Old 02-15-2007, 04:18 PM   #21
o_mrmojo

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
whats the new bhop cap?
o_mrmojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2007, 04:32 PM   #22
o_saberwolf

I've only played conc maps to help me practice conc jumping. It's hard as hell to practice in a normal pub with all the grenade packs being taken and ppl shooting at you and such. I know thats a part of the game, but as far as practicing a particular skill (that doesn't require shooting at someone), it's anoying.
o_saberwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2007, 04:45 PM   #23
PHISH
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
You act like 'top tfc' players never do conc or trick maps. They aren't mutually exclusive. Anyway there's going to be even greater possibility for 'trick maps' with the new movement stuff. Will you be able to port precisely the same geometry of a trick/conc map from tfc and have the same exact difficulty?...in almost all cases, no.
PHISH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2007, 04:46 PM   #24
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Well, there's not a lot of drive to consider conc maps yet b/c we're still tweaking a lot of things (like the bhop cap and player speeds) which would affect concing and such similar skills. Since things are set up so similarly to TFC in most respects, I'm fairly confident that at least most of what was possible in TFC will continue to be possible in FF. I doubt you'll be able to port conc maps brush-for-brush from TFC, but nothing's stopping you making new maps for FF

Edit: Damn you and your faster typing skills PHISH
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2007, 08:01 PM   #25
o_zsilver_fox

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles
Well, there's not a lot of drive to consider conc maps yet b/c we're still tweaking a lot of things (like the bhop cap and player speeds) which would affect concing and such similar skills. Since things are set up so similarly to TFC in most respects, I'm fairly confident that at least most of what was possible in TFC will continue to be possible in FF. I doubt you'll be able to port conc maps brush-for-brush from TFC, but nothing's stopping you making new maps for FF

Edit: Damn you and your faster typing skills PHISH
Ok, that's what I wanted to hear and get out of the way. After the explanations given, you've settled the subject quite well for me.

And several pro jumpers are highly skilled at CTF. Necro^vi, for example, also Muchez[x]. Folks such as MadCow are just LAN whores .

I don't expect to be put into beta testing, I just wanted to know why there weren't any beta testers that were capable of testing the trickjumping abilities of FF. When I first posted here, I asked if trickjumping would be similar, and was told that it would be about as close to the same as they could by rebo. I understand agendas change and such, but TJers were once a major part of the community, everyone from the league players who practiced on concmap_r to the serious folk who warm up by speedrunning ice3_r.

So I'll shut up now .
o_zsilver_fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2007, 09:12 PM   #26
o_thewetmule

Rawr! If I can't rocket/pipe/conc on FF I'll just learn to CTF.. Expect the nades flying at my own team!

This should influence you to make Skilljumping fun or else I'll tk j00 all! rawr!

Serious note: I'm looking forward to trying to do things on the new engine actually, I'm getting bored of TFC trick jumping It really is just stupidly easy now :/
o_thewetmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2007, 10:14 PM   #27
o_zsilver_fox

You bring a good point to the table, mule. A lot of it is either too easy, or insanely hard shit made for vi members. Conc_groove and conc_groove2 made improvements upon this though, being releases for intermediate TJers.

Old 02-16-2007, 01:57 AM   #28
o_nagash

I fail to see the problem here.

Conc maps will be made (should be made) to the limitations of the engine.

I doubt it really matters if concs are stronger/weaker/act differently/whatever. You will still be able to make stupidly hard conc maps, no? The only possible problem I can imagine is if you can't conc in midair (while falling) and gain altitude, or something like that.

Conc jumps wont be made (shouldn't be made) to the limitations/specifications of existing conc maps.

You can't expect to just port an existing conc map and for it to just work...

Edit: reworded a little in brackets since I'm not dev team and can't really make statements like that
o_nagash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 02:30 AM   #29
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
You can still juggle so most, if not all specialty trick concjumps will be possible. I'm not too great at that shit, but I could do a demo of juggling if we had a map that was tall enough.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 04:23 AM   #30
o_zsilver_fox

Get the trepids to make one then! Hell, I'll make one.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:33 AM   #31
o_gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandros
There's a lot more to conc maps than simple HH that you find in most CTF maps.
That sort of self-imposed limitation on 'normal' TFC play is what makes people worse than others.
o_gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 01:29 PM   #32
o_kenny

Location: In a mall, hiding in a gunstore, while being surrounded by 53,594 zombies
my worst fear in tfc = concs
o_kenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 01:35 PM   #33
o_zsilver_fox

So, made a 300 foot high map yet? I want to see some juggling!

Bonus if you start with a double hh.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:01 PM   #34
o_exoronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewetmule
Serious note: I'm looking forward to trying to do things on the new engine actually, I'm getting bored of TFC trick jumping It really is just stupidly easy now :/
dont tell me you finish every concmap in 10 mins
Concmap_r yeh

but other high skilled concmaps , you wish
o_exoronic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 03:28 PM   #35
o_mikefed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exoronic
dont tell me you finish every concmap in 10 mins
Concmap_r yeh

but other high skilled concmaps , you wish
There are some seriously quality concers around now who can finish a lot of maps under 10 min. concmap_r for instance has been done in under 1 min.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo
I will get flamed for saying this but i havent seen anyone good concmap player being even decent on normal games, in my eyes anyway
They definitely exist(ed) but I doubt many people have the time to become really amazing at both aspects of the game, skills maps wont help you get better at ctf and ctf wont help you get better at skills, so you have to put the time into both.
o_mikefed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 04:31 PM   #36
o_rizzo

True true, but give me a shout when you find one
o_rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 04:55 PM   #37
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox
So, made a 300 foot high map yet? I want to see some juggling!

Bonus if you start with a double hh.
How do you do a double HH?

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 05:39 PM   #38
o_scale

U shouldnt worry so much, the concing in FF is great.
And if it wasnt the devs can just change it and release an update problem solved.
o_scale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 06:18 PM   #39
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
Actually, most conc/skills maps from TFC should work in FF as direct brush by brush ports. Concmap_r was one of the tests we used in FF to tweak conc strength.

The primary difference in FF at the moment is the chaining dynamic is slightly different than TFC. A flat ground drop conc is a bit more powerful in the horizontal and a bit less in the vertical, but subsequent held concs while in the air don't provide quite the same additional velocity.

However, the conc radius is slightly increased, and because of this, very skilled trickers can get a significantly larger boost off of them if they time it very well. I would say this aspect is improved from TFC, as the skill curve is just a bit higher in the timing department for hardcore players. There is more room at the upper end of the skill spectrum, which should work out quite nicely.

I'm not certain if mirv coded them that way on purpose or if it just randomly turned out better. At any rate, you honestly have nothing to worry about, and you shouldn't assume that the dev team is so unfamiliar with the TJ community. Some of us have been around a looooong time.
Dospac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2007, 06:56 PM   #40
o_kami^vi

This increased radius intrigues me. I look forward to being able to try it...

I remember playing with schtoofa on IOD's server like 8 years ago, forever indeed!

Last edited by o_kami^vi; 02-16-2007 at 07:02 PM.
o_kami^vi is offline   Reply With Quote