he wouldn't keep renting the server. As long as he's footing the bill for it, he can ban who he wants, for whatever reason he likes.

The only bad part about that, is that it could lead to someone being banned from other servers because someone thinks they cheat.

Have we forgotten that there actually ARE people who develop skills for specific classes? Doesn't matter if it's Sniper, Medic, Scout, Soldier, or whatever.

Sorry, guys... but the witch hunts need to stop.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox
See kids? Only Iggy and FT are good enough to post when high.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline  


Old 04-14-2016, 09:23 PM   #15
TheKing
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Inside of your Computron
Class/Position: O/D Sniper, D Engy, D Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: s^., :e0:, -=[$D$]=-, -AA-, +SUF, .20, [AH(S)]-r, [ . ]-r
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Right or wrong, accurate or not, there is this to consider:



While I've never been banned for cheating in FF(because I don't), I have to back up JuiceDD's right to police his server his way. Obviously people play there, else he wouldn't keep renting the server. As long as he's footing the bill for it, he can ban who he wants, for whatever reason he likes.
Yeah I absolutely agree with this, but if it's because you think I cheat then you're not paying attention and you're a bad server admin. And if it's for another reason (like you don't like something about the way I play but I'm still following 100% of the rules) that's fine it's not my server (but IMO that also makes you a bad server admin), but don't pretend it's for cheating and mess with my reputation.

I disagreed with Augusta's policy against allowing women as members for years too and while I suppose I support the golf course's right to implement such a policy, that certainly doesn't make them good golf-course admins. But hey at least they were honest about the reason and didn't claim Michelle Wie couldn't play there because she was cheating.

Anyways, it turns out my video card comes with this annoying plays.tv software that I've always intended to disable but never have; I was able to recover the entire session from my first-person perspective (recording exactly what I see I think). I stripped the audio because it's also recording the mic the entire time and I don't want Helga to punch me again for mouth breathing too hard, but it's completely unnecessary. I also tried to upload with better definition but apparently am bad at youtube, just send me a message for a high quality version if you feel the need.


Not trying to insult anybody's intelligence here, but if the things I'm doing in this video (a slightly below average day for me) are the reason I got banned then you do look a little dumb right now (and you might also be a bad server admin).

Last edited by TheKing; 04-14-2016 at 10:08 PM.
TheKing is offline  


1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:19 PM   #16
homie in reboks'
 
homie in reboks''s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA
Class/Position: Soldier & Medic
Affiliations: ( ir :: ) iv| K^
Posts Rated Helpful 80 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKing View Post
This video is pointless. If the BoneYard admins really cared about video evidence they would have already posted their videos of you supposedly cheating. They didn't. So, this video isn't going to make any difference.

Also, if you really wanted to be unbanned you probably wouldn't keep saying things like:
Quote:
if it's because you think I cheat then you're not paying attention and you're a bad server admin.
Quote:
if it's for another reason (like you don't like something about the way I play but I'm still following 100% of the rules) that's fine it's not my server (but IMO that also makes you a bad server admin)
Quote:
you do look a little dumb right now (and you might also be a bad server admin).
The few times I've been in a server with you you just snipe. You rarely chat. You don't play a different class. You don't capture the flag. You just snipe.

So it surprises me when you say:
Quote:
like you don't like something about the way I play but I'm still following 100% of the rules
Well yeah you're following the rules, but you're not really participating in the game. You're not really capturing the flag and you're not really defending the flag. You're just playing a sniping mini-game that the rest of the server has to either join in on or actively avoid.

Sniping isn't even that good in FF. It's super clunky. I don't understand why anyone who loves sniping would embrace FF's take on it and latch on to its sickly embrace with such dedication. But that's just my opinion (but if you disagree you're probably a bad sniper).

Anyway, I do think you've been banned unjustly, and you're in the right to want a better reason and justification for being banned. You should be unbanned till they have real proof to support their claims. But I don't think the community has lost anything too significant with your ban.
__________________
homie in reboks' is offline  


Old 04-14-2016, 11:53 PM   #17
TheKing
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Inside of your Computron
Class/Position: O/D Sniper, D Engy, D Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: s^., :e0:, -=[$D$]=-, -AA-, +SUF, .20, [AH(S)]-r, [ . ]-r
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homie in reboks' View Post
Also, if you really wanted to be unbanned you probably wouldn't keep saying things like:




When I originally posted I was specifically asking for a reason and/or if there was a mistake. Would have been great to get unbanned, but it seemed pretty clear from the beginning that the admins had already made up their minds without evidence and my primary purpose here (once it became clear that this was intentional) was to remind the community that I'm still not cheating and to defend my reputation.

If the guys who run the server, after seeing that video, realize how wrong they were in banning someone for cheating who obviously was not that would be fantastic - but there seems to already be an unjustified grudge there and so I'm not exactly holding my breath. I try to respect everybody when I first meet them, but the fact that you run an FF server isn't going to get you any extra respect from me until you earn it - and it certainly won't prevent me from calling you out for something like this.

They're likely going to keep me banned because they've developed an undeserved dislike (confirmation bias?), but at least they seem silly now if they claim it's for cheating. Would be more than welcome if they decided to be reasonable at this point though seeing as how I still don't feel like I've done anything to warrant a ban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homie in reboks' View Post
So it surprises me when you say: Well yeah you're following the rules, but you're not really participating in the game. You're not really capturing the flag and you're not really defending the flag. You're just playing a sniping mini-game that the rest of the server has to either join in on or actively avoid.
I can be a little shy, but I've made plenty of gaming friends here in FF and I can actually be quite friendly once someone takes the time to get to know me. That's also definitely defense, it's hard to get the flag if you have trouble making it to our flagroom. And we could have this discussion for months (and we have.. where's Bridget?), but the entire game is built on class interactions that the rest of the server either has to join in on or actively avoid. Don't like sentries, too bad you've got to play their game too. Personally spies frustrate me the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homie in reboks' View Post
Sniping isn't even that good in FF. It's super clunky. I don't understand why anyone who loves sniping would embrace FF's take on it and latch on to its sickly embrace with such dedication. But that's just my opinion (but if you disagree you're probably a bad sniper).
I like it, possibly because it reminds me of all of the fun I had in TFC. And I never said I was a great sniper, just not cheating. It's not the only game I really like sniping in: http://tuclan.net/accomplishments.php , but I do really enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homie in reboks' View Post
Anyway, I do think you've been banned unjustly, and you're in the right to want a better reason and justification for being banned. You should be unbanned till they have real proof to support their claims.
I was banned suddenly, unjustly, and without feedback or reason. Then was (finally, after getting no feedback in game and being forced to post here) given these completely unwarranted cheating accusations when I obviously was not cheating. If that doesn't make the server admins bad server admins... well I think I have a right to make that claim at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homie in reboks' View Post
But I don't think the community has lost anything too significant with your ban.
Except maybe its credibility? Plus I guess another player in a game that desperately needs more, but that first one seems more important than just little old me.

Last edited by TheKing; 04-15-2016 at 12:04 AM.
TheKing is offline  


Old 04-15-2016, 12:14 AM   #18
homie in reboks'
 
homie in reboks''s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA
Class/Position: Soldier & Medic
Affiliations: ( ir :: ) iv| K^
Posts Rated Helpful 80 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKing View Post
...and my primary purpose here (once it became clear that this was intentional) was to remind the community that I'm still not cheating and to defend my reputation.
You really shouldn't give a shit about what the community thinks of you. Plenty of people have accused me of cheating and have even made videos trying to prove something that isn't true. So I understand. I also understand enjoying a game despite it being garbage in some aspects.

Besides, from what I can gather, the admins on the BoneYard are a select group, well known for their toxicity. It's doubtful anyone outside that group really cares who they think cheats.

Basically, you're banned from the BoneYard and they're very unlikely to unban you. Unless you can really convince Juicey, or another admin you're going to have to look to play elsewhere. The nice thing about FF is that it's relatively easy for one person to populate a server.
__________________
homie in reboks' is offline  


Old 04-15-2016, 01:18 AM   #19
TheKing
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Inside of your Computron
Class/Position: O/D Sniper, D Engy, D Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: s^., :e0:, -=[$D$]=-, -AA-, +SUF, .20, [AH(S)]-r, [ . ]-r
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homie in reboks' View Post
You really shouldn't give a shit about what the community thinks of you. Plenty of people have accused me of cheating and have even made videos trying to prove something that isn't true. So I understand. I also understand enjoying a game despite it being garbage in some aspects.

Besides, from what I can gather, the admins on the BoneYard are a select group, well known for their toxicity. It's doubtful anyone outside that group really cares who they think cheats.
Fair enough, it just seems like these accusations gain traction when they're not confronted and I don't feel like being banned from anywhere else for absolutely nothing. Guido has been quoted recently saying that I'm "a known cheater" and some people actually listen to the shit he says and take it for fact when it is the furthest thing from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homie in reboks' View Post
Basically, you're banned from the BoneYard and they're very unlikely to unban you. Unless you can really convince Juicey, or another admin you're going to have to look to play elsewhere. The nice thing about FF is that it's relatively easy for one person to populate a server.
Convincing most of their admins basically took telling them that I was banned (pike has known me for years and he knows I don't cheat). But the ones at the top are apparently unwilling to see facts. This thread isn't really about being unbanned at this point though; I'll leave it here to be used in the (unfortunately) imminent eulogy for a game and community that deserved much better.

(I totally felt like Hemmingway writing that last part)

Last edited by TheKing; 04-15-2016 at 01:24 AM.
TheKing is offline  


Old 04-29-2016, 12:15 AM   #20
JuiceDD
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
re:

:

Last edited by JuiceDD; 05-01-2016 at 01:15 AM.
JuiceDD is offline  


Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.