Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 02-21-2005, 10:10 PM   #41
o_curly

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Actually, my LCD is only capable of showing 75 frames per second. Hell, in 1280x720 widescreen mode it'll only do 60 for some reason. (it gives me an increased field of view in games that support it, eg HL2, Doom3) I dont' mind though. Most CRTs I've used will show a little higher, like 85 or 100, but I still prefer my monitor; the colors are sharper and the the image is crisper overall with no noticibe negative effects from response time.(12ms) My monitor image looks imo much better than that of most CRTs I've seen, including the 19" dell monitor I was using previously; there's no question for me; I'm not turning back. Oh, and vsync is an absolute must. People say that with an LCD it's not neceary, but in my experience it's jsut as necesary as with a CRT. Besides, those extra frames past the refresh rate aren't shown completely properly in any case.

Oh, going back to what I mentioned briefly in the beginning of the post; as far as I know there's no way to play games in widescreen mode on a CRT without getting your image stretched. On my panel I get it DVD style with a centered image.

Just keep in mind though, if you're going to buy an LCD and intend to game on it, make sure you're willing to spend a decent ammount of money, as the good gaming LCDs I was describing are expensive, so if you're on a budget or don't want to spend much on a monitor, get a CRT as cheaper LCDs are not good for games.
o_curly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2005, 01:07 AM   #42
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Bob, I do appreciate what you're trying to tell them but some are not connecting with what you're saying. Guys...there is a physical rendering max that LCD panels are limited to. You might have your LCD set to 10 million FPS in the control panel....it doesn't change the fact that it isn't actually happening. LCD can't do what CRT can presently. The technology is coming....but it is not here presently. Like saying that new rear deck wing on your Honda's going to help you take my Mustang in the 1/4 mile....whatever helps you sleep at night...

Dos, I have seen the new Samsungs. I just built a 5 station E-911 system for a local public safety entity using the 910T's. Nice displays but not my cup of tea. I had been thinking of getting one for my son but he appears as sensitive to the blurring as I am.
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2005, 12:24 PM   #43
o_nuk3m

so even tho net_graph is reading 120 FPS, your saying its not really 120 fps? its lieing?
o_nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2005, 12:50 PM   #44
o_curly

Your video card is outputting 120 fps. However, there are two things limiting what you actually see. HL1's engine (not sure about HL2, but I think the same applies) operates at 100fps. Any frames over that are discarded. The other thing isn't cut and dry, as a little bit from each of the frames is usually shown, instead of extra frames simply being dumped-- this is the limitation of your refresh rate. It seems that many people here have vsync disabled from the fps readings, but you're not actually getting a smoother image with those extra frames. Your monitor can't show all of them, and ends up showing parts of most of them. (PS: if you really want a smooth image, turn on vsync and triple buffering-- the difference is amazing.)

Old 02-22-2005, 01:11 PM   #45
o_xstioph

I got 699fps on a "timerefresh" in TFC... And also... I've got a blue car... Just as relevant.
o_xstioph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2005, 02:18 AM   #46
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
Noc, for fast paced FPS games, notably Q3 and TFC, the default refresh rate of this panel(710t) was causing mucho blurring. Upping it to 70Hz in the windows control panel alleviated some of that, but it was still annoying in TFC. Reading more into the panel it apparantly runs at 75Hz but windows doesn't recognize that speed, some driver issue I guess. Forcing 75Hz from Ati's CCC and running everything at that speed got rid of the blurring I was noticing, mostly in greys. The refresh times across the color spectrum are very very good from what I've seen, with the biggest issue coming from various grey shade transitions and lighter colors in general.

If you weren't running at 75Hz, I would definitely agree, this panel isn't playable at 70 or 60. Text rendering quality and crispness in general are astounding though. Color and everything basically. I can't go back to CRT's hehe.
Dospac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2005, 03:54 AM   #47
o_curly

Well, if you have around $500+ to blow on a monitor, the Samsung 172X is the way to go for games. You can read lots of info about it at guru3d.com. (community of gamers) Many users over there have one including myself. I love it. (although it won't go past 60Hz [and therefor 60fps with vsync] at widescreen resolutions, which I happen to like using for games that support it, eg HL2, Doom3; HL1/tfc's widescreen sucks as it just chops the image instead of increasing your fov.)

Old 02-23-2005, 10:32 AM   #48
o_thedarkone

For several hundered dollars more, I can get a monitor with poorer colour fidelity, a slower refresh rate and a much narrower view angle.

Since I don't need the extra space on my desk, I really have no incentive to move to an LCD monitor.
o_thedarkone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2005, 02:45 PM   #49
o_curly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkOne
For several hundered dollars more, I can get a monitor with poorer colour fidelity, a slower refresh rate and a much narrower view angle.

Since I don't need the extra space on my desk, I really have no incentive to move to an LCD monitor.

Old 02-23-2005, 05:46 PM   #50
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkOne

You forgot that the more expensive monitor naseates me...does it come with a barfbag?

Old 02-24-2005, 07:39 PM   #51
o_nuk3m

i guess i cant notice anything different... im running my FPS fine on HL2 and cs etc... a solid 60 - 100 fps.. @ settings of 1024x768, with max settins w/o anti alias.(everything max'ed but anti alias which i have off)
o_nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2005, 09:27 PM   #52
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
Dead thread bumpage!! Noc, the 910t uses a totally different, slower panel than the 710t. Must defend the LCD's honor! haha

Old 03-05-2005, 12:43 AM   #53
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

lol....there's no more blood in it but I'd SWEAR I saw the horse move a minute ago. Keep beating it DOS!

Anyway, That may be but I am running with an 8 year old 19" Princeton that I love. I would have to move up, not down in size and I know the reaction time is better with smaller. I am fairly certain that I will be one of the last adopters of Flat Panel Displays. I have the desk space and I don't mind the power consumption.

Old 03-08-2005, 05:24 AM   #54
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Yea I thought the same thing myself. Took a bit of a gamble on this display, I had seen it but not really been able to monkey around with it before buying. Was worth it though.

Old 03-08-2005, 05:29 PM   #55
o_repair man

I don't mean to change the subject again, but I just ordered my new PC a few days ago before reading this thread and the part about ATi cards suffering in HL2 has gotten me a little worried. Its already been shipped too (should be hear Thursday), so theres no way for me to make changes. Some specs:

Pentium 4 Processor w/ HT (3.4GHz)
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
ATI Radeon X850 XT PE
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Is there anyone out there with a similar setup? What type of performance do you get with HL2? I swear to God, if I just blew all this money on a new computer and only get 40 FPS in HL2 I'm going to lose it.
o_repair man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2005, 08:27 PM   #56
o_soulcutter

I've got a Pentium 3.4 w/ T (3.4 Ghz)
1 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256 MB

I run in 1152x864 (or whatever) with 4X AA. I NEVER get below 60 fps (unless I'm hosting a server). And that's only in really crazy areas with lots of stuff going on. Usually when I'm hosting a server for my friends (CS:S) and running about 10 bots I'll get like a solid 40, but when playing by myself I get 80-160 most everywhere. You should be fine Repair Man.
o_soulcutter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2005, 08:33 PM   #57
o_ivaqual

Repair Man : IN THEORY, your computer should be able to run any Source game VERY comfortably (im playing with a 3000+;1Go Ram;6600GT AGP at 1024 with everything maxed out (and AA 8X AF 16X) and get 60FPS at the VERY WORST). unfortunately, some hardware configurations, no matter how 1337 they are, seem to get mediocre results for no apparent reason. Valve seems to be vaguely aware of this but an official statement is yet to be seen. the only thing you can do is crossing your fingers.
o_ivaqual is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2005, 09:52 PM   #58
o_bobserversupport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repair Man
I don't mean to change the subject again, but I just ordered my new PC a few days ago before reading this thread and the part about ATi cards suffering in HL2 has gotten me a little worried. Its already been shipped too (should be hear Thursday), so theres no way for me to make changes. Some specs:

Pentium 4 Processor w/ HT (3.4GHz)
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
ATI Radeon X850 XT PE
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Is there anyone out there with a similar setup? What type of performance do you get with HL2? I swear to God, if I just blew all this money on a new computer and only get 40 FPS in HL2 I'm going to lose it.
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2278

chill... lol I dont know where you heard that but the source was a moron. ATI and Valve worked together closely in the making of HL2. HL2 is taylor made to run better on ATI cards. Similar to Nvidia helping ID and Atari make DOOM 3 and Unreal Tourney 2004.
o_bobserversupport is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2005, 10:52 PM   #59
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Repair Man, just be sure to setup your BIOS and Windows carefully. Install the latest drivers for everything and you'll be fine.

You did buy a P4, which is the only performance hit you'll have.

Old 03-08-2005, 11:09 PM   #60
o_soulcutter

Yeah I heard the same thing that bobserversupport said.
o_soulcutter is offline   Reply With Quote