Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 11-01-2006, 12:54 PM   #1
o_nezumi

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Eve Online, the glactic MMO

Thanks to some free time cards, I just got into Eve Online. If anyone else here plays it, I'm in the Legion Federation corp, part of the Amen Anera alliance, which normally hangs out somewhere in Gallente space. Post your ingame name and we can drop eachother lines.

This game is totally awesome, for those that don't know. You buy a ship, outfit it, then fly around in space being a space-pimp.

The game world is as big as a galaxy, and there's only one server so everyone in the whole world is playing together (as opposed to the 500,000 WoW servers which guarantee no one you know is on your server). The game is a little hard to get into, but I figure if anyone can handle a game with a steep learning curve it's fans of TF.

The other great thing is that there's no level grind. You gain skills at a constant rate, whether or not you're actually playing the game. Right now I've got a skill training to it's max level that will take another 9 days to complete. The economy is entirely player driven, with players mining materials, selling/buying them and manufacturing items out of them themselves.

The PvP in the game is a LOT better than the PvP in most other MMOs I've seen too, with ships actually flying around shooting at eachother in 3D space (although you don't actually have to aim your guns).

So, er, yea. Anyone play?
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2006, 01:24 PM   #2
o_loader

Sounds.. interesting.

Is there a monthly fee?
o_loader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2006, 01:49 PM   #3
o_sobe green

*grumbles about Earth and Beyond being the ONLY galactic MMO*
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2006, 01:58 PM   #4
o_df`

I've been curious about this game for a long time. It just seems so awesome at a glance, but I keep thinking, it must have some horrible flaws for it to have such a thin player base.

What's the combat like? You said you can't even aim your guns...where's the skill? How is the lag, are there concurrency issues...etc.

Previously there was no free trial, and I just dismissed it due to the high initial cost without really knowing what I was getting into. Now that they're offering one, I may give it a shot...even though I really can't afford to get addicted to an MMO right now...
o_df` is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2006, 02:24 PM   #5
o_dr zoidberg

www.fl-tw.com
o_dr zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2006, 08:43 AM   #6
o_nezumi

There's a monthly fee, but there are free trials and the download of the game itself is free.

The thin player base I think is due to the game having no marketing. I've never really seen any advertising for it. I think it's more popular in europe actually.

As for PvP, most of the skill comes from either micromanaging all the equipment on your ship or being able to coordinate with other people in your gang. There's a crapload of strategy involved in what you fit your ship with too, but it all comes down to being able to manage everything when you're in a fight. It's not like real time FPS kinda skill but it's better than Everquest 'press the attack button and go get a sandwitch' fighting.

Lag has never really been a problem for me, and the server was just down all day yesterday while they were upgrading their hardware and connecting to more internet backbones, so it should be faster than ever.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:46 AM   #7
o_loader

How many people online at once roughly?

Old 11-02-2006, 09:12 AM   #8
o_nezumi

I'm not sure, but I think I saw a news post recently (Like a month ago) that said the devs were celebrating 30,000 people being on the server at once.

Oops, forgot to post this link: http://www.eve-online.com/
The official website is down like 40% of the time, although the game isn't

Old 11-02-2006, 11:02 AM   #9
o_coldy

Yeah I just started a new char a few weeks ago. Eventually I intend to join goonfleet, but I'm kicking around in a newbie corp and empire for the time being.

Character is called 'Captain Tabouli' by the way. You're welcome to give me some money.
o_coldy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2006, 12:06 PM   #10
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
I used to play Jumpgate religiously, its a space game sort of like Eve except its not point and click, all joystick baby! Free flight space sims FTW! A lot of old Jumpgaters moved to EVE since it has a much larger player base, a few K at a time instead of 40.

Still might give it a try, I lubs space games.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2006, 12:11 PM   #11
o_nezumi

Ok, yesterday I found a cynosural field. I hung around hoping that I'd be hit with a doomsday weapon or that some doomsday ships would show up but no luck.

http://www.superjer.com/nezumi/cynosural.jpg

(Platanov is me btw. If anyone wants to play just hit me up ingame.)

Old 11-04-2006, 03:27 PM   #12
o_otiz

I played this game at launch. It was highly anticipated in Iceland back then. Only real game to come out of here, so there was alot of hype.
I lasted for about three months, this game is just so boring. Everything happens very slowly and if you want to travel to somewhere you click two buttons and then just watch your monitor for 30 minutes. I for one was reading a book while mining. That's when I realized the game offers no entertainment value.
o_otiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2006, 04:49 PM   #13
o_docwolfe

gets seriously boring after about a month.
o_docwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2006, 05:52 PM   #14
o_anshinritsumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe Green
*grumbles about Earth and Beyond being the ONLY galactic MMO*
Don't make me cry I miss EnB so much I've re-installed the Character & Starship Creator as well as watching/listening to the trailer and it's music over and over.
o_anshinritsumai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2006, 08:35 PM   #15
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
Dospacd is my char, been playin for a few weeks.

It seems good for a slow-ish paced mmo that doesn't eat all your time. For it to be interesting, you need to group up w/a corp and get some action that way. I don't think it would be too interesting as a solo pve type thing.
Dospac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2006, 12:45 PM   #16
o_nezumi

Dospac, do you need/want a corp to join? One of our Admirals has been recruiting like an insanopath recently. I'm pretty sure he's bent on taking over the galaxy (if he can wrestle it away from ASCN and their Titan ). Anyway we're probably going to get a station set up in 0.0 space somtime in the near future. I think we're going to start hunting pirates too even sooner, but I'm not sure how well that's being coordinated.

Old 11-05-2006, 01:05 PM   #17
o_loader

Doesn't beat WoW.

Wait.. Did I just say that out loud?

Old 11-05-2006, 09:22 PM   #18
o_df`

Hunting pirates? Is that PvP, or grinding mobs?
o_df` is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2006, 06:49 AM   #19
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
Real people. It fuckin owns. haha

I'm uber newb but I'll join ya. I added you to my buddy list, anyway, nezumi. I have a few friends who are probably also interested in a corp, or will be at some point.
Dospac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2006, 12:30 PM   #20
o_nezumi

Cool. Everyone's welcome, I'm pretty sure. RemusVI is the guy who's essentially in charge of Legion Federation right now and he does all the recruiting. Our main office is in Oursulaert II Astral Mining Inc., in the Essence region, if you want to apply.